Expensive Bulk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffy

Reaction score
Once a year I order a five pound bag of bulk tobacco.It now runs about $150.(around two bucks an ounce)This morning my son who's a truck driver called me from Texas.He said..Hey pop I'm in a smoke shop what kind of tobacco do you like I'll bring you some.I gave him my standard answer when I'm asked that question..Bulk Latakia..Then I asked what the price was $4.85 an ounce he said.As much as I would like to It's a little hard for me to support a B&M when it's prices are more than double what I pay online.

Sheeesh! Damn-a-mighty, that's high. Maybe it is time to bulk up our tobacco pantries, as they say we're in for some heavy inflation, not to mention the upward pressure on tobacco prices due to the anti-liberty forces in this country.

Yes, prices at my B&M can be up to 50-60% higher than what I can find online. I still give them some business though, cause I might need them real bad down the road if the gummint decides to ban the online sale of pipe tobacco...

Just a thought- that is probably a typical price for an ounce. I wonder whether the B&M person understood the customer was going to buy 80 ounces and they would (hopefully) have a lower price for quantity.

I've given up on most B&M's. Their focus on "store blend" Lane and Altadis bulk aromatics turned many away from pipes and toward cigars, which I'm sure are more profitable anyway. Iwan Ries is the only B&M I deal with, but have to have them mail me my purchases to avoid absurd Chicago taxes.

GCook":a6rc9c2i said:
... Iwan Ries is the only B&M I deal with, but have to have them mail me my purchases to avoid absurd Chicago taxes.
But they can't ship that great European snus :(

I was at a B&M in Milwaukee last week (we've all seen their ads) and what little tinned tabak they had was 50% more than at SmokingPipes.

Buddy

no offense guys but a little perspective might be in order here. Up in the great white north our tobacco is about $13.75 an ounce and last time i checked our dollar was at par or better than the yankee greenback so i say count your blessings! :cheers:

Guess I'm lucky, my local is usually around $1.75-$2.00 an ounce for bulk with most of their tins ranging from $11-13 for 50g tins

probably 2-3 bucks an ounce for mostly lane and altadis at my local. The real deal--old tins--since they've probably gone bad by now, they're 50% off. I got what I could while the gettin' was good, but there isn't much left--mostly Robert McConnell blending tobaccos--Perique and cigar leaf. When I first went, there were dozens of Pease tins at $6 with 5+ years on them, but I was new to things then, and didn't realize I should have immediately bought all of them, so I only got a few. Lesson learned!

SmokeyTweed --

Unbelievable! Why is tobacco so expensive in Canada? Is it the taxes? Yes, I will be a little more thankful!

"I compained because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had to pay $13.75 an oz for tobacco."

SmokeyTweed":81xgm0zl said:
no offense guys but a little perspective might be in order here. Up in the great white north our tobacco is about $13.75 an ounce and last time i checked our dollar was at par or better than the yankee greenback so i say count your blessings! :cheers:
At least you live in a country where you can buy pipe tobacco.

Speaking of this...Can anyone name a country where (pipe) tobacco is prohibited from being sold and/or used? (Don't say USA, ca. 2050!)

forsooth":emdx8hjx said:
Speaking of this...Can anyone name a country where (pipe) tobacco is prohibited from being sold and/or used? (Don't say USA, ca. 2050!)
Bhutan. The sale and purchase of all tobacco products is prohibited there as is smoking in public places.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4012639.stm
http://www.indonesiatobacco.com/2011/02/bhutan-monk-faces-jail-for-anti-smoking.html

"If any foreigner is caught selling tobacco products to Bhutanese nationals, he will be charged with smuggling. Tobacco will be treated as contraband,"
An earlier law passed in 2005 gives police sweeping powers to enter homes and search for tobacco products.
Bhutanese nationals can however bring back tobacco products from abroad, though
the government has decided to impose a 100% tax on all tobacco products brought into the country for personal consumption by Bhutanese.