ESCUDO ewe!!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BD, I tried 2 or 3 times and they they just wont reply. I'm not going to trouble myself with people who don't seem to care about anything except their pocket book.

Cartaphilus":1o37yr4z said:
BD, I tried 2 or 3 times and they they just wont reply. I'm not going to trouble myself with people who don't seem to care about anything except their pocket book.
Pity, that.

Seems to me that someone on this board might know of a rep that one could sound out on this issue.

Anyone?

Cheers,

RR

i.keenum":59mrz9rk said:
Don't know if you have tried Bulls-eye flake but it is a really good coin tobacco. I noticed the change also in escudo, tried a sample a friend have and had a great hazelnut sweetness with a little tingle. Got a new can and it was all edges and didn't have that nuttiness to it that I so enjoyed with the first sample. Bulls-eye flake doesn't have the nuttiness that the escudo did but it is sweet and smooth with just a little tingle.

Good luck brother, YMMV. :D 
It's on my list to try sir, I think I tried once before but, can't remember anymore.

Brewdude":v5p4kv09 said:
Cartaphilus":v5p4kv09 said:
Pity, that.

Seems to me that someone on this board might know of a rep that one could sound out on this issue.

Anyone?

Cheers,

RR
I don't think the change effects many other then me and maybe a couple others. Besides as long as they can sell that crap they don't care.

Cartaphilus":0ht4e51n said:
Brewdude":0ht4e51n said:
Cartaphilus":0ht4e51n said:
Pity, that.

Anyone?

Cheers,

RR
I don't think the change effects many other then me and maybe a couple others. Besides as long as they can sell that crap they don't care.
Maybe. But negative comments from those that know this blend might add up to something.

Worth checking out, in my book. Including and especially as it's a blend you know and love so well.

That's my 2c FWIW!

Cheers,

RR

Sorry to hear about you situation. Pipe smoking more than any other tobacco is extremely intricate in the pleasure experienced while smoking a particular blend. Especially for a blend you have exclusively smoked for so long.
However, the upside is that for many pipe smokers, experience a change in faviourite blends for other blends at some point in time. I am hoping that will also be the case for you. In fact I am certain that somwhere there is a blend that you will love.

I can only suggest a vapor that as of late, am enjoying emensley. Telegraph hill. A vapor that simply explodes with delicous flavor.
Good luck!

Hello all!

Well iam not sure if i should post it in here,but since5-6 month Erinmore flake has changed too.

The flavor isnt any more so dominat in the smoke and it bites now a little bit.

I smoked this tobacco since 2004 and it was always great,no bite good flavor.

Not sure if other detected this also.

Peterson University flake is another one.This bacci was really good to the end of 2005.

Flavor isnt anymore so intense and it doesnt stay all the way to the end of a bowl.

Its all in all with Escudo,Erinmore and Peterson UVF very sad.

Michael

I don't know how to date these tins nor do I know the date when they changed the blend but if someone knows and this tin is what your looking for there was two left on the shelf I can get them and send it to you
escudo10.jpg

That's from June 2012 same batch that was changed some where in the middle. The batch number on the right is different from the first batch I noticed the change but, being the same date it would be hard to tell if it was before or after.

STG failed to respond to my first query, maybe because I referred to them as "bean-counting banana-heads." I queried again about 10 days ago without response.

4noggins.com_Mike":m8rkxgyz said:
STG failed to respond to my first query, maybe because I referred to them as "bean-counting banana-heads." I queried again about 10 days ago without response.
Same as me sir, although I failed to call them any descriptive names.8) 

Last week I bought a can of Escudo produced in 2013, the first I've had produced this year. It tasted flat, flavorless, unlike what I was used to at all. My buddy at my local B&M had a tin from early 2012 so we did a comparison tonight to see if it was just me. Nope. Its definitely different. The rolls are darker in the 2013 can and the taste, well ... its just not Escudo. Could it be the age? I have no idea but I'm not buying it anymore.

We then busted out a tin of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls from 2010 (assuming the numbers on the can are similar to Escudo's dating system ... they had roughly 8 tins sitting in the store's basement for a number of years) and it was excellent, very Escudo like, aside for the fact that the VAs were more reddish.

This is quite a loss.

There may be hope. Russ let me try a blend he was working on this year at the TAPS show. He described it as Escudo from the days of old. He didn't have a name for it nor a date when he would release it. I lit up the bowl and in mid-conversation exclaimed, "Holy #&!@ that is good stuff"

GeoffC":3xwdmqkv said:
There may be hope.  Russ let me try a blend he was working on this year at the TAPS show.  He described it as Escudo from the days of old.   He didn't have a name for it nor a date when he would release it.   I lit up the bowl and in mid-conversation exclaimed, "Holy #&!@ that is good stuff"
Please keep us posted on that would you Geoff?
Sounds real promising and I certainly can't wait to try it.

Just got a message from Russ -

Russ Ouellette
It will be coming out early next year, but I don't have a name just yet. Keep your eyes peeled.

GeoffC":3tidt7lo said:
Just got a message from Russ -

Russ Ouellette
It will be coming out early next year, but I don't have a name just yet. Keep your eyes peeled.
Thank you Geoff, I will sir.

Hey, just curious, as a guy who's been on the same boat (though not with Escudo): How is your search for a suitable replacement going? Have you found it?