Experimenting with Xmas Cheer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Like many, I assume, there is a stockpile of Christmas Cheer in your cellar/shelves.

I just opened '05 and have enjoyed a few bowls so far. '05 comes from a Middle Belt crop of 1997.

One of the thoughts I had in collecting Xmas Cheer is that because it is a single crop, it might be an ideal tobacco to experiment with... For instance, what about making it into a vaper? How much perique?

Has anyone tried some tinkering with this?

I know the obvious... why tinker with a good thing? But out of curiosity, has someone tried this or have suggestions.

Try an 8:1 ratio of CC-to-Perique; unless you really enjoy Perique, then maybe 4:1 is OK. Put it in a Mason jar for at least a month; give it a try. This is a method I use when introducing Turkish, Oriental, or Latakia to an existing blend which doesn't contain them. Seems to work. I'm not "big" on Perique, so for me; I add it in very small ratios (i.e., 1/16th or even 1//32nd). A VaPer person will probably enjoy a higher ratio (as suggested above). My 2 cents worth of knowledge!! FTRPLT

This may be considered heresy by some, but when I was down to a small amount of my tin of '07 Xmas Cheer, I stretched it by cutting it 50/50 with McClelland's Navy Cavendish, both well-rubbed-out. The result tasted like a more complex Navy Cavendish, not a sweeter Xmas Cheer. Not a brilliant blend, but a pleasant smoke.

Some great ideas above and sure do sound good. Just remember to start out lite, you can always add more but you sure can't take it out . Keep us posted about this. It sure does sound good. When things settle down here I am going to try it.

Roger, you gave me a brain wave. I thought about it for a few days now. This morning I was looking at some 2015 and I was reminded of the Marlin Flake/2015 that you enjoy (I do as well). So I decided to do a 50/50 combo of CC '05 and 2015. I don't think I'll go wrong with that :D .

I'll let it sit for a while and let you know some of my impressions.

Part of the challenge is that CC '05 is a broken flake. I pondered over "rubbing it out" and then adding perique. This process didn't appeal to me. So I'm just combining equal amounts (in broken flake form) and letting it sit.

It's been a month so I decided to try a pipeful of the 50/50 combo of 2015 and CC '05. It is a modest mixture of about 3 oz combined. Neither was rubbed out prior, and I can't envision a month in a jar having a great deal of an effect on the tobacco. I used the Stein method, cutting the broken flake into BB's (small cubes).

I am pleased with the result. Pleased especially that the perique made its presence felt, not completely diluted. Stronger in the botton half of the bowl.

For me this will be a "keeper" combo for future tins of CC.

Now what? Been wondering what 5100 and CC might do, but will wait until another tin of CC is popped :!:

Interesting thoughts on blending...my local sells some straight stuff to blend but never thought about trying to do much blending on my own.