Favorite Artisan Pipemakers

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
Who are your five favourite artisan pipe makers? I am relatively new to the hobby, but so far mine, in no particular order, are:

- Rad Davis
- Chris Askwith
- Michael Parks
- Trevor Talbert
- JT Cooke

the rev

Reaction score
There are so many that are putting out amazing work. Lately I have been really loving Alex Florov and Grant Batson's designs. I am always a big fan of Wallenstein and Tarrock Briars weirdness. Tyler Lane, Jeff Gracik and Todd Johnson are all amazing. Steve Liskey is turning out really impressive pipes. Rad Davis is a legend. Tom Eltang is the man. ND pipes keeps putting out incredible stuff. I would say... most of them are my favorite :) Or wait, lets go with Bo Nordh

rev

Ocelot55

Reaction score
I can't say I have a favorite, of course I don't have many artisan pipes either. Each is appealing for different reasons.

Based strictly on my aesthetic preference, I really like Rad Davis' pipes. Scott Klein makes some phenomenal smoking pipes that are truly works of art too. I own one of Scott's pipes and it is great.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Paul Hubartt (Larrysson Pipes)
Craig Cooper (Cooper Pipes)
Chris Askwith (Askwith Pipes)

scotties22 right here on BoB, I love her work. :)

I also like the direction The Rev right here on BoB is going. ;)

osci

Reaction score
In no particular order:

Andrea Gigliucci
Paolo Becker
Maurizio Tombari(Le Nuvole)
Max Rimensi( Duca pipe)
Bruto Sordini(Don Carlos)

dshpipes

Reaction score
Tough question!

I'm gonna go with my favorite American pipe makers' work to look at. :p

1. Jeff Gracik
2. Steve Liskey
3. Alex Florov

My absolute favorite pipe maker working today is Vlademir Grechukhin.

Edit: Actually... a toss up between Grechukhin and Revyagin.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Nd (Daniel)
P. Heeschen
R. Davis
P. Hubartt
M. Revyagin
T. Harris
C. Cooper

...the list could go on. Funny thing, most of the time it's only because a handful of pipes have appealed to me, but has shown me what they're capable of...bonus points for many of them being really awesome guys... that helps a lot--just based on personal notes/exchanges with them on up to being a real customer. :lol:

8)

the rev

Reaction score
UberHuberMan":g66v5h7c said:
Tough question!

I'm gonna go with my favorite American pipe makers' work to look at. :p

1. Jeff Gracik
2. Steve Liskey
3. Alex Florov

My absolute favorite pipe maker working today is Vlademir Grechukhin.

Edit: Actually... a toss up between Grechukhin and Revyagin.
dude thanks for that

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SeDkclpc5_s" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

this pipe is the shizznit

rev

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
If I had the money I would buy 50 pipes immediately from at least a dozen makers. I don't like everything, but the level of craftsmanship possessed by so many makers is staggering! Drop-dead gorgeous pipes everywhere you look! There's no way I could name two or three makers.

BTW I was looking at Viprati the other day on Cupojoes, and they have a good selection of great grains for $200.00-$350.00, the kind of grain usually commanding several hundred dollars more, which it would if it were a Castello.

I did have a Viprati smooth show up with a flaw, but Scott Bundy, then with the Pipe Rack, said that Vipratis of the lower echelon are known to have flaws. I don't know this to be the case.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I dunno. Coveting pipes beyond one's reach is pretty awesome. The returns are instantaneous, at least. :lol:

8)

dshpipes

Reaction score
Kyle Weiss":kxnttue1 said:
I dunno. Coveting pipes beyond one's reach is pretty awesome. The returns are instantaneous, at least. :lol:

8)
Amen, brother!

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Oh, also to add to the list:

D. Huber (whoever that is)

...especially fine products for coveting. :twisted: :D

8)

SkagitSmoke

Reaction score
I really like Joe Nelson of Old Nellie Pipes, especially his sandblasted pipes. I will buy one of his some day.

I also like, in no particular order:
Tinsky
Askwith
Rad Davis

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
It's amazing how so many names come to mind. After I left my post, I thought of Larry Roush. I love the artistry in his pipes. Amazingly, none of his are turned on a lathe - all are hand carved.

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Todd Harris. I recall our brother Jers got on for Christmas. I loved that one, and googled the name after I saw it, but i cant seem to find a website that has his pipes. Anyone know (Jers, if you are reading this)?

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
Speaking of Rad Davis, a couple of new pipes for sale were just added to his website. I hope a brother gets at least one.

monbla256

Reaction score
Since I'm not actively buying pipes these days I really haven't developed an urge to look at "Artison" pipes much. Guess I'm much more of a traditionalist shape/style/size wise and most "Artison" folks don't produce many pipes like this . But if I had to pick ONE, it would have to our BOB, Growley who designs/makes pipes that suit me PERFECTLY :p

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
I will have to get myself a Rev and a Growley someday! Do they post any for sale here on the board?