Fair weather smoker?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
Since I'm fairly new on the forum I don't know (without diving deep into the archives) if something has been discussed before. There's probably not much new under the sun to talk about. But I wonder: How many here have to put up with the whims of weather to enjoy your pipes?

I have two new blends that I'm eager to try, but by midday it is still only 34-degrees, and with a wicked wind chill that drops the real feel down into the 20s. I've tried smoking in my workshop twice - not a tiny space at 10 x 22 - but withing ten minutes I felt like I couldn't breathe and that was with a fan and filter and the door cracked. I got a quote from a contractor to cut a hole through the masonry wall to install an out-venting fan to draw the smoke away, but that's a major undertaking which seems a selfish indulgence just to enjoy my hobby.

Between the hot, humid summers, and the cold, frigid winds up here on the mountain, it seems I often have to put piping on pause. We've already started looking at options of where to retire in five years, but the places we seem to be interested in have either blistering hot summers (like Arizona) or frigid winter conditions, and California is just too pricey to consider.

How do you all manage?

I pipe inside during colder weather; wife is also a piper.
Cigar smoking is also allowed IF I'm able to thoroughly air the house out (read: open doors and windows).
So, no complaints here.
Though, my piping slows down considerably during the warmer months as I opt for cigars instead.

Funny, we're looking to retire in your neck of the woods. Preferably N. Carolina.
My Mom's side of the family are all from Dillwyn, VA.
I feel very comfortable in that part of the east coast.

* My immediate family all live in SoCal. Yes, the cost of living is very expensive indeed.

BloodWood":sub87vf2 said:
I pipe inside during colder weather; wife is also a piper.
Cigar smoking is also allowed IF I'm able to thoroughly air the house out (read: open doors and windows).
So, no complaints here.
Though, my piping slows down considerably during the warmer months as I opt for cigars instead.

Funny, we're looking to retire in your neck of the woods. Preferably N. Carolina.
My Mom's side of the family are all from Dillwyn, VA.
I feel very comfortable in that part of the east coast.

* My immediate family all live in SoCal. Yes, the cost of living is very expensive indeed.

So I guess you'll be trading in those rainy days for what we call HHH days - hot, humid, and hazy. I guess I'm getting to be a wimp as I get older but could do without the humidity! By the way, my wife's family lives in San Diego county, very nice weather there.

Doing a search here on the word “indoors” only three threads come up, two of which I think are germane to the general issue. Each thread has roughly 16 posts. One was in 2011...the other in 2017 (I think).

So without going through the stuff post by post ...yeah, we’ve chatted about it before. Not to say that the whole thing can’t again be posed for a fresh set of responses...by new and different members.

Thus does the rich and vibrant mosaic of life here at BoB move ever onward.

Brunello":p2crv8kh said:
I've tried smoking in my workshop twice - not a tiny space at 10 x 22 - but withing ten minutes I felt like I couldn't breathe and that was with a fan and filter and the door cracked. I got a quote from a contractor to cut a hole through the masonry wall to install an out-venting fan to draw the smoke away, but that's a major undertaking which seems a selfish indulgence just to enjoy my hobby.
Does your workshop have a window in it? Either put a fan in the window or put a window in the door!

I don't think it is being too selfish to indulge in a hobby you enjoy.

Corncobcon said:
Does your workshop have a window in it?  Either put a fan in the window or put a window in the door!  

Wow, I never thought of that. After I read your response I did a search on window fans and seems an easy and inexpensive solution, so I'll be heading to Home Depot this weekend. When I try it out I'll fire up a cob in your honor, sir.

Sounds like you've got a solution there, Brunello.

My piping ebbs and flows with the seasons. I smoke indoors on very rare occasions - once last year over Christmas - so the weather has to be fair for me to enjoy a briar. Being that the weather in Blighty is the stuff of legend I have to seize the opportunities as they arise.

99% of the time I smoke in my car. Can't smoke in the house. The only time i really smoke outside is while in the field for work

Blackhorse":z0evjls9 said:
Doing a search here on the word “indoors” only three threads come up, two of which I think are germane to the general issue.  Each thread has roughly 16 posts.  One was in 2011...the other in 2017 (I think).

So without going through the stuff post by post ...yeah, we’ve chatted about it before.  Not to say that the whole thing can’t again be posed for a fresh set of responses...by new and different members.

Thus does the rich and vibrant mosaic of life here at BoB move ever onward.
I wondered how you had access to that information so quickly... then I discovered the search tool at the top of the page. D'oh! Now I feel both stupid and enlightened at the same time. A whole library of information right at my fingertips.Thanks.

Fr_Tom":15fgkamk said:
FWIW, I smoke in the car and in the house these days.
D.L Ruth also mentions smoking in the car. Personally I wouldn't want to smoke while driving because I want to be able to relax and enjoy my pipe, not worry about tamping down the bowl or relights while maneuvering around all the crazies. If you guys are smoking while commuting maybe you are more deft at it than I would be. But I do have a rain guard above the window on my truck, so maybe next time I'm enjoying Shenandoah Skyline Drive I could pull over at scenic vista and enjoy.

Brunello":4vlpgkrm said:
D.L Ruth also mentions smoking in the car. Personally I wouldn't want to smoke while driving because I want to be able to relax and enjoy my pipe, not worry about tamping down the bowl or relights while maneuvering around all the crazies. If you guys are smoking while commuting maybe you are more deft at it than I would be. But I do have a rain guard above the window on my truck, so maybe next time I'm enjoying Shenandoah Skyline Drive I could pull over at scenic vista and enjoy.
i am not sure how long you have been a smoker, but the lighting/tamping business is pretty much second nature for me. I can vouch for the fact that I enjoy it.

Fr_Tom":cadbkteq said:
Brunello":cadbkteq said:
i am not sure how long you have been a smoker, but the lighting/tamping business is pretty much second nature for me. I can vouch for the fact that I enjoy it.
Yea it's pretty natural for me at this point. I have always enjoyed driving anyway so it is still quite relaxing, especially the drive home from work.

Weather permitting, I smoke on my back porch. I'm good down to 35 or so. I can, now. smoke indoors without my wife blowing a fuse if I am careful. I keep the door to my office closed and keep my Flair air cleaner running at all times. I still get small complaint from time to tiime. I also retire to the garage if it's windy or too cold for the porch. Take today, it's supposed to get to 41. I can handle that on the porch. Next week is supposed to be in the 50s. Much better.

Blackhorse":n043lyav said:
In the Winter, rainy days, etc. I put one of those square box fans in the window behind my writing desk and light up.  The fan sucks all the smoke right out.
+1 on the fan box in the window. If you have non smokers in the house they'll appreciate it. 8)

I had to order a unit from Amazon as both Home Depot and Walmart didn't have any stock (I guess window fans aren't a big seller in the winter). I got a Bionaire triple fan as there were several positive user comments from smokers trying to do the same thing. I'll use in conjunction with the air-purifier I already have. I'll give update and pic when installed.

Yeah...I have a window that slides side to side and mini blinds. I put the box fan in the window frame as far as the screen would allow and shut the slider on the fan...then let the mini blinds down to the top of the fan. So the window was essentially closed off except for where the fan was. After opening the fireplace flue (in the same room) it evac’d air from the room very well. And since I was sitting at a desk right in front of the fan/window the smoke went right out. Plus I wasn’t pulling heated air from other areas in the house and my airflow didn’t drift by the thermostat. All bases covered. And a simple $20 fan solved the issue.

So I guess you'll be trading in those rainy days for what we call HHH days - hot, humid, and hazy...

Hah! I was born and raised in Miami, FL.
What is this HHH you speak of?

I put one of those square box fans in the window behind my writing desk and light up.

+2
This method truly gets the job done.
I'll buy three/four from WallyWorld, hope and pray at least one is quiet and the rest are remanded as lowly shop fans.
My seasonal choir was to open 'em up and thoroughly clean the blades and frame. Now, a quick shot with the compressor is enough.
After maybe three years the compressed-air-trick is no match for that baked on soot and dust.
So, back to WallyWorld and repeat.