Extreme measures to salvage a scarce MM Monogram grade cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Something a little different a post on salvaging a very scarce Missouri Meerschaum Monogram grade corn cob pipe.

I use different techniques depending on what needs to be done. MM uses Elmers Glue to mount the shank to the bowl and as often is the case it can fail. They also use plaster of Paris for filling voids on the outside of the cob bowl and as is this case it can fall out.

For the bowl in repairing missing plaster I use a natural wood glue which is light in color and takes to coloring letting me know it breathed well, been usuing it for years with great success having one cob get to 15 y/o until I dropped it and a truck ran it over :( the next oldest is now 8 years old and smokes great.

The MM Monogram was an undertaking I wasn't sure I could pull off but I gave it my best shot.
You will see the severity of what I'm saying in some of the photos with the worst being where the shank is glued to the bowl there was a huge separation right at the bowl with heavy cracking in several directions so I tackled this first.

I first checked with a flashlight and needle to see if it was a complete opening and thankful it was not complete but portions of it were totally open. I mixed some of the cob dust with Elmers and laid a foundation inside then allowed this to dry before going to step two.

Step two entails attacking all of the cracks at a time and again the photos will bear the extent of cracks there were to repair. The worst cracks were attended to first using needles to hold the crack open I laid a foundation bead of Gorilla brand Super Glue Gel, this dries very strong and have passed this information on to a couple of pipe makers who have had the bamboo shank separate from the bowl they did not use tubing so I sent some Dunhill Innertubes and a bottle of the Gorilla Glue I use.

I normally use some sort of clamp, a wooden spring action clothes pin works then I C-clamp the outside of the clothes pin. As I said the cracks were so extensive any thoughts on using a clamp were out of the question so I simply set it aside to dry for twelve hours.

Now I had a step three which I have never used so here we go. Once again the Gorilla Glue was used and a thin bamboo skewer was used to guide the glue into any voids, once this was done a wooden flat coffee stirrer was used to spread a thin outside topping layer of the gel, sort of like a gel coat.

Allowed to dry overnight it is workable but complete cure takes 72 hours. I took care of two drips and an overrun using the bamboo skewer since it was not completely hardened it was easily done. I then gave it the leak test by completely covering the bowl and blowing through the stem allowing my free hand to feel for leaking but with the pressure on my hand I could tell there weren't any. I next drew in through the stem and could feel the skin being sucked into the bowl, SUCCESS!!!

I decided to fill it up and give it a test smoke, the inside of the bowl needs to be reamed but with the condition of everything I did not want to add stress to an already compromised unit so once it is totally cured I'll add thre more days for good measure then ream the bowl. All in all a lot of time spent and the gel isn't cheap but it will last a long time. The outside of the shank is shiny and looks like varnish, this gel is sandable allowing for a dull or matte finish and it is paintable just for information purposes I won't be painting it but will consider sanding it.

Hope this was informative and even though it is a lot of work for a corn cob there were never a lot of Monogram grade MM made so salvaging this one makes me happy since that first smoke was memorable, keep it smokey.
banjo

e5325cb494581e552c2d67985f094f0d7d84197.jpeg

bf415c4953e720dbc8c17d95cc17943fd650e59.jpeg

aaf25df4c35abe382c8d0f3c8093c29f625d74b.jpeg

30f1584058e226db6230db65c06657a61043976.jpeg

Loaded with Cracker Jack it's keeping it smokey like a champ, this is destined to be a favorite pipe.
banjo

3b01574b5eed22d30cbe86d0a970445f5570240.jpeg

This is good to know. Thanks for taking the time to write about it. There's something about a cob with controlled patina...

Richard Burley":pqlqbw3f said:
This is good to know. Thanks for taking the time to write about it. There's something about a cob with controlled patina...
Agree. An as new cob lacks character, I'd say. Somewhere in the Iliad Achilles praises a sword that has been burnished in use. Maybe that comparison is a bit of a stretch.

Very Impressive. You done good Banjo. I don't have the patience to tackle something like that but admire the man that does. :)

AJ

Thanks AJ, but considering what I did for work this is nothing. I think you would have had a good laugh last week at the oncology center. I was there for my weekly ivIG infusion when the whole place was abuzz due to the lab printer not being able to print the lab labels being ordered for patients. The poor lab tech was out of her element and none of the staff could offer any help.

Since I was wired with 2 bags being pumped via my PowerPort I got up and trundled out the door with my 5 wheel wonder now pumping me under battery power. "Can I assist you?" I said. The poor lab tech looked at me with a mixture or shear terror and blank. "I worked with this equipment for four Naval Clinics in New England until I retired, I'll get you running!" "Please, anything you can do will be a Godsend" she said.

I shut the printer down and in my softest, most gentle customer relations voice I said "so you'll know in the future, the Intermec printers don't like to be jostled about it scrambles their memory, just give it a few more minutes and we'll be back for work".

The 10 minutes went by slower than molasses uphill in a blizzard but when I turned it on the Christmas light display of faults were gone so I went through the start up and alignment of the lab printing paper and it sprang to life spitting out all the slips that had been in the queue and as funny as it may seem mine was the first slip printed.

The tech and entire crew looked at me in astonishment as I turned my 5 wheel wonder around went back to my infusion room, plugged the power back in and continued with my 5 figure infusion, wonder if I could bill them? ;)
banjo

ajn27511":gjakp3fp said:
Very Impressive. You done good Banjo. I don't have the patience to tackle something like that but admire the man that does. :)

AJ

Quite the project there Mr. Banjo. I certainly wouldn't have the skills or patience to pull anything like that off, but looks like you've made a meal of it.

And your story about the printer brought a grin to my face. Good show!

8)

Cheers,

RR

I loved it. Please feel free to post more stories. It helps us to get a picture of who you really are. :)

AJ