Estate pipe treatmen

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregE

Reaction score
I took the advice of one of the members here and got some estate pipes but I was wondering how you guys treat the pipes when they come in, and how you sterilize them? If there are teeth marks on the bit, I think I want to send it off and have it buffed out....
thanks for the advice.

If the pipe is in good shape and you just want to sterilize the stem, a good scrubbing with 91% Isopropyl alcohol with the help of bristle cleaners inside and out will kill the germs and remove any gunk build up. After that a good rinsing with water followed by regular cleaners to dry the inside of the stem and the pipe will be ready to smoke. The alcohol will damage stain on the bowl pipe by the way.

For touch up on the outside, I use Brebbia stem polish and Briar Wipe.

Jim

Thanks for the help...I am anxious for my pipes to get here...I havent gotten any real expensive pipes yet...just some 150 to 200 dollar pipes to get me started. With 6 kids and 2 of them in college, I will be happy with the "low road" pipes for now...

Greg,

Check smokersforums.org and pipemakersforum.com. They have great maintenance sections where you'll be able to find answers to all your pipe fixing and upgrading questions. Try also forum.pipes.org, where the information is perhaps easier to find. Finally, you can always Google ASP...

Yo, Greg

Don't let yourself be suggested into assuming that the more expensive a pipe is, the better it is. 'taint so, Bro. The carvers and salesmen hyping this maker and that one would have you believe otherwise, but at the end of the day, it's briar, airway engineering and whatever else appeals to you. That last category gets real expensive and there are always people convincing themselves (and each other) that there's an element of objective validity to it. But with few and notable exceptions, an old Stanwell with a tweaked airway will blow 90 % of the trendy stuff out of the water.

In the end, you're smoking pipes --not names and reputations.

Really :D

:face:

I have Austin Martin tastes on a Dodge Dart budget. :lol: Earl

earl":f2ie3pc9 said:
I have Austin Martin tastes on a Dodge Dart budget. :lol: Earl

Funny you should compare PAD to a car. With current gas prices who can afford pipes???!!!

I guess a single man like Dock!

I have a one income house hold split between three adults. :shock: Pipes are far and few between right now!

Thanks for the pep talk....I am getting my rotation pipes right now....I figure I can treat myself eventually.....right now I have 2 pipes I like alot....and the others I have I gave to my dad.....I guess its like fising...you through the line into the water and catch what ever pipe is coming by....and you hope that when its all said and done....its a keeper.....
I can't wait for my new tins of pipe tobacco to arrive...any day now....Thanks for the brotherhood...