Experimental #4

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Jason urged me to post this one here, I didn't before hand as I didn't want to post too many of my experimental pipes here for fear of boring you guys but Jason really wants it here so here it is.

Jim (Jimbo on SF) sent me a small pre-drilled Plateaux block a short while ago to see if I could do anything with it, I offered to try making a pipe out of it for him but he didn't want me to do that. it was drilled oddly, no concern for the grain was given at all which is typical of pre-drilled blocks, it's like the person doing them doesn't want you to be able to get the best pipe possible from the block, annoyingly there was a beautiful pipe in the block but the drilling was not in the right place so that was out of the window. Didn't matter how hard I tried to find something else in the block I just couldn't feel anything from it, because of this the resulting pipe isn't that impressive sadly.

There wasn't enough Briar on the block to make even a half decent shank so I decided to try my hand at an acrylic extension, really stupid idea, shaping and drilling the acrylic was an absolute nightmare, wont be trying that again in a hurry.

I tried my utmost to get a half decent pipe out of the block but my heart just wasn't in it, this is what the result was....

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

Jason is now the owner of this EP#4, hope you're enjoying it my friend.

Waiting for the postman's knock, Kirk.

I think the fact that you pulled this little stunner out of a piece of crap briar, when your heart really wasn't in it, using only files and sandpaper, in a damp drafty shed, says more about your skill, your art, than any other pipe you've made.

And, that's not to belittle any of your other pipes. Each and every one is a little piece of magic, a foothold in heaven, but, you didn't struggle with those to the degree that you did with this one. You literally wrenched this one back from the brink of briar oblivion.

This pipe is special - I know I've said this before about your work, but this is different; this truly demonstrates your skill, your talent, your artistry. This pipe represents something pivotal in your work, your development as an artisan pipe maker - be absolutely certain of this - don't doubt it for even a second.

That, mate, is why I had to have this pipe - apart from the fact it is utterly, utterly gorgeous - and I despise shank extensions and embellishments. That last bit should tell just how smitten I am by this pipe.

And that stem is none to shabby, either. ;-)

I like it a lot. Too bad you won't be doing any more acrylic extensions, that looks terrific.

Klause said:  "That, mate, is why I had to have this pipe - apart from the fact it is utterly, utterly gorgeous"

Gorgeous pipe, Kirk.  Don't even think of trying to get out of making more...ain't gonna happen, my brother.

Appreciate the very kind and encouraging replies chaps, thank you very much.  :sunny: 

Domer & Walt, I'd love to be able to make a lot more pipes with extensions, should I ever find myself in a position to afford a lathe then I'll start knocking 'em out like nobodies business.  :sunny: 

Incredible pipe Kirk! Your work just keeps improving by leaps and bounds. Soon you'll look back and wonder why all your pipes didn't have extensions. In all seriousness though, great job!

Jim

The shank turned out great brother! What do you use to buff the pipes. You have a wheel or do you just sand the bajezus out of them in the higher grits?