Favorite American Pipe Maker...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maiser

Reaction score
Let's see it gents!

Your favorite carver from any of the 50 United States, and why.

Me personally?

Bruce Weaver... sandblasting.

Well my list is short since I only have one, but I really like it and it also may be my lightest weight pipe. It is a Micoli and here is a picture...
Skip

It's autographed too and I think dated 1974 or 1975, my memory is dull today!
DSC05225-1.jpg

My favorites have changed a few times but Jack Howell has always remained at the top. I've never owned one of his pipes but they all look amazing.

Jim Cooke.

He just does the most awesome sandblasts. He also does wonderful interpretations of the classic shapes, to my eye.

Stuff like this:

picture.php

url

These two belong to the member zulucollector, borrowed from a post in another thread:
jtcookecantedappleqj4.png

jtcookebentbulldogad3.png

If it has to be just one - and this is hard to decide - for me it is David Johnson, Ozark Mountain Briars. I like his style, economical prices, and the attention he puts into making sure they're all good smokers. I own six - two of which are in his lowest price class. He buys pre-made stems and reworks them for some of his grades (to control price), but to the last, they're comfortable in the teeth, open on the draw, and always smoke to the bottom with no effort. His are a no-risk proposition for an economical pipe.

Steve

If it's pipes we own, then I'd say Scott Thile. His pipes are well made, light, easy draw, and on top of that, he's a nice guy.

:farao:

You guys make me want to know more about American pipe makers so guess I need to to a little research. I guess my problem is it's hard enough when we know who a pipe maker like say Radice, but to know nothing about a group makes it a bit hard. I have never know of any of them and only knew about Micoli because I saw the pipe I have and liked it, probably at a pipe show way back.

I will say it's smokes very well too.

Will for sure write down the names you posted here and look at their work. I do appreciate good work.

Skip

Skip48":7ivt66n5 said:
You guys make me want to know more about American pipe makers so guess I need to to a little research. I guess my problem is it's hard enough when we know who a pipe maker like say Radice, but to know nothing about a group makes it a bit hard. I have never know of any of them and only knew about Micoli because I saw the pipe I have and liked it, probably at a pipe show way back.

I will say it's smokes very well too.

Will for sure write down the names you posted here and look at their work. I do appreciate good work.

Skip
If you've got a whole lot of time, this page is a good place to start your research: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Brands_/_Makers

I no longer own any pipes from American carvers (other than some old Custom-Bilts, which I really like), but I've always liked looking at pipes from Mark Tinsky, J.T Cooke, Larry Roush, and Rad Davis. I also like the playfulness of Trevor Talbert and Adam Davidson.

I'm going to have to rectify this soon and see if I can find someone willing to accept a commission for the unpopular and (so I hear) somewhat aggravating-to-drill 9mm tenon.

Don't own any of either, but Trevor Talbert and Jody Davis are good contenders for me.

Great link and was told about that site, but just had not had time to go there yet. Looks like a good place to read a bit.

Thanks,

Skip

JM Boswell. Those Magnum and Grizzly pipes are the epitome of Americana, where "Bigger is Better"...lol

I've gotta say Brian Kalnitz out of West Seneca, NY.

I know, him, I've got some of his pipes, one I drew up a design for and he made it for me. Real nice guy. Takes good care of pipe smokers.

Had some, sold almost all of them for one reason or another. The only American pipe maker I still collect is Randy Wiley. His pipes are always well made, they have an open draw, smoke really well and they're priced reasonably.

Rad Davis and Trever Talbert are two who spring to mind. Tyler Lane is another, though he's only making the occasional pipe for sale. Jody Davis makes beautiful pipes, though I've never had the fortune to smoke one myself.

ragtopbob":9gbl3wvq said:
Had some, sold almost all of them for one reason or another. The only American pipe maker I still collect is Randy Wiley. His pipes are always well made, they have an open draw, smoke really well and they're priced reasonably.
Hear Hear Raggy!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

i'll have to go with teipen, tinsky, and i'll throw in sas for good measure.

(sorry piet--he said american pipe maker. btw, that one you made for david peterson is a stunner!)

bruins":2m5prh8m said:
i'll have to go with teipen, tinsky, and i'll throw in sas for good measure.

(sorry piet--he said american pipe maker. btw, that one you made for david peterson is a stunner!)
Did you see the one he made for Valky?, absolutely beautiful man :cyclops: