Even Seeing Tobacco, Now Illegal...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Apr 20, 2008 02:33 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

Ontario smokers will soon have to thumb through a binder to pick the brand of their choice at convenience stores as the province ushers in a ban on cigarette displays which the government says is necessary to save lives despite growing concern among store owners.

While Ontario's 10,000 convenience stores say half of them won't be ready to hide all their smokes by the province's May 31 deadline,...

The new ban prevents all tobacco products from being displayed in any way and prohibits customers from even touching them before they're paid for. The province says store owners have to make sure tobacco products aren't displayed to any potential customer at any time, including during restocking or inventory checks.

Store owners can't put cigarettes behind "garage-style" or cupboard doors that open to display the entire inventory. Curtains or blinds are also not acceptable. The province suggests overhead containers or below-the-counter drawers that are only visible behind the counter.

But many say the switch is going to be anything but smooth. While Best said enforcement officers have visited over 5,000 Ontario stores to prepare them for the new law, many say store owners need more time and government support.

Although the display ban was passed under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act two years ago, store owners didn't get the specific requirements until the end of January.

The Ontario Convenience Stores Association says it's going to cost many retailers up to $2,500 to build new storage units and dismantle the so-called "power walls."

Quebec's display ban also comes into effect at the end of May, so the limited number of companies that make the required storage units are already backed up, association president Dave Bryans said.

All tobacco products will be covered up in some way by May 31, using shower curtains if necessary, said Bryans. But that won't be enough to protect store owners from over-zealous tobacco enforcement officers, he added.

The province could replace tobacco advertising with some healthy advertising of its own and boost the commission store owners get from lottery tickets to make them less dependent on tobacco sales, DiNovo said.

"The government can't just leave them out to dry," she said. ``You can't just do it on the backs of retailers. You've got to help them out."

Has nobody figured out that the more you make something taboo the more young people are inclined to want it?
For a country that gets alot of things right they sure seem to be backward on some things.

The province could replace tobacco advertising with some healthy advertising of its own and boost the commission store owners get from lottery tickets to make them less dependent on tobacco sales, DiNovo said.
So the government wants them to get addicted to gambling instead of smoking. Could that be because the "lottery" money goes in their coffers instead to the tobacco companies :?: :no:

I wonder what kind of deals they'll get on the Black Market :bounce: I sure wish them the best of luck!!! The day is coming when it will happen here as well unless we start to fight back. :affraid:

regor":pzr0yj5n said:
The day is coming when it will happen here as well unless we start to fight back. :affraid:
Fighting back is not politicly correct!

Book'um Dano!

Comrades,Comrades, Calm Down. There is no need to speak unpatriotically about Mother Canada. She is just trying to protect you,the unknowing victom, from the evils of the Tobacco Corporations. Let's rejoice that the State loves you and cares for your well being. Enjoy a Labat Blue or maybe some Crown Royal and buy a lotto ticket, we will all feel better. Yes Yes Comrades let us drink Labat Blue and sing 'Oh Canada'.

puros_bran":2p0zhyic said:
Comrades,Comrades, Calm Down. There is no need to speak unpatriotically about Mother Canada. She is just trying to protect you,the unknowing victom, from the evils of the Tobacco Corporations. Let's rejoice that the State loves you and cares for your well being. Enjoy a Labat Blue or maybe some Crown Royal and buy a lotto ticket, we will all feel better. Yes Yes Comrades let us drink Labat Blue and sing 'Oh Canada'.
PB,

Sometimes you are a real hoot!

:lol!:

Justpipes":fu37uu64 said:
regor":fu37uu64 said:
The day is coming when it will happen here as well unless we start to fight back. :affraid:
Fighting back is not politicly correct!

Book'um Dano!
This Political Correct crap can go straight to a place thats very hot!!!

I think we need to start standing up for smokers rights instead of sitting idly by...So as soon as someone wants to do that go ahead, I'll cheer you on from my cellar :lol: But seriously, we need some sort of nra style organization...the nsa, npa, npca? [pipes and cigars]

and ps...I :heart: Crown Royal...lol

JohnnyO":0udtnpzj said:
I think we need to start standing up for smokers rights instead of sitting idly by...So as soon as someone wants to do that go ahead, I'll cheer you on from my cellar :lol: But seriously, we need some sort of nra style organization...the nsa, npa, npca? [pipes and cigars]

and ps...I :heart: Crown Royal...lol
I expressed those same sentiments on another pipe forum and received an official warning from the moderators. We must be politically correct! :x

We certainly don't want to offend anyone that might be sensitive to the issue. :roll:

:lol!:

May's Canadian centerfold is a pack of camels,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are a pack of camels?

On a more serious note...Is there any such organization out there, if not, what would it take to start some sort of national pipe and cigar smokers association? Funding, location, volunteers, a non-profit business license or whatever... :pipe:
I'm young and rambunctious...who wants to start the NPCSA?

Comrade Regor, by suggesting Political Correctness go some place hot are you suggesting that Mother Canada annex Arizona?

Comrades Pipe and O, your subversivemess is discomforting, please refrain from further unpatriotic statements before you must be sent to a re-education center.

Comrade TJ. There is a big difference between the centerfold showing cameltoe and camels as the centerfold. Although as a show of goodwill to our Islamic Brothers we will have a blonde and a brunette Camel as centerfold display next issue.

I didn't say anything bad about Canada nor would I. I have been there and found it to be a heck of a nice place with some very nice people. I said Political Correct crap can go go to someplace very hot, I ment hell. It has gotten out of hand or we wouldn't having so much trouble with the tobacco and especially taking God out the schools and trying to take it off the money. I have no more to say about this subject!!

Man you need to chill out.

First. I am JOKING. I think everyone else understood that. You can bang your head in anger OR you can release the pressure with humor. I'm out of tylenol I figured I'd go the joke route.

Second it is Hot in Arizona,even with the low humidity. :D :D :D :D

PB, I send you my apology. I did take it the wrong way and I feel pretty stupid about it. I hope this doesn't cause any probs between us. I have no idea why I took it the wrong way, I normally don't do things like that. Maybe I will bang my head a time or two LOL. I really do love Canada by the way but the annex idea may not work unless my wife and I could get the health care issues worked out. She has a couple of life time issues and so do I. Other wise I would love to move up there if the dollar ever gets stronger and the price of tobacco ever gets affordable(sp). Once again PB I am sorry!!!! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

No. Don't feel bad or stupid or anything else. Its one of the big problems with typing instead of talking.

And there's ZERO trouble between you and I. If there was I wouldn't have cared that I upset you.
Not to make this a manlove thread but with all the crap you've went through you've got nothing but respect from me man.

Thank You PB!!! Now its time for the next adventure LOL. :bounce: :cyclops: :sunny: :sunny: :affraid:

The next step - protect the store clerk from seeing the tobacco! They are currently being exposed to second hand tobacco sight.

-Andrew