Fancy a Card Game?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
This weekend a bunch of the boys are getting together for a real rowdy-dow of a poker & crib night(crib for the early exits!) and i plan to have a couple bowls whilst i play poker.

I mention this only because i feel it helps me play poker, it forces me to slow down my action and not focus too much on the next play it also slows down my alcohol intake which stops the hands from shaking a bit. :face:

Now personally i'm a big card player and was just wondering if any of you fellows had any games you enjoy to play?

my favorites are the games that take a while to play:
Hearts
Canasta
Mexican Rummy(contract rummy) :poncho:
Texas hold'em
crib

Texas Hold'em and cribbage are probably my favorites. I'm a lot better at cribbage than poker. :lol:

Played poker Thanksgiving afternoon. Extended family tradition. I actually did pretty well but I had to leave my wife with the winnings to go deliver turkeys. I fancy 5 card draw and 7 card stud. Not much of a Texas hold'm fan though some of the folks that I play with like to call it when their deal comes around.

I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. My Grandfather taught me to play, and it is still enjoyed by my entire family; I have probably played cribbage since I was 10 years old. Crib is a HUGE game in Alaska, but especially with the older generations. I did not know how big it really was until I worked in Bristol Bay as a commercial fisherman: EVERYBODY played cribbage, and just as important as your crib skills was your ability to talk smack during the game. As far as two player card games go, IMHO nothing else even comes close to the great game of cribbage!

Extra Note: About 15 years ago, my brother Brett TRIPLE SKUNKED my youngest brother, Russell. I have never seen it since, nor have I ever met anyone who has witnessed a triple skunking. In fact, I have never met anyone who has met anyone who has witnessed this rarest of events. I believe it is even more rare than a royal flush in poker! Even now, when these two get into any kind of argument, or perhaps in passing conversation, Brett will say, "Well Russ, your point is moot, for, according to the Hall of Records, I full on triple skunked your sorry ass." And that pretty much is the final word, for there can be no retribution, no comeback, in fact no resolution whatsoever, from getting triple skunked by your older brother. (Out of 121 points, if you win by more than 30, it is a skunk, more than 60, a double skunk and most rare, and if you win by more than 90 points, it's the impossible triple skunk.)

Sheeps Head, any one out there ever heard of sheeps head? I believe it's a German card game (probably something like Scahfca, or however you'd spell it in German?). It was very popular in the Milwaukee area up to Green Bay, but I've never seen it anywhere else. I've heard that some of the German-settled areas in Ohio and Indiana also play it a bit.

I live in the South now and no one ever heard of it down here. We always played for money, but it always played for nickles and dimes, so at the end of the night if you played well you might leave with a few $s max. I liked the idea that tricks are taken with trump, but the high trump cards aren't the high pointer cards, so if you were observant (which I seldom am) you could take one or two of the right tricks and win the game. The person who took the blind also called a partner (an ace of some suit) and often no one know who was the partner until well into the game.

Back in the 80s I was working on my dissertation research along the Belize-Guatemalan border and my adviser (from England, but taught at UW-Milwaukee long enough to learn and love the game) came down, and we ran into a family of former dairy farmers from the Green Bay area back in the jungle that know the game. There we were in the middle of the jungle, a long way from "civilization" (and I use that term loosely :mrgreen: ) and we had enough players to play dealer sits out. What a grand and glorious night, drinking great rum, eating freshly fried plantain chips, listening to the howler monkeys scream in the night, playing sheeps head.

Natch

Used to play pinochle growing up,,,the tempers flared when we younger teens won,,,the elders (german) took the game very seriously and would throw honest tantrums upon losing a game,,,kinda miss my grandmother muttering in german ,,,,if looks could kill,,,,