Facebook?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
I'm just curious, not complaining ... this time. :D

Seems like so many forums have gone to The Dark Side. Why is it this forum has stayed off of Facebook? Are the moderators here just more enlightened that those on other forums?

I truly prefer it not be on Facebook since I don't like to go there and I have deleted my FB account.

Seems like so many forums have gone to The Dark Side. Why is it this forum has stayed off of Facebook? Are the moderators here just more enlightened that those on other forums?

I truly prefer it not be on Facebook since I don't like to go there and I have deleted my FB account.

It was never a consideration from the get-go and still isn't. Never been suggested or even discussed. I suppose keeping BoB independent is the reason. Also, we view this little forum as a nice quiet alternative to other, possibly more contentious forums. So far, the membership has been pretty good about self-moderating. That's my take.

Cheers,

RR

Excellent!

Thanks for the reply and thanks to all of the moderators for maintaining this internet oasis.

I re-joined Facebook for about the 6th time a couple of weeks ago. There are some hobby-type groups I wanted to see.

Last week my account got temporarily locked out for a policy violation but they didn't tell me which policy. They told me I could protest the lock out so I did but in order to log back in I would have to give them my telephone number. Okay, two-factor authentication I sort of understand. I gave them my phone number. Then they said they had to have a recent, clear photo of me with no others in the photograph. A picture of Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) came to mind, was quickly found, and uploaded. I was permanently banned from Facebook. Oh, boo-hoo ... NOT!

How are they going to use a photograph of me to verify my identity??? What are they going to compare it to??? Sounds like another piece of evidence supporting the NSA facial recognition software conspiracy theory. (I say this only partially tongue-in-cheek.)

Like so many folks on Youtube say, "Facebook SUCKS!!!" :D

It was never a consideration from the get-go and still isn't. Never been suggested or even discussed. I suppose keeping BoB independent is the reason. Also, we view this little forum as a nice quiet alternative to other, possibly more contentious forums. So far, the membership has been pretty good about self-moderating. That's my take.

Cheers,

RR
I want to thank all of you for having this outlook and following through with it. I don't have to tell you how bad those other websites are when you're even just looking for basic information, BoB is truly a respite from what the internet has evolved into.

I scan most of the boards pretty much daily but I’m a picture guy and most of the content that interests me is on the Meta sites distantly followed by YouTube. I love the private pipe groups on Facebook. I post some pictures on my daveinlax Instagram site.

I don't do any social media. I have no use for people to know who I am and where I hang out.

I don't do any social media. I have no use for people to know who I am and where I hang out.
LoL! This is social media! The price you pay for membership here is the same as you pay on Facebook or Instagram, your data. If you think you’re data is insulated here, it’s not.

I got rid of Zuck's properties 4 years ago and happy I have done so.

dave I don't consider t
LoL! This is social media! The price you pay for membership here is the same as you pay on Facebook or Instagram, your data. If you think you’re data is insulated here, it’s not.
Gee thanks for wiping out my belief that I am a ghost. I was a ghost until the internet got so stupid.

You're right...and not so right. Whatever I do here doesn't make it into my emails or any preference feeds. Minimizing the data collection and/or how they use it to directly affect me is significant to me. I'm not running some covert operation, but I'm also not begging to be a bigger part of that game than I have to be.