Esoterica Tobacciana Penzance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just posted the following review on TR (the 258th person to do so), reproduced here for your edification:

Esoterica Tobacciana Penzance

A beautifully sliced crumble cake composed of predominantly dark brown flakes mottled with tan flecks and lighter brown and black streaks. What is assumed to be sugar bloom can be found on older examples.

The tin nose is strong, yet inviting; dominated by a pungent, musty, slightly sweet and smoky aroma which translates largely intact into the bowl.

Although quite moist in the tin, being of a delicate sort the crumble cake presentation requires due diligence in handling. In those cases when the extraction of a slice or two has not already resulted in the production of small chunks which can be dropped into the pipe straight away, a very gentle rubbing does the trick. In most instances a simple gravity feed followed by a light tamp or two is more than enough to prepare a bowl, although one should pay close attention going in as strips and chunks can quickly swell and seize up after lighting should the initial pack be too ambitious. Properly prepared, however, one is sure to be rewarded with a lovely smolder. When possible, this reviewer prefers to load a mix of strips, chunks, and odd bits together into the same bowl. However prepared, topping the bowl with a bit of kindling is strongly recommended for a quick and even light.

In the pipe Penzance presents a savory Oriental-forward smoke. Rich with a marked creaminess, on the high side it offers sweet wood smoke, dried fruit, and camphor, while its lower register harbors notes of aged Assam tea, salted meat, and peat. Clearly the dominant player in the blend, the Oriental components are truly sublime: musty, just a tad sour, with a dark, savory quality reminiscent of morel mushrooms. Not to be outdone, the Virginia(s) are soft and sweet and the Latakia neither heavy nor cloying. There is a depth here which in this reviewer’s experience is as apt to inspire as it is to confound, with each bowl revealing yet another layer. Towards the heavy side of medium bodied, the finish is dry, musty, and deliciously pungent. As one might expect, tongue bite is never an issue. While it can leave behind a rather tenacious ghost, and while it will do reasonably well just about anywhere, for those who wish to really explore its depths it is well worth the time and effort to audition a number of pipes until just the right one is found. When this happens, all cannot but be right with the world.

As savory an English/Balkan cake as one is likely to get, there is nothing quite like Penzance, and there is good reason that it has attracted so much attention over the years. Although it is probably not an everyday smoke for most (I like it best late at night, particularly when there is a full moon), barring glitches in availability there is little reason that at least a few tins should not be found in the cellar of every serious piper. While quite moist in the tin, in this reviewer’s experience Penzance has a tendency to dry rather quickly when left alone, so unless one favors crumbs and dust, the foil pack version should be tightly sealed or jarred soon after opening and the contents of the rectangular 2oz. tin consumed within a reasonable amount of time after popping, even when insulated with a baggy or such like.

Nice review. This one has been on my list for a while now.

Delivering no nicotine, it was as profound a disappointment as revered by the majority. I don't believe the 'ghost' aftertaste is any sort of tobacco, and is as noted, very persistent. I chucked the remainder of 8oz into a Mason with no plan to smoke it again, never say never. Perhaps it is the shape of things to come in small beer tobacco, all taste and no filling.

A solid review as usual. I would add that letting it air out a bit to dry for 20 mins really makes this blend shine. I have been smoking this without rubbing it out, with crumbs on to for kindling and it is even more complex.

the macdonald":xr61fnxq said:
A solid review as usual. I would add that letting it air out a bit to dry for 20 mins really makes this blend shine. I have been smoking this without rubbing it out, with crumbs on to for kindling and it is even more complex.
Very good point on the airing. When at home, normally I like to carefully pull out two slices and let them sit on the drying tray (a shallow, wooden bowl) for a time before loading up the pipe. I have been less successful than you, I fear, however in getting wholly unrubbed slices to work well consistently (I think that is an issue of my technique, which is not very refined in this instance - but have had it work on occasion in certain pipes. Quite nice, as I recall.

Recently, I have more or less dedicated a wonderful old Sasieni bent apple to the blend because it took it to it so well.

Aaron":kt20k9su said:
This one has been on my list for a while now.
This brings up a point, which someone here might have some info. on (I don't). I have noticed that recently many e-tailers have been out of Penzance (but have many of the other offerings in the line available). Does anybody know why? I recall hearing that there were some changes at Butera with Mike retiring and all, but that the Germain-made Esoterica line would continue to be available. I assume that the lack of available Penzance (not total, just some e-tailers) is just a matter of the retailers waiting for a new shipment from Germain? Any one know anything?

Herzl":r2en0fgt said:
Delivering no nicotine, it was as profound a disappointment as revered by the majority. I don't believe the 'ghost' aftertaste is any sort of tobacco, and is as noted, very persistent. I chucked the remainder of 8oz into a Mason with no plan to smoke it again, never say never. Perhaps it is the shape of things to come in small beer tobacco, all taste and no filling.
What might the 'ghost' be if not the Orientals/Latakia? Did you detect a casing or topping of some sort here? I have never noticed one, but am perhaps not as familiar with the Germain offerings as I could be - perhaps there is a house topping of sorts which I missed? Any clues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I would strongly disagree that Penzance has any kind of topping. I have smoked most of Esoterica's blends and though there are similarieties amoung the blends there is no 'house topping'. It is a very Oriental heavy blend (Latakia is an Oriental) that can and will suprise people with its full flavor. One not acclimated to the original Aromatic blends (old school for Balkens) may not understand that various tobaccos can and do have many varied flavors without any topping or sause added.
I would agree totally that there is little nicotene... but when has anyone claimed Oriental blends are strong in the nicotene department.

Penzance is a star performer among blends currently available. Other than the typical "I don't smoke Latakia blends, this stuff sucks" type reviews it has always reviewed well. Consistant blending, good flavor, great presentation, very good burn rate... Other than not turning one green from nicotene poisening, whats not to like if you prefer Oriental Heavy blends?

Thank you for the review Kap.

puros_bran":vyy1v2mc said:
I would strongly disagree that Penzance has any kind of topping.
That is what I thought as well, but since the issue was brought up thought I should ask about it for the sake of being charitable. That is the first time, actually, I have ever heard it mentioned that it might contain something in addition to the fragrant Orientals and Latakia which seem to me to clearly be the perfumed element which leaves the tell-tale ghost. Thanks for the very informative addition!

Also, the presence or absence of nicotine is not a universal characteristic which wins or kills a blend for me. You are totally right that in this genre (Oriental-heavy) one should not expect much in the way of nicotine in the first place!

puros_bran":d1huibcy said:
I would strongly disagree that Penzance has any kind of topping.
I didn't call it a topping. To test the issue, given that I don't know what's in it, I bought straight blending latakia and orientals, and this persisting aftertaste isn't conveyed by any tobacco. Not pretending to be an expert, I have smoked other orientals and lakatia blends and none convey that persistent chemical aftertaste. My assertion is that a persisting aftertaste is incompatible with natural tobacco, plenty of which I have smoked.

One not acclimated to the original Aromatic blends (old school for Balkens) may not understand that various tobaccos can and do have many varied flavors without any topping or sause added.
Since you are familiar, what s'il vou plais' is that aftertaste then? And while you're at it, what other blends of the class you cite, convey such a persistent aftertaste. I need to learn. Enlighten me please, master.

I would agree totally that there is little nicotene... but when has anyone claimed Oriental blends are strong in the nicotene department.
Not representing myself as a tobacconist, and this being my first experience with a mixture with no nicotine; some I have considered low or less, but none? This would have been a useful bit of information since, I'd have never purchased such a 'smoking mixture.' I readily concede that had I known what I do now, I wouldn't have touched it. That's the reason I said it.

I apologize that you experience that as offensive, and inappropriate to say.

The blending oriental I purchased had no nicotine, but in my lack of familiarity, I am not aware that a blend containing orientals conveys this expectation. Even in my lowly uneducated state, I am aware that plenty of latakia blends have nicotine. There's a far cry from your hysterical fantasy of turning green with nicotine poisoning, and none.

Are you providing me with the information that all blends containing orientals have
'little nicotene
[No nicotine]?

I don't think PB took offense to what you wrote Herzl. I may be out of line here but I think when you said it had a non tobacco aftertaste we usually (but not always) assume one is talking about a flavor topping or something of that nature. Since you cited it as a chemical aftertaste we, who don't smoke Aro's, tend to find them (Aro's) chemically tasting and maybe that's what PB thought. It's sort of what I thought. Anyway just trying to help. Disregard as needed.

Herzl, It is well that you respect my all knowing tobacco knowledge. I mean it should be clear to the mere mortals enjoying the leaf that I am that good. :D :D :D

Bro in all seriousness, you offered your opinion... I offered mine.... they don't agree, big whoop.. Subjective things like flavor and strength seldom do. I didn't take offense, I hope you didn't either.

To determine what it is you are tasting I'd have to have a description a little greater than 'aftertaste' . :p There are tons of flavors there...

As for 'no nicotine' I would still disagree.... All tobacco has nicotine. Whether its at a level you can perceive is a totally different story. Body Chemistry, a strong tolerance for Vitamin N, etc etc etc.. Who knows? A high tolerance is not a bad thing to have though, it opens up a whole new deal of being able to smoke 5 Brothers, GH Ropes, and other high output blends with little problem.

(Kap, sorry for derailing your thread)

I am relieved that no offense was given as I had interpreted.

For better or worse, I don't even care whether something has some 'topping' or not; 1792 has tonquin, and I like it fine. I did find the Penzance aftertaste remarkable because of its unnatural persistence, but with no coherent opinion on it other than that. That of itself was not relevant criticism but more of an observance of something else I didn't like, because the simple reason I will never like it is there being no nicotine. How it tasted or after-tasted was a moot issue since that isn't the reason I won't smoke it again. I considered deer tongue as a possibility, but haven't bought it to test yet. I will. Apparently, I'm curious enough to waste money trying to figure it out.

Accordingly, I've disqualified myself from writing those formally formatted reviews since those who like nicotine and those who don't seem to be a tale of two cities, ships passing in the night; meanings of the same terminology don't seem to coincide. I don't care about descriptions I can't reliably interpret, or that don't represent my interests. Simply, if people who like what I know I like, like it, I'll try a pound.

