Exercise in Variety

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Man

Reaction score
Just did an assessment of what's in the cellar to see what I need to focus on adding over the following year. Let's just call my cellar an exercise in variety! Everything listed is in "tins," ie: 50g or 2oz, depending on packaging, regardless whether they are actually in separate tins; example, an 8oz tin would be referred to as 4 tins. I find this to be a simpler form of measurement than actual weight. I can see in units of "tins" easier than grams/ounces.

GL Pease:
Laurel Heights - 2
Fillmore - 2
Embarcadero - 2
Telegraph Hill - 2
Montgomery - 2
Lombard - 2
Westminster - 1
Haddo's - 1
Maltese Falcon - 2
Key Largo - 3
Cairo - 2
Cumberland - 12

McClelland's
Royal Cajun Ebony - 1
VA 24 -1
VA 27 - 1
Xmas Cheer 04 - 1
Xmas Cheer 06 - 1
Xmas Cheer 07 - 1

C&D Sunday Picnic - 1

Ashton Brindle Flake - 1 (sure wish this stuff was still made along with Pebblecut)

Solani VA Flake - 2
Solani Silver Flake - 2

Irish Flake - 2

Penzance - 1

C&D Solace - 1 (oldest tin, 2002)

Patriot Flake - 1

SG:
Best Brown - 1
Golden Glow - 1
FVF - 1

Hamborger (B)Veermaster - 3

Wessex:
Golden VA Slice - 1
Burley Slice - 2

Vintage Syrian - 1

Gordon Pym - 1

Former's Cross Grain - 2

Reiner LGF - 2

Dunhill:
Early Morning Pipe - 1
Nightcap - 1
965 - 1
Light Flake - 5

Rattray's:
Old Gowrie - 6
Hal O the Wynd - 2
Marlin Flake - 8

Bulk Dunbar - approx 14oz

And on it's way, somewhere in the UPS system:
Escudo - 10
Embarcadero - 2
Cumberland - 2
Burley Slice - 2
Exhausted Rooster - 1

Obviously no real pattern here. Lots of single/double tins acquired for the purpose of "sampling" has added up to a cellar full of variety!

I have almost all of those, too.
One of the things I love most about
smoking pipe tobacco is the variety.
Great selection!

(although some(one) here may call it "confused.") :lol!:

Nice cellar indeed - variety is always a great thing.

One thing which I've noticed, which I see a lot of confusion about, is the name of the now discontinued (and all the CAO-distributed Dan tins are no longer available since Winterman's bought CAO) Hamborger (B)Veermaster.

Despite the use of the unfortunate old German font on the tin label which makes what is actually a 'V' look like a 'B', it is absolutely and for sure 'Veermaster' ("Four Mast" in German; modern Ger. spelling: Viermaster). This is a reference to an old German sea shanty (sailor's work song), about working aboard a 'Four Mast Ship' from the city of Hamburg.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamborger_Veermaster.

Charming. No beer involved (although perhaps there should be, given it is a German blender!).

Great collection. That'll keep you sampling new stuff for a good while. My cellar is similar - lots of variety.