ERINMORE FLAKE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I've smoked this tobacco in the 80s and it was one delicious, fruity experience.  Not fruity like an aromatic, just so good tasting.

About 6 years ago I tried it again and was very disappointed. Decided, never again.

Then, about 6 weeks ago, it was on special at a shade over $6 a 50g tin and I ordered 6 tins. I should have ordered 60 tins!

This time round, I rubbed out the flake completely instead of fold and stuff.  And, lo and behold, it tasted 90%+ like the old Erinmore Flake I loved so much.

I've finished the 1st tin in record time and, of course, now I don't want to open another tin :cry:

Any of the brothers here still enjoy this baccy?

I ALWAYS have a tin of this handy to smoke as well as a few set aside to age !! I don't find it has changed much over the years, it's STILL a good all around Va flake. JMHO :twisted:

This was my late grandad's go to blend and he would have been smoking this up to the mid 80s when he passed away.

I've since had a tin or two for no other reason than to connect and reflect with 'Pa' in some way. Ended up quite enjoying it!

It's comforting to know it's close to what he experienced, SP, thank you!

Yup, I've smoked Erinmore Flake in the past but don't have a tin open right now. I have some aging and will eventually pop one open. Personally I find Erinmore smokes best with at least 5 years of aging. It's always been an excellent smoke for me when aged, I DON'T enjoy this flake fresh. 
I do rub this flake out well as I do with all of my flake blends. Even one of my all time favorite flake blends: Rattray's Marlin Flake. For me it truly lets the complexity of the blend last to the bottom of the bowl. 

I must be different than most because I also rub out my coin blends as well. I've enjoyed Peter Stokkebye LBF for years and have tried in the past to just stuff 2 coins into one of my favorite briars, was enjoyable. But if you take the time to rub this fine coin out well it changes the character and makes it a more complex smoke. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Can't remember ever trying this. Does the flake taste different from the mixture?

Richard Burley":x493hj68 said:
Can't remember ever trying this. Does the flake taste different from the mixture?

For me it surely does, I enjoy the flake but not the mixture!! I've also heard that from other pipe smokers. 

Forgot to mention: Erinmore Flake does not have black cavendish as the mixture does. Two different recipes. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":dt8lxywv said:
Richard Burley":dt8lxywv said:

For me it surely does, I enjoy the flake but not the mixture!! I've also heard that from other pipe smokers. 

Forgot to mention: Erinmore Flake does not have black cavendish as the mixture does. Two different recipes. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Heh. Good to know. Think I'll try some. The flake.

Richard Burley":xh3t7bz0 said:
Does the flake taste different from the mixture?
Two totally different blends as far as I'm concerned.

I've only had 1 tin ever of the mixture and I did not even finish it.

SpeedyPete.....thumbs up! The same here, it was that bad :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Don't waste your time with the Mixture!! Nowhere near as good as the Flake. I to rub it out thoughroly as I do ALL flake baccy's coins as well. MUCH, MUCH more flavour this way !! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah, the mixture is way different, It's more of a lightly sweet, fruity European style aromatic.

I smoked through a tin of the flake version a few years ago and I remember it being a fairly stout Virginia Burley with just a hint of some fruit like top note. Pretty good smoke but it didn't knock my socks off. This was the newer version with a paper label in a flat square tin.

Somewhere in the deepest recesses of my stash I have a fairly old rectangular-shaped painted lid tin, firmly sealed. Murray era, I believe. Been waiting for the right time to pop it. Too many open containers at the moment though.

I'm a fan. The flake, that is.

Only introduced to it somewhat recently in a trade, and the tins already had a few years of age on them. I found it quite to my taste. Ya there was a little bit of the fruity thing going on but it didn't smoke like an aro. Lots of rich 'ginny goodness, and the moisture level was perfect right out of the tin.

Cheers,

RR