falcon pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitepony1986

Reaction score
i have been looking at them and debated trying one, but i have some reservations. can anyone tell me how they smoke. my mind sees the metal heating up to extreme temperatures ect. tahnk you all for reading this

I have one and I love it. The metal can get hot if you smoke fast, but so can briar. Mine stays on my work bench in the garage. I use it mostly for aromatics because I can just unscrew the bowl and wipe it down with a paper towel if it starts smoking wet. Its a great work pipe because it holds a good amount of tobacco, but really doesn't weigh much so you can clench it for hours and your jaw doesn't scream at you. I abuse the hell out of that pipe and it has always treated me well

I have one that I finished cleaning up about a month ago but I never bothered to smoke it. My was the same as yours WP86, I don't want a skin graft just for smoking my pipe :no: I smoke way too fast to risk metal or clay.

I suppose I could light mine up and see how she does if you'd like to know how it goes.

Believe me guys, if they got too hot they wouldn't be nearly as well loved as they are. Smoke 'em, you'll be happy you did.

Closest I got is a Grabow knock-off from BC a while back.   Curious-looking things, can condensate a little more than other pipes (especially out-of-doors in the cold) and perform alright.   Consistent, but not stellar.   There's a lot of "parts" that defy the simplicity of the pipe a bit, it's a good idea to take care of them, don't overtighten bowls (the threads are wooden), and keep them clean.   At my local Tinder Box they were having an awful time with the center draft "tube" coming loose on almost every straight pipe that came in. You'd gently twist the bit/stem out and the thing would come apart in your hand. :no:

I rarely grab for my faux Falcon with a vast array of briars and cobs that come before it.

If they're your holy grail, so be it.   Enjoy!

Only one way to satisfy that... get one! Just check the stem/draft tube thoroughly for looseness (in person if possible, or ask the salesperson to do so). It should be absolutely in-place with no movement.

8)

If you want one but don't wanna pay for a new one, pm me and we can work out something for my estate one. I'm not to fond of their looks honestly so I'd be willing to part with it.

I own 2 Falcon pipes and both have large snifter briar bowls. One plain and the other is meer lined. The plain one is dedicated to Lakeland style tobacco and the meer lined one for straight Va.'s and VaPers. I find they are a delight to smoke. True the metal will become hot if I smoke them too fast but smoke them slow and easy and I get a flavorful enjoyable smoke. I highly recommend them. In my opinion they are a fantastic value. :) 

AJ

If you're going to try a Falcon I cannot urge you strongly enough to look out an older estate version, the new Falcons are very badly made and seriously not worth wasting your money on. Now older estate Falcons, get your cash out and buy one toot sweet, you really wont regret it, you will have to learn to slow your smoking style with a Falcon but that is a very good thing any way. The pace at which you smoke your pipes will dictate how much enjoyment you get from your tobacco, fast smoking will destroy any blends way before it gets any where near your mouth, slow down the puff rate and take shallower draws on the pipe too, you will notice a HUGE difference in the enjoyment factor. Slowing down will require more relights but who cares about that when you are getting delicious tobacco goodness, right. ;)

Not to be a negative Nancy, but Falcons and Kirstens have never appealed to me. Guess I just don't like the style of them or something.

If they work for you, more power to them. And you.

Cheers,

RR

draagha as much as i would love to i have just been laid off so money is too tight for me to make a purchase right now. i appreciate the offer

Kyle Weiss":is01vpbs said:
Closest I got is a Grabow knock-off from BC a while back.   Curious-looking things, can condensate a little more than other pipes (especially out-of-doors in the cold) and perform alright.   Consistent, but not stellar.   There's a lot of "parts" that defy the simplicity of the pipe a bit, it's a good idea to take care of them, don't overtighten bowls (the threads are wooden), and keep them clean.   At my local Tinder Box they were having an awful time with the center draft "tube" coming loose on almost every straight pipe that came in.  You'd gently twist the bit/stem out and the thing would come apart in your hand.   :no: 

I rarely grab for my faux Falcon with a vast array of briars and cobs that come before it.

If they're your holy grail, so be it.   Enjoy!
Falcons aren't made to be taken apart at the bit. The literature that comes with the Falcons states as much.
If Falcons are coming apart at the wrong place (the bit) when/after they come into the shop somebody probably did not know to not remove the bits on several brands of "metal" pipes.

Kirstens come apart at the bit but don't pull that aluminum tube out of the bit. You won't get it to stay in when you try to replace it.
Some of the metal Kaywoodies can be ruined by taking out the bit. I have one on which a tug on the bit operates the release mechanism of the bowl. Try to remove the bit and the pipe would be ruined.
YellowBole AreoGrates  have bits that are not removable. Once the bit is forced off the pipe that pipe is history.

Grabow Vikings are made to be taken apart at the bit so no problem there.

Those five brands are the only ones I own so I can't speak about the bits on any of the other brands, however those five brands show me to proceed with caution when I do get hold of another brand to examine.