Favorite Book?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Man

Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite book? One you HAVE to read every several years?

I'd say mine right now is Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, though Sinclair Lewis' Main Street isn't far behind.

Of course this could change, still got a huge stack of "classics" to get through :face:

The Sacketts series by Louis L'Amore. I have read the entire series at least 5 times.

Steinbecks Travels with Charley is an all time fav, love re-reading that one over and over. Others that I am constantly drawn back to are Albert Camus' The Stranger, Trout Bum by John Geirach, The Longest Silence by Thomas McGuane, and Giovanni Pico de la Mirandola's 15th century eye opener, Oration on the Dignity of Man.

Rick Hacker's "Ultimate Pipe Book". It's the book that totally fueled my intrest in pipes when I first read it 12 or so years ago.! If I were to name another it would be "The Return of Sherlock Holmes". "The Empty House" is a classic...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

The books that I have read over and over are The Complete Short Stories by Ernest Hemingway and Best Known Works of Poe by Edgar Allen Poe.

The Bible.
The book of Ecclesiastes especially speaks to me.

"Joshua" by Francis A. Shaeffer.
A very interesting good read about Jesus in a modern day setting.
I could never tire of this book or the Bible.

"The South was Right!" by James Ronald Kennedy and Walter Donald Kennedy.
A book about the untrue history of the Civil War that was written by northern agressors and carpetbaggers. It exposes the mythology behind Civil War History and it's lasting effects on contemporary society.

regarded by many as the "cigar bible"

An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars by Min Ron Nee

great resource, i still go through it every few weeks.

nick

Every few years, I get a hankering for some good ole gothic horror...so I'll pick up Bram Stoker's Dracula...which I'm currently reading for the umpteenth time.

I also pick up every couple of years a collection of stories from P G Wodehouse, one of my favorite all time authors.

And, I read a few verses from the Bible every day. No particular order, but it certainly does help refresh me.

Mike

My copy of One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest is pretty ragged. It gets read every couple of years. Also The Lord of the Rings about every 2 to 3 years, including the Hobbit.

The Bible is the only thing I read a lot, but if I had to choose a fav book [and I don't really like reading...] it would be Fahrenheit 451. Just ordered on amazon a 2 in 1 book...2 book put together back to back...Animal Farm and 1984 I think it is... I tend to like books involving a political dystopia
I often wonder if I could write a book about what america could be like in 50 years if certain things were to happen...but I'm too lazy :roll:

Besides the Bible, one of my favorite books of all time would have to be Stephen King's, The Stand. The movie left much to be desired, but the book is a nail biting page turner. Only wish he'd do a sequel to it, as so many things were left unanswered at the end of the tale...

I reread Five Acres and Independence by M.G. Kains regularly. The Contrary Farmer by Gene Logsdon, too.

Favorite Book would have to be "The Gunslinger" By King. I really enjoyed the Full series but the first book and the opening line, "The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed", is in my opinion one of the greatest openers ever.
I recently read "A salty piece of land" by Jimmy Buffet and absolutely loved it. Hehe, I think some of the characters in that book may live in my town down here by the sea.
Right now I'm reading through Carl Hiaasen's Novels. Excellent author and commentator for the Miami Herald. His books are all set in Florida and have a certain Quirk to them that i enjoy.
"The Bible" is a daily read for me also. I usually just open to a random page and read a few verses.

I seldom re-read books (too many good ones I haven't read already), except for the Bible. But one of my favorite books for sure is The Brothers Karamazov by F Dostoevsky.

It starts real slow and builds in intensity. There is so much going on in there... deep stuff. It's definitely not written in a very modern style, i.e. it takes some discipline to get through if you aren't used to reading older books. But the insights into family relationships, love, greed, spirituality, and every other human experience are amazing.

-Andrew

"Sherlock Holmes and The Red Devil" by Larry Millet. I read it every Summer.....

Best,
D.J.

My favorite book other than the lord of the rings or Green eggs and ham...
I was forced to read a book in college called "No Great Mischeif" by Alistair Mcleod. I put it off until regrettably, i had to do a term paper on it the next day. So i brewed some coffee and dug in within four hours the book was read and already had my opening statement on paper.

To truly love this novel i believe one must have been born into a big family, also a hard working family. But was just a great read for me in my situation so it sticks out.

Well, let's see. I read the Hobbit and the Ring trilogy almost every year. I periodically return to the Sherlock Holmes stories: Moby Dick by Melville, The Sea Wolf by London and Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. And I read the Bible through every year.