Favorite Fall pipe tobacco blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
Without any doubt, Fall is my favorite season. Today I was driving home from work, enjoying a bowl of John Patton Dark Horse and thinking how this blend is a fitting representation of the changing weather. I'm trying to find a few blends that fit nicely into a rotation for this Fall. Does anyone have a favorite blend they smoke during the Fall?

Best wishes
Adam

I like Haunted Bookshop year round, but even more perhaps in Fall. Another Fall favorite of mine is Deep Hollow.

BTW, I love the John Patton blends. I always keep Storm Front on hand.

I don't exactly have a fall favorite, but it's around this time of year that I begin smoking more Latakia mixtures. I pretty much put them away entirely once the warmer weather picks up.

I also like smoking a few richer tasting perique filled blends like Fillmore, Haddo's, St. James Flake, HH Acadian & Beacon Extra.

For me nothing better than a warm fire in the fireplace on a cool night with a bowl of Arango Balkan Supreme accompanied with three fingers of some aged sour mash over the rocks. Sadly I can no longer handle the sour mash so a glass of decaffeinated iced tea has to suffice. :)

AJ

As for me, I usually smoke any of the blends I enjoy year round. Don't have a specific season for a blend other than I do smoke more Latakia blends in cool weather. But I do enjoy many Lat blends in the Summer.

I'm a BIG fan of all the John Patton blends and smoke any of them year round. I know many within this forum smoke Storm Front and enjoy this wonderful burley blend with cigar leaf. Now if you've not had the pleasure of meeting Crossroads I highly suggest you do! Crossroads is made up of Virginia's, cigar leaf, Oriental/Turkish. The John Patton blends are always consistent year after year. You can find John Patton blends @ 4Noggins. A great retailer to do business with :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Since I've smoked pipes regularly for less than two years I can't really say that I have specific blends to match seasons. It's hard to believe 2017 is almost over and I haven't smoked one cigar this year -- I ended up wandering down the rabbit hole of pipe smoking/collecting/TAD/PAD after smoking cigars regularly for a year or so, but these days I always prefer to reach for a pipe. After seeing Shane Ireland's video on SP about Fall Blends it got me thinking along that line. I suppose the question I'm really asking is are there any blends with flavor profiles that match your mood or frame of mind with the change of seasons -- Fall in this case. Christmas definitely has it's own set of holiday blends, i.e. Holiday Spirit. Spring seems to warrant Virginias's, or blends with those bright floral notes, although I'm having a tough time distinguishing how I feel differently between Spring and Summer.

I spent 5-6 months living in Copenhagen during the Fall of 2008 (unfortunately I wasn't a pipe smoker then, pangs of shameful missed opportunities often haunt me) and the Danes have a word, "hygge", meaning "a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being." I suppose for myself, Fall brings with it a very hygge feeling. Chris hit the nail on it's head for me -- rich, full flavor blends would be very fitting. Dark red Virginias, Perique, spicier oriental's, dark fired Kentucky are probably the leaf I'm looking for at this time of year.

Haunted Bookshop has been a regular smoke for me. Early on I was put off by the harsher notes that arise when pushed but as my technique has improved with sipping blends, I find this blend to be great for my morning drive to work (nice nic boost as well). Haddo's and Fillmore are great suggestions -- actually opened tin of Haddo's after reading your post Chris. Beacon Extra, St. James flake are blends I own but have not yet cracked the seal. There is an unopened tin of Deep Hollow that has been sitting in my cellar for over a year, just haven't opened it yet due to lots of mixed reviews on TR.com and because aromatic have been out of my rotation for awhile. I think this year I will finally open the tin and find out for myself if I like this blend. HH Acadian, Storm Front and Crossroads are blends I don't own, probably will give them a go in the next few months.

Latakia is something I'm trying to come to grips with at present. I used to smoke quite a few Latakia based blends, and have a significant portion of my cellar dedicated to this variety. I admittedly was fascinated with the smokiness and complexity of Latakia for awhile. Lately, something has changed in my palate, but perhaps I should try easing back into them.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Adam, you've come along way in the past two years of enjoying a pipe. You'll find there are many blends on the market that " are best when sipped ", no bite, no harshness and much more flavor and overall complexity. I know other pipe smokers that have enjoyed a pipe for over 30 years and still don't understand the concept of sipping certain blends.
CONGRATULATIONS.....glad your enjoying The Art of Fine Pipe Smoking.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

To me, that Deep Hollow only seems to get better with aging. I'm mad at myself for running out of aged DH. I need to buy some tins and put up for a few years, or maybe I can find some tins sitting on a dusty shelf at a B&M.

Nothing special here. Any robust, heavy latakia blends. I used to smoke English blends almost exclusively, except for the occasional Escudo bowl, but my palate changed 180°. I reckon if I had more Englishes laying around, I'd smoke them more now in the Fall. I don't, so I won't. I'm hoping to order some Limey Bastard here in October. Other than some Park Lane blends, that's the one coming in my dreams.

I don't usually ring any changes when fall rolls around. Just the usual routine of Va/VaPer and occasionally burley blends.

Cheers,

RR

<original post redacted due to wrong forum topic>

It's spring time in SA, almost summer!

So it's Virginias and Vapers for me, all the way