Favorite Barbecue Sauce?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
To follow the hot sauce thread it only makes sense to have a thread on BBQ Sauces.

Maull's used to be my favorite but since moving to Iowa from the St. Louis area nearly 30 years ago Sweet Baby Rays has become my favorite. For a little while I could buy Maull's here but I haven't seen it in any stores for quite a few years. It originated in St. Louis over 100 years ago. I think they sold out to another company a couple of years ago.

Awww...Y'all like that sweet, gooey stuff. We North Carolinians like ours vinegary, peppery, and tart. From eastern NC, I get Scott's (out of Goldsboro, NC). From up around my hometown of Winston-Salem, I like Little Richard's/Real-Q (has a bit of tomato paste in it). Hardly ever buy regular, store-bought brands!! Plus, of course, no matter which of the above two I'm using; Texas Pete Hot Sauce is right beside it!!!!!!! Let's git ready for a pig pickin'!!! FTRPLT

Awww...Y'all like that sweet, gooey stuff. We North Carolinians like ours vinegary, peppery, and tart. From eastern NC, I get Scott's (out of Goldsboro, NC). From up around my hometown of Winston-Salem, I like Little Richard's/Real-Q (has a bit of tomato paste in it). Hardly ever buy regular, store-bought brands!! Plus, of course, no matter which of the above two I'm using; Texas Pete Hot Sauce is right beside it!!!!!!! Let's git ready for a pig pickin'!!! FTRPLT
Actually Maull's was a tomato based thin mop sauce that wasn't too sweet at all. If you want to talk about a sweet, gooey sauce then look at Cookies. It's like a tomato based overly thickened pancake syrup and sooooo SWEET. It's an Iowa brand and it's disgusting.

For ribs, I like a dry rub cooking with no sauce. When BBQ pork, lamb, or beef I like vinegar with black, white, cayenne pepper and put some Crystal hot sauce. My wife was from Savannah uses Johnny Harris original sauce though restaurant closed it is still making the sauce.

Jim

I will need to dig out my recipe book to verify the individual, Bubba?, who has a no tomato bbq sauce that I make. The sauce does have vinegar so along the Carolina type of sauces. My favorite.

Yep definitely down with the vinegar based sauce, that and mustard based. Lillies brand is our go to.

I marinate with a high grade Soy Sauce then brush on Bibigo - Go Chu Jang - Hot & Sweet.

D6DF006D-ED6B-4C90-A569-447D6483C901.jpeg

Yep definitely down with the vinegar based sauce, that and mustard based. Lillies brand is our go to.
I should have added that SWMBO enjoys the South Carolina mustard-based BBQ Sauce!! I can handle it also!! I'll check out Lillies

Last edited: