Favorite Book?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a little suprised that 1984 and Brave New World were not mentioned.....
So I am mentioning them.

Bill

Just finished re-reading Robinson Crusoe for the first time since I was 11. It definately holds up. Was my favorite book as a child, & I must say, its still pretty damn good.

Really on an Aldous Huxley kick right now though, can't seem to get enough of him.

Besides that, anything by Chuck Palanuik

I have read many, many fantastic books, but the only one I have ever thought of immediately re-reading was the Count of Monte Cristo. Sweet, sweet revenge!

Two of my favorites are "Toxophilus" by Roger Ascham and "On The Road, The Scroll" by Jack Kerouac. :santa:

Besides the Bible...just one? Can't do it...Anna Karenina, Christian in Complete Armour, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Shogun, too many to list.

Favorite book of all time is actually a set (although they are often bundled together into a single physical tome).

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (trilogy?) by Douglas Adams.

Read it for the first time in ninth grade, and have enjoyed it hundreds of times since then.

Second favorite would be Lamb, the Gospel according to Biff - Christ's childhood pal by Christopher Moore.

Any other Douglas Adams or Chris Moore fans?

Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell

The Hobbit & LOTR Series - J.R.R. Tolkien

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

These are the six that I always come back to every couple of years. Nothing too eye opening, just good fun to read.

sam a":qnz3k68d said:
Milan":qnz3k68d said:
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
great book... DFW's Oblivion takes the cake for me though.

DAMN and shame on me. EVERYTHING by DFW is a favorite and Infinite Jest is a masterpiece.

I've read Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy several times. Great read and the remake last year was enjoyable as well.

All time favorite puffing a pipe while I read has been The Hobbit. I cannot attempt to recount how many times I have read this book. Heck, I guess I'll read it next!

Another great series and it took me 2 years to read, was The Wheel of Time series. There are something like a dozen books and each is about 800-900 pages long. Great detail has been put into the descriptions of the the imaginary world, culture, clothes, customs and characters. I believe book 4 was one that most people had the most trouble getting through as it was a bit slow.

Read Clancy novels that kept me up way past my bed time. There was always that one chapter you read where 3 sub-plots come together and you have no choice but to finish the novel at that point.

H.P. Lovecraft. A great turn of the century horror writer of short stories. If you grew up in the gloomy New England coastal winters, you will enjoy these horror classics.

On the business book side, Lean Startup, E-Myth Revisited, Purple Cow, and Presenting To Win are books I have reread.

For problem solving I have read Think Better several times.

Geoff, we have much in common.

Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy is a GREAT book. If you like John Le Carre and the whole spy novel genre, Daniel Silva is a modern novelist whose Gabriel Allon series is, for my money, unrivaled by modern thriller novelists.

Wheel of time has been on my "to read" list for a while. I think I'm probably going to dig into this spring.

My favorite book? How do you choose only one! Depending on my mood, I could say Jude the Obscure, A Tale of Two Cities, To Kill a Mockingbird, or The Count of Monte Cristo.

I will say this, though - I've loved reading for a very long time, and it has played a very large role in who I am and how my life has been shaped. I think a lot of this is thanks to a book I read as a child which sort of "set me on the path" of being an avid reader from an early age. I owe a lot to Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

idbowman":1frcg4iy said:
My favorite book? How do you choose only one!

I will say this, though - I've loved reading for a very long time, and it has played a very large role in who I am and how my life has been shaped. I think a lot of this is thanks to a book I read as a child which sort of "set me on the path" of being an avid reader from an early age. I owe a lot to Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

Agreed. Books are a lighting rod into ourselves about the world, past, present, and future. I cannot imagine what my life and sensibilities would be not having read certain books.

Sometimes I think "important" books (to the person) is often more interesting than favorite.

"Illusions" by Richard Bach is such a book for me.
"The Color of Water" and "The Glass Castle are such books.

I often love biographies for this reason, usually those of great artists or visionaries.

I try to make a point of reading "The Dead" by Joyce every New Year's Eve. It is a novella, really, but the last page never fails to move me, more so as I get older.