Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
The way I see it our little group is split into two camps,those who smoke estate pipes and those who do not.It's very hard to convince someone who belongs to either camp to convert over to the other's way of thinking but I'm going to try anway.

I'm a proud estate pipes smoker and have been for almost my entire 10-12 year pipe smoking career! There are many good reasons for belonging to camp #1. First off, estate pipes usually sell for 1/2 or even less than the pipe would have sold for new! Secondly, estate pipes are already broken in for you! There's usually no tongue burn and no briar taste through the first dozen bowls! As soon as you load er' up you're ready to smoke a nicely seasoned pipe. Thirdly and probably the biggest reason that you should give estate pipes a try is a purely financial one. Let's say you buy an unsmoked Castello Greatline for $800.00. You smoke that pipe 5-10 times only to discover that it's not for you.Perhaps it's too heavy or you don't care for the astetics as much as you did when you bought it or perhaps you've got a chance to buy an ever better greatline.When you go to sell your $800 pipe you'll find that it's only worth $400 or even a bit less! Now let's say that you had bought that Greatline as an estate and found that you don't care for it.You'll likely be able to get almost all of your investment back and in some case actaully make a bit on it if it's listed on e-bay with several interested parties bidding! As long as you keep an estate pipe in resonably good shape there's a good chance that it'll never go down in value.

The most important thing to have when venturing into the world of estates is an excellent pipe rejuvenator.I've been incredibly satisfied with the work of George at Precision Pipe Rejuvenation & Repair. He'll make any well smoked estate pipe look and smoke like new for a very minimal fee.

I hope that I've made some of you camp #2 ers at least consider the benefits of trying estates....

Best,
D.J.

Those are all very good arguments to go "estate" and my next pipe will probably be an estate pipe for exactly those reasons. And also because I haven't purchased one yet. My main concern with an estate pipe is terminal ghosting. What if the first owner smoked only lakeland or aromatic blends in the pipe for twenty years? What are the odds of removing the ghost?

I'm not worried about pipe restoration, as there are enough talented folks around to take care of that issue.The work that some of these guys do is outstanding and quite inexpensive considering the results.

Well D,

I happen to be in both "camps", and I agree with most all you've said about estate pipes. I would like to add that with purchasing an estate pipe you're able to obtain a pipe that is no longer available or hard to find, you may be able to find an unsmoked 56' Dunhill Bruyere Bulldog but the search may be next to impossible. The estate market offers us all a portal to the past.

On the other hand I just love breaking in a new pipe....

I just snagged a Cavicchi CCCCC straight billiard for $225.00.In great shape,smoked once.Less than half price,and I find pipes new for reasonable amounts,also.All good-just wanted to crow a mite :D
T

Tony Ferrill":kz0sv34f said:
I just snagged a Cavicchi CCCCC straight billiard for $225.00.In great shape,smoked once.
Tony,,,,,You shoudn't take advantage of truckers with ADD.

One argument against the estate only camp, although not a big argument, is that many of the estate Dunhill's that I have watched on ebay sell for just a few bucks less than a brand new one from Cup a Joe's. For the extra 50 bucks or so you can avoid the Drama and get a new one.

Food for thought . . .

There's yet another case against estate pipes.

I have, long ago, determined that group 5+ straight bills give ME maximum smoking pleasure. Why SHOULDN'T I pay for new pipes of my choice and break them in and habituate them to my smoking peculiarities? Life's too short and it's only money.

Smoking the same size and shape of pipe is every bit as valid as sticking to the same type or blend of tobacco. Aren't we all searching and striving to replicate the perfect smoke each and every time?

Smoking 5+ straight bills just imputes a consistency for me and eliminates one very big erratic variable. Why screw with it?

thomas james":en2sp4nw said:
There's yet another case against estate pipes.

I have, long ago, determined that group 5+ straight bills give ME maximum smoking pleasure. Why SHOULDN'T I pay for new pipes of my choice and break them in and habituate them to my smoking peculiarities? Life's too short and it's only money.

Smoking the same size and shape of pipe is every bit as valid as sticking to the same type or blend of tobacco. Aren't we all searching and striving to replicate the perfect smoke each and every time?

Smoking 5+ straight bills just imputes a consistency for me and eliminates one very big erratic variable. Why screw with it?
It's only money to YOU TJ! :lol: For some of us regular folks pipes are an ivestment that we'd rather not lose money on! The fact of the matter is that most people who are active in this hobby rotate their pipes with some regularity.I'm simply suggesting that estates are a good way to lessen the blow financially for some folks who eventually want to sell.......
Best,
D.J.

I'm in both camps, about 1/2 of the pipes in my regular rotation were purchased new; the others are estates. As I look at my racks, it is evident that my lower and mid priced pipes were purchased new while the more "expensive" brands are estates. I guess I'm in the save money on estates group

"It's only money to you TJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

I was actually expecting that. My comment can be taken another way. Smoking pipes is a treasured experience for me. Do I want to monetize it when years of experience has shown me some direction?

Only have nineteen pipes, danish and pipe guy. When # 20 shows up, I don't want to take chances on someone elses pipe. Also, I have a gut feeling that pipers don't "estate" away their favored pipes.

The "value" of my pipes, each and everyone, is in their future smokes. It does not matter to me if they are worth half what I paid for them or twice. It's only money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in "that" sort of.

My odds are higher with a new Sea Rock than with a used Chononordohwitschyilstedkayvoody.

Now,,,my 800+- tin cellar will always be worth, at least, what I paid for it,,,,even that doesn't matter,,,,,again, it's the future smoke that I am investing in.

:king: 's are not all tycoons.

thomas james":uwb4eag0 said:
"It's only money to you TJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

I was actually expecting that. My comment can be taken another way. Smoking pipes is a treasured experience for me. Do I want to monetize it when years of experience has shown me some direction?

Only have nineteen pipes, danish and pipe guy. When # 20 shows up, I don't want to take chances on someone elses pipe. Also, I have a gut feeling that pipers don't "estate" away their favored pipes.

The "value" of my pipes, each and everyone, is in their future smokes. It does not matter to me if they are worth half what I paid for them or twice. It's only money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sort of.

:king: 's are not all tycoons.
Well...That's fine too TJ! It sounds like there's just more estates for me and pipetongue then! :joker: You can't come to our tree fort anymore though! No ellietist new pipe ONLY pipesmokers allowed! Sorry :king:

Sincerly,
:monkey:

I've got about 40 pipes and 1/2 were bought new.I have no qualms about buying an estate,a thorough cleaning and a salt&alcohol treatment will unghost any pipe.
All my meers were bought new,they just don't have much estate value so you don't see good estate meers often.My collection of Ardors were bought both new and estate.
Now with the weak dollar and the rise in prices that the foreign carvers are going to have to pass on,estates are more attractive than ever.

Winslow

The problem isn't the concept of pre-smoked pipes, it's that buying them has turned into a crapshoot.

Internet + greedy and/or dishonest people = problems.

At shows, or between people known to each other? Sure. From a stranger over the net? Be prepared to think in "acceptable reap percentage" terms...

Danish & Pipe Guy,

Ah Gee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Can I be your friend if I bring a tub of Pistacchio to the tree fort?

I'm sure Yarnspooler would never buy a used pair of shoes. Toss down that rope, Yarny,,,,,I'm coming up!

thomas james":2a3by49m said:
Also, I have a gut feeling that pipers don't "estate" away their favored pipes.
Ah... the Elephant in the Living Room, referred to at last. :lol:

LL":4wkgmvj5 said:
The problem isn't the concept of pre-smoked pipes, it's that buying them has turned into a crapshoot.

At shows, or between people known to each other? Sure. From a stranger over the net? Be prepared to think in "acceptable reap percentage" terms...
LL,,,,,I was going to use the "used car" analogy,,,,,but,,,,,a big guy who has been feedin on creampuffs woulda stomped my ass like a piss ant.

:cheers: for Dee Pee Gee!

thomas james":2449tqrk said:
LL":2449tqrk said:

LL,,,,,I was going to use the "used car" analogy,,,,,but,,,,,a big guy who has been feedin on creampuffs woulda stomped my ass like a piss ant.

:cheers: for Dee Pee Gee!
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Because of my location, I purchase "new" pipes. I don't know how to use eBay. I've bid a few times but as soon as I enter a bid, someone immediately bumps me by a couple of dollars :shock: . Then there are those who won't sell to Canuks :x .

But mostly, I like to go into the shop, look at the pipe, take it apart and feel it. There's something about having two or three pipes on the counter and saying, "I'll take this one".

If I could do that with estate pipes, I'd likely go for it.

:D Paul

I don't have a problem with buying new or estate. I have gotten very good deals on both. I have never had a problem with an estate pipe as far as cleaning up and being smokeable.

Count another in both camps here. My pipes are nearly an even split between new and estate. I really have no absolute preference as to maker or even shape for that matter. (I do seem to be looking closer at pokers than any others lately though.) To me, it all depends on the individual pipe. I either want it or I don't. Step two, I can either afford it or I can't. In some cases of course estate pipes are the only choice I have. I am a bit partial to Custombilt, Weber, and Ehrlich, which of course 99.9% of the time means an estate pipe.