Ever have a tried and true blend/pipe combination fail you??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
One of my tried and true blend and pipe combinations really let me down today. I enjoy a couple of Uhle's pipe blends (Blend 71, Golden Shag and Bishops Blend to name a few). I usually smoke the Golden Shag in my Radice Rhodesian and get a very enjoyable smoke. Today it just wouldn't stay lit and fought me throughout the whole smoke. The pipe was rested for at least 4 days and the blend's moisture content was perfect (for my smoking style). Not to mention it just didn't taste as good. Has this ever happened to you?

Shag tobacco is probably the culprit,sometimes it just gets into a tight
ball somewhere in the bowl.I have had this problem with G&H Sweet Dark
Honeydew,a shag cut I got from Mars Cigars.

Winslow

Even' Mike, If it is a shag cut don't tamp very much if at all, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Mike,

As you know, in spite of it's name, this is not really a shag cut, so I doubt that's the problem.

When I have an experiece like yours, I find that a slightly looser pack usually cures the problem.

Mike B

This has happened to me more than once, and I find it is usually external to the actual pipe & tobacco. For me, it's usually one of the following causes:

1. The mood/external pressures/situation around me impacts me so that nothing "taste's" right. :face:

2. The taste buds/body chemistry/sensory abilities are changing, which implies that we're all getting old and everything sucks a bit more with age. :mrgreen:

3. Your karma is bad this week, go back and atone for the ten thousands errors of your past lives and try again. :affraid:

4. Beer. Not enough or too much.

For me, it's usually number 4.

Natch

Natch almost answered it. I posted yesterday but it didn't take for what ever reason.

Pipe Smoking is more than burning tobacco in a piece of root. For whatever reason it is an experiance that unifys Mind,Body, and Soul. Sometimes it can go bad because of the pipers error but with experianced pipers this is seldom the case. When a tried and true combo fails look into one of the other three areas.

If it's tried and true then it's not you Mike.

Atmospheric conditions,
Body chemistry variation,
Something on your mind,
All or none of the above . . . . . .

So many things in life are not always consistent, predictable, or repeatable. That's what makes it fun. :bounce:

Back to basics, Gents :

1) Pipes are female.

2) Tobacco is female.

Given the above, some degree of (seemingly random) variation is only to be expected.

:face:

When I have had this happen to me it is usually because I have packed the bowl too tight in an attempt to get as much tobacco into it as possible.