Favorite HOT Sauce?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I think we’re done this before. Maybe just as a subset on a different thread. But since I’ll be seriously diving back into the kitchen over the holidays I thought it would be fun to showcase the holiday hot stuff more specifically.

The hit sauces I have mostly used:

1. Tobasco,
2. Cholula and
3. Sriracha.

Recently I’ve added:

4. Frank’s Red Hot…to the list. Nice addition. Salty and a bright addition to your scrambled eggs.

But I wanted a few more for variety and remembered Carlos had suggested several some time ago. So they’re on order now. They are:

5. The Pepper Plant - California Style (from Amazon)
6. Boulder Hit Sauce - Smokey Serrano (directly from Boulder)

Then just for lucky seven and cause I like el cheapo stuff that’s pretty revered I got some:

7. Valentina Salsa Picante (in most every store) Had to have at least one from Mexico in addition to the Cholula.

There. That should get me through the holidays.

1637776987210.jpeg

Dis will light you right up!

🔥

Cheers,

RR

That was it. Til I stumbled on a bottle of Crystal hot sauce on Amazon fir $0.90!!! Yes, ninety cents! Deluvered. OK…I’ll bite.
At our groceries have a price of $1.35 to $1.49. Where you get a price at Amazon?

Tabasco was fermented because it taste like half rotten not at Crystal nor Petes.

Ohhhhh Noooooooo ya don’t! I’m putting anything YOU like on the “Danger Will Robinson” hotsauce list.

Well, that's not the only hot sauce I like but it is rather, shall we say....challenging! It has way great flavor along with the heat, and of course you can be judicious about the amount you use since a little goes a long way. Some of the others in this series I like are -

1637794563122.jpeg

1637794593983.jpeg

1637794636436.jpeg

Of the three above, the Louisiana is probably the mildest. I can use that like ketchup!

For an everyday vinegar based pepper sauce I've embraced this -

71D4Y1I2yDL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Big on pepper flavor, no sugar or sweeteners added so very "dry", and the vinegar character is overshadowed by the cayenne pepper. Not overly hot but it depends on how much one uses.

Here's one that isn't well known, but fast became one of my go-to's...

a3bb9f44a4b9ca22fbd7dfc208457c4dccfb9634893a0762d32e7371334e192f

Small bottle, big flavor, med-hot. Love it on burritos. Used to get it at the local dollar store but it's been OOS for ages so guess I'll have to order some online.

I also like Tapatio (pretty mild, use it like ketchup); Franks Regular, Franks X-Tra Hot, Tobasco (red, green, and chipotle) for a primarily based vinegar sauce; and El Yucateco.

Too many others to mention just now....

Cheers,

RR

Ol’ Dawg - Note screenshot of my Amazon order page below…but don’t go looking for it to save yourself a few cents. There was one available at that price..land I assume it was an error on their part because all other vendors have it now listed at over $9.00. If my past experiences with Amazon are any clue they will ultimately not honor the order and claim it was lost or abducted by space aliens or something. If you’re getting it for like in the $1.50 range that seems pretty darn good to me.

Don’t know how to respond to your comment about Tobasco being bad. I’ve never had an off bottle in 50 years. Tabasco chiles are chopped up, mixed with salt and then poured into old oak barrels to ferment in a barn for up to five years. But most is released after only three years. So it’s always fermented. Right?

Here’s the Amazon thing:

D20C47E4-645F-45A2-B162-FCC13C52A8D6.png

Louisiana, Frank's, Crystal, et al are all very similar. Mild. Red. Good vinegar flavor with enough salty taste. Perfect on fish and frys.

I get The Pepper Plant direct, by the case. Good southwestern flavor. The Chunky Garlic is garlicky. The others I have not tried. But good value for the money.

The Boulder Hot Sauce Company also makes several that I have not tried. But I do like the roasted pepper flavor of Smokey Serrano. Great on eggs.

Any hot sauce that looks like it might hurt me, I don't touch it. I will use a few drops of Tabasco rarely.

I’ve had the following recommended pretty strongly…supposed to be good for its flavors, not for its heat which is mild?

SAUCE BAE Skinny Habanero Hot Sauce​

(With Pineapple & Turmeric, Low Sodium, All Natural, Sweet Mild Heat)​

C63F43BD-7328-45A2-86AA-3C273D6C2786.jpeg

I like:
  • Arizona Gun Slinger Original Red Jalapeno Pepper Sauce
  • Firewalker Hot Sauce from Asheville, NC

Ol’ Dawg - Note screenshot of my Amazon order page below…but don’t go looking for it to save yourself a few cents. There was one available at that price..land I assume it was an error on their part because all other vendors have it now listed at over $9.00. If my past experiences with Amazon are any clue they will ultimately not honor the order and claim it was lost or abducted by space aliens or something. If you’re getting it for like in the $1.50 range that seems pretty darn good to me.

Don’t know how to respond to your comment about Tobasco being bad. I’ve never had an off bottle in 50 years. Tabasco chiles are chopped up, mixed with salt and then poured into old oak barrels to ferment in a barn for up to five years. But most is released after only three years. So it’s always fermented. Right?

Here’s the Amazon thing:

View attachment 2928
Your first post you said 1st was Tabasco and the last was Crystal about your sale. The last one for Tabasco I never liked the taste like half rotten. I have tried a lot of hot sauce, but I always back to Crystal.

For the Scoville heat units for popular hot sauces you can find therecipe.com Surprising!

Cholula has been the standard at our house for many years. Texas Pete's and Tapatio are good runners up. Tabasco will ashtrays have a place in my heart for breakfast, no other hot sauce seems to work on eggs.

My recent favorite is the garlic Cholula sauce and the Slap Your Mama seasoning, I put that $heet on everything.

Today I tried two Habanero sauces that are carrot/onion based…Habanero Hot Sauce by Yellow Bird (Organic Carrots, Onions, Habanero Peppers, Organic Distilled Vinegar, Garlic, Organic Cane Sugar, Tangerine Juice Concentrate, Salt, Lime Juice Concentrate) and Marie Sharp’s Habanero Pepper Sauce (Select Red Habanero Peppers, Fresh Carrots, Onions, Lime Juice, Vinegar, Garlic, and Salt) on my scrambled eggs. Both were fine indeed.

Today I tried two Habanero sauces that are carrot/onion based…Habanero Hot Sauce by Yellow Bird (Organic Carrots, Onions, Habanero Peppers, Organic Distilled Vinegar, Garlic, Organic Cane Sugar, Tangerine Juice Concentrate, Salt, Lime Juice Concentrate) and Marie Sharp’s Habanero Pepper Sauce (Select Red Habanero Peppers, Fresh Carrots, Onions, Lime Juice, Vinegar, Garlic, and Salt) on my scrambled eggs. Both were fine indeed.

I've had the Yellow Bird Habby sauce and enjoyed it. Not fiery hot but nice enough.

Cheers,

RR

Tabasco, Louisiana hot sauce, franks, Cheech has a hot sauce that is good but hard to find around here.