Quantcast
  • ~ How to Use the New Software ~

Try logging in and if it is not accepting your password,, look to the bottom right corner of page for Contact Us and send a message.

Favorite drinks with pipe

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Brunello

Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds any kind of carbonated drink irritating to the palate while smoking? I also don't care for anything too acidic, like lemonade, while smoking. Except for coffee in the morning, I usually prefer just good clean water, or occasionally something palate-coating like Arizona Green Tea (which has honey in it). Alcohol is also generally an irritant while smoking, though a smooth, malty, low-carbonation brown ale works well with Burley. Water is just to keep my gob from drying out.

My favorite actual 'pairing' are coffee and pipe while sitting on the porch in the morning, and occasionally a good vintage Fuller's Ale with pipe in the evening (like Beerbeard, my favorite music and pipe guy on YouTube!)

Mostly just curious about others reactions to carbonated beverages.

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
I agree with your take on carbonated beverages. I enjoy coffee or ice tea with my pipes normally.

kxg

Reaction score
Either coffee with heavy cream or Laphroiag 10 with water on the side. Obviously a morning/evening contrast.

thedeep

Reaction score
My standard, all day any day, is coffee. In the evening I will have a whiskey occasionally.

Hal Ling

Reaction score
I have tried coffee time and time again, and since I like my coffee really hot, it doesn’t offer relief or a balanced contrast to the experience of pipe smoking for me. I can handle carbonated water (tonic, soda water) but generally not pop/soda. I do enjoy a nice rye or scotch with a drop or two of water to open up and soften those flavours when I am smoking an English or Balkan. And I personally think homemade sweet iced tea pairs well with VAs, VaPers, and Burley.

Barton24101

Reaction score
I've tried many different non alcohol as well as alcohol beverages while enjoying my pipe. I still find a cool glass of water the best. Sometimes during a hot summer day I'll have a glass of iced tea, Not much sugar or lemon. I find either alters the flavor of the tobacco too much.

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
Hal Ling":it17ptyy said:
I have tried coffee time and time again, and since I like my coffee really hot, it doesn’t offer relief or a balanced contrast to the experience of pipe smoking for me.
I usually drank coffee hot regardless of outside temps... until I moved to North Carolina, just can't handle the heat here lol. I have my coffee iced regularly now, even in the morning.

BriarBeagle

Reaction score
Having parted ways many years ago with old John Barleycorn, and not being a huge fan of soft drinks in general, I generally reach for ice water as well. However, a pipe-smoking friend in the Netherlands got me into teas a few years ago which is a whole other rabbit hole to explore for those adventurous enough.  I find that the variety in teas provide many options for excellent pairing with different tobacco's, while at the same time being easy on the palate. Coffee is essential in the morning for me regardless, Pipe or no pipe.

peanubutter

Reaction score
Water is my go to drink but started drinking beer again, in moderation of course, and that works with pipes and cigars for me.

Ranger107

Reaction score
Not into carbonated beverages either. Only one I drink with a pipe is the occasional honey bourbon with a splash of diet 7 up.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Either Coffee or coffee, not necessarily in that order.

Thomas Tkach

Reaction score
I love beer (I brew my own), but I agree with the irritating quality of carbonation while smoking a pipe. Whiskey and coffee are great with a pipe or cigar. As always, enjoy in moderation.