Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4028
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 4028

I'm not sure if the question was recently asked...So, can you tell us what your favorite brands of pipe, or pipemaker, is/are, and why?

Currently, because of the new lifestyle I have since I retired, Falcon are best for me, as well as Petersons. But I still keep a soft spot for the Made in Denmark Stanwell, because the price was right, quality and engineering were great, they looked great and smoked great as well.

Pipemakers wise (artisans), Ryan Alden, Charl Goussard and David Enrique are my top picks. The care to details they apply, besides the impeccable engineering, as well as their price range, remain unbeatable. And they make stunning looking pipes!

David, sadly, had to cease his activities. I believe it's a significant loss to our hobby.

Pipe Brands? Comoy and GBD

Pipemaker? While he is not in the same class as those mentioned above, Briar Spirit Pipes because of the love and "heart" Kirk put in each one.

Walt

Missouri Meerschaum, Savinelli, Dunhill and Ascorti would be my favorite pipe brands. Oh, let's not forget GBD and Stanwell! Those are the ones I smoke the most, so I guess they are my favorites!

pepesdad1":d6u7878k said:
Pipe Brands?  Comoy and GBD

Pipemaker?  While he is not in the same class as those mentioned above, Briar Spirit Pipes because of the love and "heart" Kirk put in each one.

Walt
With you there Walt. I miss those days with Kirk. I consider myself very fortunate to have a few of his creations. As mentioned above, lots of other great pipesmiths out there though and making a call on one would be a discredit to the others.

Would like to get a Tinsky some day...

My favorites are the Italians, Castello, Moretti, Ascorti, Caminetto, Savinelli, not necessarily in that order

ak2000":fg2o0uy4 said:
Would like to get a Tinsky some day...

My favorites are the Italians, Castello, Moretti, Ascorti, Caminetto, Savinelli, not necessarily in that order

Then get one, dammit! :twisted:
(I have 26 of em - best price/quality/beauty ratio IMO.)

My Tinskys, Rad Davis and Ruthenbergs get most of the action.
(Rad and Brian no longer make pipes.)

As with the same question relating to tobacco, I just can't nail down one maker/artisan. I own 175+ pipes, all kinds; only a few have been a disappointment. I will say that I really miss KBossi, Rad Davis, Bill Ashton-Taylor, and Brian Ruthenberg :cheers: FTRPLT

Lately I've had a bit of a man crush on Chris Asteriou. I've got 3 of his pieces and they are all exceptionally engineered and beautiful to look at. Fine, Fine smokers, but a bit pricey. There are so many talented carvers, both old and new, but I'll be content with a good ole' MM Marcus cob any day of the week.

Cobs and those of anyone who can make a really great billiard. Jesse Jones comes to mind, but I only have one of his. I've seen several that I wish I hadn't passed on. Quantity-wise, Peterson appears to be my favorite, but that wouldn't be true. Many pipes of mine smoke better than Petes generally. Castellos, Dunhills, Il Ceppo, Ron Powell, Ser Jacopo. Never met a Stanwell I didn't like. I guess I don't really have a favorite. Oh, wait...I said cobs, didn't I?

Guess my two favorite "brands" would be pre 1980 Charatan and pre 1980 Edwards as I have the most of these in my collection. The only "artisan" pipe I own is a Growley but sadly he's not making pipes anymore but it is one of the best pipes I own. :twisted:

Well, I have to immodestly say my favorite  smokers are my own, followed by all the Jarls I have.  I love to fire up a new one right out of the shop and see how it is.

I see a lot of "I'd like to get a tinsky on this thread.... If only one of our brother's had one listed over on the trading post for a very reasonable price...

(In this day and age, I feel it's best to note that I have no association with any items for sale... Just a psa!)

jefe1037":657rld9s said:
I see a lot of "I'd like to get a tinsky on this thread.... If only one of our brother's had one listed over on the trading post for a very reasonable price...

(In this day and age, I feel it's best to note that I have no association with any items for sale... Just a psa!)
:cheers:

A particular type of shape and finish I would like to own one day would be one of Larrysson's tree Barks...I love th organic look of them!

Many of the makers/artisans I enjoy are already listed.

Factory pipes I have and respect are Peterson and Savinelli. Some say Peterson have jumped the shark on quality. That may or may not be so, but all I can say is that the ones I have and smoke are fine. And I do have some newer ones. Beyond that, I have some other Italian makers that rate high.

Artisan carvers:

Who can say enough about all the talent we have right here in the U.S. of A with folks like Jesse Jones, Mark Tinsky, Brian G. Rowley, Ron Powell, Rad Davis, David Huber, Todd Johnson, and many more. Our own Kirk Fitzgerald (Briar Spirit) has made my top 5 list. Pity he isn't carving any more.

I'd also like to add a commission from Charl Goussard some day. Plus many more.....

And while I don't own pipes from all those listed, I feel privileged to enjoy the few that I do have. I do like to support the individual entrepreneurs in their quest for expression and perfection.

What was the question again?  :scratch:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude, I have more Petersons than any other maker. They are my favorite. Have had no issues with any of those I
have bought but realize not everybody can claim that. Never owned an artisan pipe.

I’ve been meditating this question and will offer this unspecific reply — I have about ten pipes still in boxes that I’ve only admired, so far. So there’s initial attraction. Style, brand an finish generally reflects my older pipes. However, if you’re talking long-term, meaningful relationships,? I’d have to list the Stanwells, Charatans, Petes, Savs and Jobeys that have been my briar buddies, some for five decades. From my rack population, you may say the proprietor has a soft spot — but not exclusively — for blasts with a slight “S” bend.