Esoterica - dueces are wild!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
allyby - is Germaine Rich Dark Flake available in Scotland (the Euro version of what they distribute here in the USA as Stonehaven) or is it as difficult to come across as Stonehaven is here?

So it looks like someone wanting Stonehaven...they can get the exact same item, except for the name on the bag...if they want to pony up and pay the UK piper.

Cause as we all know, RDF is Stonehaven, but bagged for Euro distribution instead of the USA where it is called Stonehaven.

Kapeesh?

Noted.

And the follow up question then, is it worth the extra cash?

Not to me. But each man has o answer that for himself.

What I WOULD like however is the potential to order some favorites of mine that aren't sold here, anywhere, ever...like Warrior, Mick McQuaid, etc.

nismo270r":cbs37zh3 said:
puros_bran":cbs37zh3 said:
Isn't Margate just unpressed Penzance?
I was curious about this as well...Margate does seem to be a bit "brighter" than Penzance to me. I suppose this could come from pressing it though.
I have smoked a boatload of both of these and frankly, I don't think so.

Penzance smells and tastes sweeter than Margate and there's noticeably more VA in it, also the cut is dramatically different. Penzance falls apart into tiny bits at the slightest touch and has a dense sooty quality to its flavor. Margate is brighter & spicier than Penzance with a drier flavor profile that is anything but sweet. Margate's room note smells more exotic and is somewhat reminiscent of Presbyterian. Also Margate's cut is practically shag, long and stringy. This isn't to say that they aren't similar in some ways, afterall they surely share some of the same leaf.. but IMHO, Penzance is not pressed Margate

Blackhorse":599owsoz said:
Not to me. But each man has o answer that for himself.

What I WOULD like however is the potential to order some favorites of mine that aren't sold here, anywhere, ever...like Warrior, Mick McQuaid, etc.
Yes on the Mick McQuaid... Certainly have never had it, but I believe this is something I could love!

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Margate is not rubbed out Penzance? I guess it's a question about process, etc.

And Nate...Warrior's the ONE! To me, it's a chunk of serious!

Yeah, I knew that I guess. Popular vendor too. I just kinda keep forgetting about them being there for some reason. Might be my natural inclination toward being CHEAP! $28 for a 50 gm plug of ANYTHING is a bit steep for me. Even for warrior, there's a line in the sand, so to speak. Maybe some day I'll have some mad money in hand and then I'd get five for $90 with the discount and be good for a few years. I've got one plug unopened as we speak, should break it out and enjoy...you know, that bus might be heading my way! lol

Read a review or two on TR.com that basically bunches Warrior, MMcQuaid, and Peterson 3P's in the same category, noting MM the sweetest of the three. Found this kind of interesting, since I'm not a huge fan of P3P... Going to check that website out...

Smoked all three. Warrior has the most flavor, then McQuaid, then the P3P. Add Reavor to the bin (for a hint of Latakia if you like it). I also hear Walnut is in the same vein, but never had it to try.

I would pick the Brit plugs over Pete's any day. But you can get the P3P here, and for US prices (about half what one pays for items ordered from the UK).

I purchased 250 gm of J F Germain's Rich Dark Flake from GQ Tobaccos, it is not the same as Stonehaven.

Blackhorse":tiqulhfy said:
Add Reavor to the bin (for a hint of Latakia if you like it).
Have to disagree with you on that my esteemed mentor. I smoke Revor regularly, and there's no Lat-weed in it. Yes there is some smoky dark-fired character, but it surely must come from the process of flu curing and pressing of the KY/Burleys. If there was any true Lat-weed I'd pick it out in a heartbeat.

FWIW here's the skinny on the TR site-

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Revor Plug

A blend of flue and fire cured tobaccos pressed and baked into a glossy black bar. Favoured by experienced pipesmokers who demand a strong cool satisfying smoke.

Notes: For a long time this blend has been listed under the brand 'Manchester Tobacco'; however, the package I have makes no mention of any company other than Gawith Hoggarth & Co. I believe that this has been the case for some years now.
Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Virginia/Burley
Contents Kentucky, Virginia
Flavoring None
Cut Plug
Packaging 50g Pouch
Country UK
Production Currently available

Blackhorse":tiqulhfy said:
I also hear Walnut is in the same vein, but never had it to try.
I can help you out with this amigo. Have some older stuff but it does purport to contain Lat-weed, albeit in small amounts. If you'd like some then ping me.

Cheers,

RR

BH, you may be right about the margate-Penzance thing.... I'm just going off what (Insert big name In the pipe world) said 8-10 years ago.. In other words I have no idea...lol