Falcon pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Falcon pipes?,,,pros and cons,,,,suggestions,,,,,straight/curved stems,,,bowl size,,,

I used to like them when I was a poor student and couldn't afford much. I don't but them anymore, but I still like them. I haven't smoked one in years, though.

They don't smoke very differently from a conventional briar pipe. The bit is plastic, soft and prone to tooth marks, but comfortable. The pipes are light and easy to clean: they're metal and can be washed with almost anything. There were some round filters that you put under the bowl and that helped to keep the pipe clean. There were times in which I couldn't find them for sale, so I just clipped the end of a pipe cleaner and made a small ring the same size, and that worked. The bowls are small, perhaps a size 2 or small 3, and that is my major criticism to them now.

All the ones I tried were straight-stemmed, but the curved ones that I can remember had very little curvature that probably didn't make much difference.

I've owned two and tried to like them, but went down the Kirsten path instead. The major complaint, well, really a comparison between the two, is the Kirsten pulls a lot of moisture out of the smoke and keeps it away from your mouth. The condensing in a Falcon, in my estimation, is about half of what a Kirsten is, and it can be sucked right into the mouth. Plus, our own Mike Brissitt makes some beautiful bowls for Kirstens that allow them to reach their potential.

But my favorite uncle, who passed just last week, was a dedicated Falcon smoker all his life. He was an engineer and worked with the UN in many developing countries. He was a Ham Operator, spoke several languages, could build anything, had a machine shop in his basement, and just a great guy. I can't think of him without picturing a straight Falcon in his mouth.

Natch

I have several standard Falcon bents and one international falcon bent and over a half dozen bowls for them and I think they make a great low-maintenance pipe...smoke good too...

The maintenance and upkeep is simple, when you finish a bowl, dump the ash, wipe out the humidome and run a pipe cleaner through the stem and your done. It’s a great knock around pipe, light weight, dry smoking and well constructed.

falcons oh falcons,,,
one of the best and reliable and fancier replacement for the corn cobs
exchangeable bowls for multiple blends or temporary rotation for a heavy puffer, aluminium heel where all the moisture accumulate, spiral stem for better condensation and dry smoke, bents and straight variates!! whats not to like?
i always state that they r the most pure and sincere recruitment of physics to the benefit of a pipe smoker
i prefer bents thu, the way the curve is made allow u to c the whole bowl when u r lighting haent seen that in all my bent pipes
i would say that they r a go,,and u have my blessings
cheers
ahmad

I had one gifted to me. It was okay. I smoked it alot, not sure what became of it actually. Still not the same as smoking a briar pipe though.

I may pick up another one next time I'm in San Antonio. If you like them go for it.

My son smokes a Falcon and loves it. Personally I don't care for them, but I always say if you like it what difference does my opinion make? You're the one who has to be happy!

Falcon.... I thought about it but resisted.

However I did order a pack of Falcon pipe cleaners, for just in case situations. They are thin. So I smoked a cob with a tricky bent stem. Can't get a pipe cleaner through the stem. Problem... can't find where I put the pack of Falcon pipe cleaners :( .

I ordered another pack of Falcon pipe cleaners yesterday.

I have a Falcon that I enjoy occasionally.

Yello Bole made a pipe similar to the Falcon back in the 50's and 60's called the Aerogate. Aluminum with a screw-on bowl, and a metal mesh filter that fits beneath the bowl. I have several of these, and find that I greatly prefer them over the Falcons. You can come across them fairly often on Ebay, and pick one up on the cheap.

Dr. Grabow used to make one similar, too. I have a couple of them, but find that they all suffer the problem of seeping moisture around the threads of the bowl.

dt753":dwlyoyvt said:
...Yello Bole made a pipe similar to the Falcon back in the 50's and 60's called the Aerogate. Aluminum with a screw-on bowl, and a metal mesh filter that fits beneath the bowl. I have several of these, and find that I greatly prefer them over the Falcons...
Why?

The screen in the bottom keeps the tobacco a little farther away from the bottom of the pipe, thus keeping the pipe from getting as hot in your hand, plus the air-way is much larger thus allowing for an easier draw. I like the big, fluffy Yello Bole pipe cleaners, and they won't fit in the small air-way of my Falcons.

I like my Falcons; they're a good pipe, but I just prefer the old yello bole aluminum ones (if I'm not in the mood for a standard pipe).

I must be smoking them wrong. I have two (straight and curved) and I hate them both. I'm always left unsatisfied. The bowls are small, and they seem to gurgle quickly. The only plus is the quick clean. But that's not really a benefit if you're now smoking the pipe!

I have a Falcon, the 'curved' stem (ie with a slight bend in the mouth piece). No, it's not a huge bowl by any means (medium at best) but that works well with Lakelands for me. I also use the little 'pipe cleaner rings' and have had no problems with gurgle

I love mine. I keep it in the garage with a small bag of 1Q. Its great for mindless smoking while I'm doing whatever I need to do. The design is great for aromatics because if it gets goopy you just unscrew it and clean it out with a paper towel.

I have several Falcons, and other briar & metal combination pipes.
The Falcon pipes are good for smoking but somehow they don't leave me satisfied. Not because of small bowl size, i have several small pipes.
I sometimes enjoy one of my falcons, a black one with a lighter color bowl. But somehow i dont keep coming back to it regularly, just once in a while.

But everyone is different and one of my friends smokes his Falcon everyday and enjoys it a lot.

I've considered several times getting a Kirsten. Nostalgic reasons. They remind me of the 1960's middle class American grandpa type. Smart, frugal, one pipe and a couple of bowls, one variety of tobacco, constantly puffing away on it while tinkering. They seem to be much better engineered than a Falcon. One of these days....