Erlich Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Our friend JustPipes was curious about Erlich pipes. I honestly have limited knowledge of the company. If anyone knows more than I've stated or can fill in some details please respond to this thread....

Erlich was a Boston area pipe shop like Edward's in the midwest. They employed a couple of inhouse pipe carvers. George Bushee was the most famous. Erlich's highest end pipes were made by George. You can tell his pipes by either a GB stamped on the shank or a briar dot on the stem or both. Another pipecarver there was actually one of the sons of one of the Marx bros. Erlich's claim to fame was that for many years the pipe carvers actually made the pipes in the window of the shop! You could watch them makin' them as you walked by. Erlich made MANY basket pipe quality pipes too! You can tell these from the great number of putty fills that they have. Erlich also made a ton of cased matched grain briar sets. These are almost always classic shaped briars similar to Dunhill except for the fact that the finishing isn't up to Dunhill quality. Erlich closed it's doors several years ago

Unfortunately I can't give you info on their grading. I'm not sure what other stamping they used aside from the GB pieces. If the pipe has many fills it's a lower end pipe worth about $10.00. GB pieces are worth $100.00 and up. Cased sets and single cased pipes with precious metals can go for several hundred dollars.

I've seen hundreds of Erlich's lower end pipes and smoked a few of them that were picked up at flea markets and tag sales. I've never been overly impressed with any of their pipes save the GB's and a matched set that I own. (below)

DocksPipesRAwesome002.jpg

Dock...Great summary, thanks for the research!! And...The matched set is a beaut!!! I own one Erlich, a leathered-covered bulldog with a tapered bit. From it's age I will guess Algerian briar. It does smoke extremely well; what more can one ask!! :pipe: FTRPLT