ESCUDO ewe!!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Well, as some of you know or may not know I've noticed a big change in Escudo this past 3-4 months. Many have not but, I've proven it to myself that it has changed for the worse as far as I'm concerned .I had purchased 2 tins each month for the last 14 months and 3-4 months ago I noticed the change. It was so bad I couldn't nor wanted to finish a bowl. I found a good gentleman whom had some 5 year old Escudo and purchased 2 tins (all I could afford) and things were back to normal once again. The smooth buttery flavor with just enough spice to perk your taste buds and, with a cup of coffee hot or cold I was back in heaven.
Recently I thought I'd give the newer product another try so I ordered some more Escudo from a different retailer then I usually do. I opened the tin and it still smelled the same as the other poor experience I had, just a slight sweet smell of hay, not the strong sent as the older product but, I gave it a try anyway. About ten bowls later, trying to give it a fair chance, it just wasn't the same. Not as bad as the last time but, not much better. I have about 5 tins of older and one tin left of the 5 year old and needless to say I'm a bit depressed about it all. Escudo has been the ONLY tobacco I've ever really enjoyed to this extent and the gentleman that I got the 5 year old off of won't communicate with me now so I'm without options at this point. I'll go back to DNR and see if it'll do it for me but, I doubt it will. I'd ask if anyone knows of a good replacement for Escudo but, being that my taste buds seem to be so much different from many it wouldn't be much use.
Just peeves me off how manufactures try to cut corners to make more money and not give a hoot in hell about the purchasers. Here's to hoping I can find another Holy Grail and be able to stick my 3rd finger up at the manufacturers of Escudo for ruining the good thing they had. For those who don't understand why it affects me the way it does let me say this. It's like owning a firearm you love to shoot and then having them stop making ammunition or owning a car you love to drive and have stop making gasoline. Or maybe a better analogy would be if you really love a certain Beer brand and they stop making it and, all the beer that's left to drink is Lucky Lager! I don't drink no more and that still gives me shivers up my spin.

Sorry for your Escudo blight. I've continued smoking the STG stuff and although I can detect a difference, for me it's still a big bold brash VA/Perique.

I've still got 59 tins and plan to smoke them all.

It's near impossible to find a replacement for a beloved blend, nobody else makes anything the same as what you loved. Just a fact, it never materializes. I'd suggest trying some of the favorite vapers others really love and hope one of them pleases you, even if it's not your Escudo of old.

I'm not a big vaper fan these days but I used to be, maybe will be again one day. You know how it goes, suddenly a certain component just begins to disagree with you. I went a few years where I rarely smoked anything with latakia as I grew to dislike it, but now I can enjoy it again. Perique and I parted ways some time ago, but I used to smoke a good bit of it. All I can do is tell you what I thought were the best couple of vapers I ever smoked, maybe one of them will work for you.

McClelland's St James Woods. Best vaper I ever smoked. There are others that are more refined, more intricate, more subtle, but this stuff just kicks ass.

Astley's 109. Not a ton of perique in it but enough to know it's there, and it's very, very good stuff.

Thank you PD, I know I'll never find anything to replace it but, I'm hoping to find something that at least be another favorite. St. James I've tried and hated. Mostly for the fact that it's like beef jerky consistency and I could never get it to the right dryness to smoke it.
I've got some tobacco on back order and hoping maybe it'll be something I like, if it ever gets here.

I was going to pick up some Escudo based on my memories of it 20 years ago, but from what you've said and I've read and been told by others I don't think I'll waste my $s. For a decided VaPer I now smoke a blend 4Noggins puts out, their Prairie Wind . It's not a coin or flake, rather a sort of cross btwn a shag and a ribbon cut and I find it has just enough "pepper" in it satisfie my Perique needs. If you have'nt give it a try. :p

I agree that Escudo has changed some, and so has Dunhill Navy Rolls, though the latter hasn't suffered as much as the former. It would drive me crazy if there weren't so many other tobaccos I like to smoke.

I wonder Ron, do you suppose this could be the time for you to try blending your own favourite blend, you must know what went into Escudo, right, didn't have any weird topping or casing, so why not try blending your own baccy. Okay so making coins might not be possible but certainly your own Kake or Flakes and definitely your own ribbon cut, might just be worth a try my friend.

taharris":ifmu1dz2 said:
You might try Orlik Golden Sliced
I have to say, I really like OGS. I would recommend that to anyone who wants a VAPer. It is relatively cheap to try as well. I bought a tin of Escudo just to see what the excitement was about when I joined BoB. I may have gotten a tin with the new topping, but I was not all that impressed. Being the new guy, I was reluctant to say anything initially.

I have some other VAPers I have gotten as samples or on recommendation. I am working through what is open right now, but I may have a new recommendation just waiting patiently in inventory.

Briar Spirit":8fbyiusq said:
I wonder Ron, do you suppose this could be the time for you to try blending your own favourite blend, you must know what went into Escudo, right, didn't have any weird topping or casing, so why not try blending your own baccy. Okay so making coins might not be possible but certainly your own Kake or Flakes and definitely your own ribbon cut, might just be worth a try my friend.
No, I'm no blender and I haven't a clue on how to do it nor want to.
I'm tired and maybe lazy, I just don't want to have to make my own tobacco to smoke, too much involved. Ordering the all the components and then trying to get it right wasting time and more money. No thank you, it's just not worth it to me. I'm not going to waste anymore effort on something that's not really good for me.

taharris":ehw2mcj0 said:
You might try Orlik Golden Sliced or Solani 633.  Not Escudo, but solid VaPers.

Send me a PM if you want some samples.

Todd
Todd, tried Solani 633, even have some left, not to my liking at all sir. I won't waste anyone's time or money to have them send me samples. Been there done that. I'll find something if I suppose to but, thank you for your kind offer.

Thank ALL you guys for your recommendations but, I just can't take them respectfully. It's a coin toss at best. As I mentioned before my taste buds seem to be much different then many and I just have to find it myself.

I hate to hear about this. I've got a tin back in my cellar that I fairly recently purchased from my local shop. Hope it's not the nasty stuff. :no: 

HCraven":70d4c3o4 said:
I hate to hear about this.  I've got a tin back in my cellar that I fairly recently purchased from my local shop.  Hope it's not the nasty stuff. :no: 
Herb, Don't worry it's just me. Most guys can tell there's a difference but, it's doesn't affect them as much as I. For some reason I've always had sensitive senses in smell, taste and hearing. What I taste or smell is usually only me, I'm sure you'll not notice it to the extent I do. Enjoy sir

I feel for you mate, i know how much you liked that stuff.

Bummer about Escudo. I think Mike a.k.a. Alfredo was complaining about this a while back. I smoked a tin of Escudo last year and it was pretty good, of course I had no reference point to work from other than other Vapers I had tried. Definitely was not a "must have/cellar away" kind of blend, but it was nice. I prefer Long Golden Flake myself, and for a real complex peppery wallop Haddo's Delight. For me Haddo's needs some age on it before I can enjoy it.

Don't know if you have tried Bulls-eye flake but it is a really good coin tobacco. I noticed the change also in escudo, tried a sample a friend have and had a great hazelnut sweetness with a little tingle. Got a new can and it was all edges and didn't have that nuttiness to it that I so enjoyed with the first sample. Bulls-eye flake doesn't have the nuttiness that the escudo did but it is sweet and smooth with just a little tingle.

Good luck brother, YMMV. :D 

i.keenum":v20vg32d said:
Don't know if you have tried Bulls-eye flake but it is a really good coin tobacco. I noticed the change also in escudo, tried a sample a friend have and had a great hazelnut sweetness with a little tingle. Got a new can and it was all edges and didn't have that nuttiness to it that I so enjoyed with the first sample. Bulls-eye flake doesn't have the nuttiness that the escudo did but it is sweet and smooth with just a little tingle.
Bullseye is Marlin Flake in coin form...that may be an over simplification, but it isn't much of one. I'd say Bullseye has more perique. It's good stuff.

allyby":lcp0xw3l said:
I feel for you mate, i know how much you liked that stuff.
Ally my friend, good to see you here sir. Stick around and swap some lies.

So Ron or Mike (or anyone else for that matter), have you contacted the mfr and expressed your displeasure, and what were the results? Seems to me they should be interested to get customer feedback, even if it's not positive.

If there already was a post on this I must have missed it.

The tins I have are all from Lane Ltd, and are from a few years ago. I haven't notice any difference in them.

Guess I should get a newer one in and do an A-B comparison. If it's changed for the worse then I'll be out on this blend. Really liked the original, and is one that I clearly remember from over 10 yrs ago before I went into my pipe hiatus.

Cheers,

RR