My question as to whether all oriental blends have inherently low nicotine was sincere. Add to that now, 'Balkans.' As heartily as I expect some to eschew my 1972 and ropes, I hope to avoid any repetition of the waste of resources low nicotine 'smoking mixtures' represent for me. At the same time, I am going to explore on my journey.

Is it true that 'Balkans' and blends with orientals are to be expected to have little to no nicotine?

Penzance was an oddity to me. I really liked it at first, finding it bold yet muted somehow. About half way through my only tin however it turned on me. At least one other here has had a similar experience. It ghosted several pipes for me as well, though I didn't suspect any topping or casing. I recall Penzance to be quite oily in the tin, to the point that there was actually oily residue on the wax paper tin lining. For me at least, these oily properties didn't clear up even when resting a pipe for several days following a smoke. This seemed to me at least to accumulate and ghost the few pipes I'd tried it in. Fortunately, the ghosting was easily remedied by application of other (for me) more agreeable mixtures.

I really wanted to like Penzance as it is enjoyed the world over by many a pipe smoker. Sadly I didn't, but that's all the better for those who enjoy it. You'll have no competition from me for the odd supply issues some have noted.

Kapnismologist":3xskk8ie said:
the macdonald":3xskk8ie said:
Very good point on the airing. When at home, normally I like to carefully pull out two slices and let them sit on the drying tray (a shallow, wooden bowl) for a time before loading up the pipe. I have been less successful than you, I fear, however in getting wholly unrubbed slices to work well consistently (I think that is an issue of my technique, which is not very refined in this instance - but have had it work on occasion in certain pipes. Quite nice, as I recall.

Recently, I have more or less dedicated a wonderful old Sasieni bent apple to the blend because it took it to it so well.
The trick is to pack less than you think you need in a bowl and top it with crumbs so it is properly lit when it hits the flakes. I make a loose cigar shape, mabe 15-20% smaller than the bowl out of the slices and stuff it carefully into the bowl trying to get the looser end up top. Not every bowl is a success, but when it is, it is worth the failures.

I think this a weak nicotine blend also. I believe VA's are generally high in nicotine, btu I though Oriental were also high on the list.

the macdonald":4q6v4cc8 said:
The trick is to pack less than you think you need in a bowl and top it with crumbs so it is properly lit when it hits the flakes. I make a loose cigar shape, mabe 15-20% smaller than the bowl out of the slices and stuff it carefully into the bowl trying to get the looser end up top. Not every bowl is a success, but when it is, it is worth the failures.

I think this a weak nicotine blend also. I believe VA's are generally high in nicotine, btu I though Oriental were also high on the list.
Cool, thanks - I will give it a shot!

ah, penzance! when i'm in the mood for you, only you will do! i have been smoking and cellaring this since 1996 and I have found wide differences in taste over the years. sometime in 97 or early 98, these blends were changed. the three esoterica's I smoked were penzance, dunbar and dorchester. I've had tins of penzance that were oriental heavy, meaning that perfume taste and others that were heavy lat tasting. I've had some tins taste and smell like cow manure, which were interesting. some tins were on the dry side, some wet and the last tin I bought last year the tobacco was sticky! but it has always been penzance, which I appreciate. I remember robert mcconnells when they were all natural and now? sprayed! thank god for the american blenders. the european blenders are rapidly declining in quality. of course taste is subjective. just my .02

vaperfavour":labjk34j said:
ah, penzance! when i'm in the mood for you, only you will do! i have been smoking and cellaring this since 1996 ...
That is actually quite fascinating. Very useful information should one come into possession of some older samples - the earliest I have represented in my cellar at the moment, jarred only, is from around 2002. Do you happen to know, or recall (or perhaps you have some examples in the cellar) when the Butera shift happened? That is, when did Germain begin putting the "... for Butera Pipe Company" on the label to replace "...for Esoterica Tobacciana"? If you might happen to know the year, that would be awsome. Here is a snapshot of two pre-Butera tins cellared in 1999 which I archived from S. Fallon's site a while back:

And here is the current tin (copied and pasted from Rich's site since my camera battery is charging right now):

Any info., if you happen to know, would be welcome.

the earliest I remember the tin change was 2002, but the blend itself changed slightly in taste 3 times that im sure of. if you come across any from 96 or earlier, break the bank! imho that is when it was best. in fact, if memory serves all the esoterica's were best mid-nineties. last summer I cracked a tin of dunbar from 97 that imho is unmatched in the " dry" vaper category. penzance has only been an occasional winter smoke for me. when I get home in july i'll check my tins and get back to you with more info. not to sound paranoid, but I think a lot of blenders sneek inferior leaf and poor qc into tins thinking we won't notice! but like the buddha says all things change! hmmm.. how bout a specific thread where blend changes can be reported?

I'm glad someone else thinks this has changed over the years. I thought it was my tastes changing.

The last tin I tried was two years ago and had to chuck most of it. Still have one on the shelf but am afraid to open it.

10-15 years ago I had a two hour smoke of this that I thought was absolute Perfection, but never recaptured it.