Escudo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonecoyote

Reaction score
I recently opened another tin of Escudo. I don't know if it's a Ph balance issue with my saliva but in the past year I just can't smoke this Navy coin/roll and enjoy the smoking pleasure of the past. It's nothing like the original but I've smoked and enjoyed 3 to 6 year aged Escudo. Now all I'm getting is an extremely grassy taste in my mouth. Similar to the taste I use to get in my mouth when mowing the lawn.

So, I had 6 sealed tins ( 4 to 6 years aged ) and an opened tin with 2 coins that I smoked yesterday and could not finish the bowl. So I made a decision: All the tins are going to be sent ( gifted ) to a friend that really enjoys smoking Escudo. He's already been sent a message that it will be shipped next Tuesday or Wednesday when I'm on my doctors run, oh what fun lies ahead!!

Is it only me that can no longer enjoy this Navy coin/roll???

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ted the Escudo blended today is NOT the same as it was 5+ years ago IMHO. Cartaphilus, our officiary Escudo expert, posted some years back that he detected a change. If I remember correctly it was so noticable to him that he began looking for a similar blend to the old Escudo. Last year I was gifted with a tin of Escudo dated 2011. In smoking it a few months back it was very noticable to me that there was a definate difference. At first I attributed it to the tin having some age on it but as I continued to smoke through the tin it seemed the differences were nothing I could really attribute to the aged sweeter Va. and the somewhat mellow Perique. I believe the components are different. I didn't start smoking a lot of VaPers until about four years ago so I'm not an expert nor is my pallet very sophisticated but in my opinion the formula has changed and not necessarily for the better. I think JimInks may be able to speak with more factual knowledge that I can. You might ask him for his input. :)

AJ

A few years ago, they started using Stokkebye Virginia in the blend. I guess they figured if it was grassy enough, cows would want to smoke it.

Thanks AJ, oh I know it changed a few times since the original and not for the best. The Escudo from 2011 on for me is not smokeable. It's been made by 3 different blenders that I know of since the late 90's.

I know Ron Powell enjoys Escudo and smokes a tin a month, use too be his favorite tobacco.

My friend still enjoys the newer releases so it's going to be smoked. He is the friend that just got back from Italy and purchased a beautiful Savinell Punto Oro Natural 320 KS for me, so this crap is going to a good home...lol.  I believe because he was a cigarette smoker for many years his taste has diminished.

Hope your sleeping and have a great day :sunny: :sunny:

thanks Jim, your response arrived while I was typing! I've noticed you don't smoke this grass either. Not even close to the original

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":fgtdp2o7 said:
I recently opened another tin of Escudo. I don't know if it's a Ph balance issue with my saliva but in the past year I just can't smoke this Navy coin/roll and enjoy the smoking pleasure of the past. It's nothing like the original but I've smoked and enjoyed 3 to 6 year aged Escudo. Now all I'm getting is an extremely grassy taste in my mouth. Similar to the taste I use to get in my mouth when mowing the lawn.

So, I had 6 sealed tins ( 4 to 6 years aged )  and an opened tin with 2 coins that I smoked yesterday and could not finish the bowl. So I made a decision: All the tins are going to be sent ( gifted ) to a friend that really enjoys smoking Escudo. He's already been sent a message that it will be shipped next Tuesday or Wednesday when I'm on my doctors run, oh what fun lies ahead!!

Is it only me that can no longer enjoy this Navy coin/roll???

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I gave up smoking Escudo a year ago.......could not enjoy it anymore. I've "blended" my last couple of tins with other tobaccos.

I'm still craving the original blend. With every order I've placed since then, I looked at Escudo but............NO !! Miracles don't come easy anymore.

I still smoke Escudo, there's just no replacement but, I have found that if you crack the tin open a day before smoking it and let it breath a while it does improve the taste.....for me anyway. When the first change happened in the blend I noticed a chemical after taste in it. I contributed it to a topping they may have used or the use of artificial Perique....yeah, it's out there.
Although it'll never be the same as it was I just accept it and smoke what I have cellared (about 5 years worth). Every so often I smoke a bowl that reminds me of the older stuff, might just be imagination or dumb luck. Which ever it is I certainly appreciate it. ;)

First disclaimer... I've never smoked Escudo!! Nothing personal, I never smoked much of any Va/Per until four, maybe five years ago. While visiting Myrtle Beach, SC a year ago; I ventured up the road to Low Country/Smoking Pipes in Little River. Picked up six Escudo tins (among others!!) for the aging cellar. After reading this discussion, I'm mighty tempted to pop a tin (I had planned to wait another year or two!!). Should be quite the adventure!!! I may even bore the hell out of the Board with my thoughts and observations :p :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":4m9qxeat said:
I may even bore the hell out of the Board with my thoughts and observations :p :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

My existance is boring. Boring indicates nothing new is going on so there are no requirements to intervene in a crisis, settle any arguements, or prepare for a doctor's appointment. Boredom is good so please feel free to bore us with your thoughts and observations. :lol:

AJ

ftrplt":27bztmbq said:
First disclaimer... I've never smoked Escudo!! Nothing personal, I never smoked much of any Va/Per until four, maybe five years ago. While visiting Myrtle Beach, SC a year ago; I ventured up the road to Low Country/Smoking Pipes in Little River. Picked up six Escudo tins (among others!!) for the aging cellar. After reading this discussion, I'm mighty tempted to pop a tin (I had planned to wait another year or two!!). Should be quite the adventure!!! I may even bore the hell out of the Board with my thoughts and observations Razz Razz Razz cheers FTRPLT
PLEASE let us know your opinion on your first experience with Escudo. I still remember the original, and the newer release is NOT even close!

The shame of it, it's one of Ron Powell s favorites, but the way he prepares it now he's still enjoying this coin/roll.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I will try Ron's "pop a tin for a day" suggestion. Again, my Va/Per experience is limited. Solani 633, Orlik Golden Flake (I think it has a bit of perique??), and after that my feeble mind is a blank :roll: I'm sure there were others! :cheers: FTRPLT

Escudo, what can I say?

Back when I first got into the pipe in the late 90's I tried this and loved it. It was a regular for me back then but I was just learning too.

After my ~ 8 yr hiatus from the pipe when I came back around '10 or so I sought this out again and was not disappointed. And even then, I was yet to be aware of various manufacturers and so forth.

All to say that Escudo has continued to be a favourite of mine. I have a small stash of it that I acquired back around '11 or so, and a few tins after that through trades. I'd have to ferret them out to tell you who made them, and that's too much work right now.

It's not the regular that it once was but do enjoy it still. And I clearly remember Ron's posts back when he made the claim that it had a chemical taste. I will defer to his experience as he has smoked far more of it than I have. I don't get a chemical taste however, but perhaps my tins are before this happened? Or perhaps I taste differently? Hard to say.

Tell ya what, the next tin I open will be Escudo and will report back with any tasting/date info.

:bball:

Cheers,

RR

Well my friend received the tins of Escudo and as I'm typing this he's smoking 3 coins well rubbed. Just sent me a text..." Thanks Ted I'm really liking it ". That's VERBATIM!
I'm glad that €£¥>% found a new home.....lol. Did not want to write what really crossed my mind.... :fpalm: :fpalm: :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":2dgmar2c said:
I'm glad that €£¥>% found a new home.....lol.   Did not want to write what really crossed my mind.... :fpalm:  :fpalm:  :fpalm:
I totally understand. Quoting Scripture can get a person in a lot of hot water these days.  :twisted:  :twisted:

AJ

KEEP ON PUFFING!!![/quote]

AJ":vm4rtq1f said:
I totally understand. Quoting Scripture can get a person in a lot of hot water these days.  :twisted:  :twisted:

AJ

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
[/quote]

Is that why I feel warm? Scriptures just seem to fall out of my mouth as easily as profanity out of the mouth of a truckstop whore. Perhaps I should read the Harry Potter series, or Mad Magazine instead?

Ozark Wizard":zgnq1bse said:
AJ":zgnq1bse said:

AJ

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Is that why I feel warm? Scriptures just seem to fall out of my mouth as easily as profanity out of the mouth of a truckstop whore. Perhaps I should read the Harry Potter series, or Mad Magazine instead?[/quote]

:lol!: :lol!: I think you'd be better served if you read Cracked Magazine. :twisted:

AJ

Yesterday was the day!!! I had just finished the last bowl of my 7 year old tin of Capstan Blue. Figured it was time to try the Escudo. Selected my venerable GBD Granitan Conquest wide-oval shanked 1/8th (maybe 1/16th!!) bent Perspex-bit pot for the trial.

Quick disclaimer, I have not read any Tobacco Reviews, etc. about Escudo. The tin was purchased in August, 2016 at Low Country Pipe & Cigar (Smoking Pipes) in Little River, SC.

Popped the tin while sitting outside enjoying our lovely WX. The tin aroma was definitely Ginnyweed, slightly sweet, very pleasing. I stuck the tin under my nose for a closer whiff, no significant change in aroma. If Perique is there it's very quiet! The rounds were moist but not "wet." Any topping was quite subtle. I let the tin sit for a while (not a full day, sorry Ron, I couldn't wait!!).

Slightly rubbed out 2 & 1/2 rounds for the bowl. With a two-match light, I was off and cooking!!! Even slightly moist, the 'baccy fired right up and stayed lit. The taste is definitely grassy with a hint of spiciness (the Perique maybe?). I can't say this blend is "creamy," but it is smooth & pleasant. The room aroma is more than pleasant! My wife even commented that she liked it!. Said it reminded her of Frankincense!! I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but she did enjoy it!

I noticed no particular taste change as I smoked the bowl. Pretty consistent all the way down to a fine ash. Truthfully, the blend is much more Ginnyweed than I expected. My 70 year old taste buds just didn't detect much, if any, Perique and/or Burley. If there, they are minimal. All in all, an enjoyable smoke. Comparison-wise, I think Orlik Golden Sliced is a goodly bit milder and creamier while Solani 633 has more spicy Perique.

One strange occurance to report. While smoking the bowl, I noticed no significant "nic hit." I'm not a "nic" fiend!! But about 10 minutes after finishing the bowl, I broke out in a T-shirt soaking sweat!! No upset stomach, but water rolling like Niagara!!!!! I'll see if it happens again!!

FWIW, my $.02 worth!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt

Appreciate your thoughts/input on the Escudo tin you just opened. For me the aroma was present but as you stated... where's the beef???...the Burley and Perique! Don't get me wrong, it might be smokeable for some, just not enough flavor other than GRASS... like the front lawn, not wacky weed.
Most likely you broke out in a severe sweat due to the nicotine hitting at the end of your smoke. Which can also happen if smoking a cigar. Last time I visited a friend on Long Island that owns a B&M, a bunch of us were smoking the same cigar. My friend John ( no longer with us, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and gone within a month ) was finished smoking his cigar and made a sudden stand up and right away dropped to his knee's! Hit him and only him like a ton of bricks. So, one never knows the effect of nicotine until it hits, or like me no real effect other then a slight buzz if it's a tobacco with a high nicotine content. Can actually get the feeling of being high.

Please post once you've tried a few more bowls. Your input will be well read.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Just goes ta show ya that one can not rely on just one persons review of a tobacco.
I find Escudo less grassy then DDNR and earthier while having a sweet creamy flavor that gets lost every now and then but, goes down easy with a normal level of nic. ;)

Ron

I agree with you, everyone's taste is different. Also due to Ph levels of your saliva, medications your taking causing odd taste. Before I became ill I was more of a Virginia blend smoker. Now I'm definitely more of a Burley blend piper.
But, Escudo is far off from the original which I really enjoyed. Maybe that's why I no longer appreciate Escudo in the past 8 years or so.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

To continue the saga...Last evening I popped some Escudo in my big ol' MM cobulator and fired 'er up!! I noticed no significant difference/s from my earlier (first bowl). Smoked well, nice and smooth all the way down the bowl! Really enjoyable...AND...no sweats this time!!! Again, I can't compare it to older versions as I never tried them. So I'll have to hold to my previous comparisons. I would like to compare it to DH Elizabethan, but even though I have many old/older tins on the shelf; I haven't popped a tin in years!! Too many jarred tins and/or bulks workin' for me right now!! FWIW, :cheers: FTRPLT