Favorite Book?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've re-read a book. I like to move from book to book, but I don't read many books. My favorites that I have read are Dostoevsky's Crime And Punishment and Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. The latter is great if you're interested in how life in old west had to have been. Extremely graphic, unforgiving, and profound.

I really enjoy Of Mice & Men and Cannery Row by Steinbeck, I have reread them both many times so would have to say they are tied as my favorites. I think I'll pull them out again as it has been a couple of years.

Shelby Footes Trilogy of the American Civil War is the best narrative history
I've ever read and it's perfect for smoking your pipe or a cigar.

Winslow :sunny:

Hmmm.....I can name several favourites, but even that will leave many out. So, off the top of my head:
Novels:
Les Miserables, Victor Hugo- Just brilliant in every possible sense. It's something like 1600 pages in the paperback version, and I was still sad to have it end.

To Kill a Mockingbird- People talk about wanting to write the great American novel. Harper Lee already did. Anyone who wants how much I admire that novel can ask my daughter, Scout.

The Fountainhead-Yes, it's overdone. But it's still a brilliant defense of the individual mind.

The last two are novels I come back to every couple of years.

Edit: I agree with the observation that Travels with Charlie is brilliant and worth many re-reads.

Dostoyevsky's prophetic The Possessed (also translated as The Devils) and also his The Brothers Karamazov are the two best novels I've read. Followed by the same author's Crime and Punishment. I would add Kafka's The Trial (not an easy read!) and, for sheer perfection, his novella, The Metamorphosis. Many of K's short stories are among my favorite short fiction. Heck, even his collection of epigrams is great. Just read A Report to an Academy.

Winslow":mcrs3538 said:

Gotta agree with you Winslow. Foote's Trilogy is the best thing I ever read on the Civil War (or as we refer to it here in the south The War of Northern Aggression).
For books that are great with pipe or cigar you can't beat Sherlock Holmes or anything by Dickens.

Centurian 803":djgb5hvq said:
...the Civil War (or as we refer to it here in the south The War of Northern Aggression).
As well as The War Of Southern Independence :D .

Hello all
W.E.B. Griffin is a great author I have all but a couple of his books and love every one. men at war books are great the hardest thing is to put it down so if you dont have time to realy read then wait till you have time. I will give myself two hours on a Sunday with a pot of coffee and a large Nording freehand and I belioeve this is the best time one can have with their colthes on :affraid:

Richard Hester":qkcqb4bn said:
I will give myself two hours on a Sunday with a pot of coffee and a large Nording freehand and I belioeve this is the best time one can have with their colthes on :affraid:
:lol!: Amen!

Even' All, I've been reading SF/Fantasy for almost 60 years, favs, The Puppet Masters by Heinlein, The Day of The Triffids,by John Wyndam, reading the Hickory Staff a "portal" novel now, Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Libris! :tongue:

I must say at least once a year I have to read My Lady Nicotine it was my first "pipe" book . I recieved it while I was in Iraq took me about a month to read it then so from that time every year on the date I read and reflect back its a nice time
Best Regards
Richard

I teach French literature so there are some Great Books that I must deal with all the time, like Pascal's Pensées or the Essays of Montaigne, as well as some plays by Racine and Molière.

The fabulous memoires of the Duc de Saint-Simon, the great chronicler of the court at Versailles under the Sun King, are a favourite, an endless source of delight on rainy days and bummy hours. Twelve huge volumes printed on Bible paper!

Saint-Simon had a decisive influence on all writers attempting to re-create an entire world, a whole period in history and the people who populated it, from Tolstoy and Proust to Henry James, Faulkner, Churchill, Bruce Catton and many others.

I also love Tolstoy. His great three novels, the even greater novellas and short stories, his plays. But a book I can't do without is his War and Peace. My grandparents were Russian émigrés and they loved this book above all others. I can still hear my grandmother's voice reading it out loud and explaining it to us children. It's "truer than truth itself", as Nabokov said.

My favorite book is and probably always will be:

Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Winslow":4feb3ehu said:

I met Shelby several times at conferences and meetings over in Memphis a while back. Great fellow, and could he tell a story, he'd keep everyone on the room spellbound with his topics, choice of words, and dialect.

Natch

Penthouse Forum, April, 1986. The Spring Break Special Edition. Year I turned 21.

That was some fine literature. I have the Norton annotated edition.

Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsh.....a three volume edition in one binding that every human on Earth should have to read.

My 2 favorite books are "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, an avid smoker of the briar I might add, and "Chosen For Life" by Sam Storms.

I enjoyed Radical by David Platt. But one of my favorite tomes is Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias.