Favorite Pizzeria Pizza?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So what's your all-time most favourite pie from your favourite Pizzeria? The one you hold up against all others as the yardstick?

For me, hands down, it would have to be a thin crust pie from the old establishment in Madison, WI known as Paisan's. Got acquainted with their wares back around '70 when I was a cheesehaed living in the Milwaukee area, and was known to drive all 50+ miles of an evening just to eat one of their scrumptious pizzas!

When I first discovered them while visiting a friend enrolled at UW Mad-town back then, they were located in the basement of a more upscale eye-talian restaurant known as "The Portebella". Apparently serving the same food but at higher prices. Can't confirm that.

Anywhoo, Paisan's always literally had lines out the door. No reservations. Wait time could be anywhere from 15-45 min. It seemed to move quickly though and none of us ever complained.

It was worth it in the end. The pies arrived quickly after ordering, and were hot. They also did a mean garlic bread. And this is where I was introduced to the delights of good all-malt German beer. They had both the light and dark version of Lowenbrau. And despite what that brand has devolved into today (a mere shadow of its former self), back then it was a revelation. To me anyway. But I digress-

The pie there was perfection in all ways. Talk about your thin crispy crust - dough made fresh every day and hand thrown - sauce not from a can but prepared from scratch - all veggies fresh. Can't get better than that.

My pie of choice back then - the Super hot:

SUPER HOT – Pepperoni, sliced onions, banana peppers and hot spicy cheese.

It was always consistent down through the years. And I continued to go there whenever the spirit moved well into the late 80's when I still was a cheesehead.

Revisited them sometime in the mid-90's and they were still up to scratch. And even though I was a veggie-terrorist I still ordered the original pie. Call it a lapse or whatever.

And yours?

Cheers,

RR

Your old fashion mom and pop Italian pizzeria's are usually the best ones BD.
This new breed cheese burger pizza crap (just to mention one of many) is for the birds as far as I'm concerned.
If I want a fricken burger I'll buy one, when I want a Pizza I want as close as I can get to a real Italian one.
We have a small shop here called Doc's, not an Italian in the place but, they make a fine pizza in comparison to Domino's, Pizza hut, etc. Years ago there was a small chain, two I believe called Me & Ed's, fantastic pizza's but, there long gone now I believe and I've yet to have one as good as there's. If I could only go to Italy and have the real thing.

Not to go to far off subject but, my Mom had an Italian lady living next door when she was a young lady that babysitted my brothers and sisters. She taught mom how to make the greatest spaghetti & meatballs and, the best Lasagna I've ever had, to die for.
The sad thing is, the recipes were lost when mom past and I've never had anything that came even close since.

Chuck wagon Pizza.... mom and pop shop in me and GMFs town.... best pie ever

Massey Pizza, Columbus Ohio

Pep-Pizza.jpg

Mario's pizza in Croydon, New South Wales, Australia. Run by Italians, it's almost as good as being in Napoli. Very tasty.

Cheers

Tim

Pizza, in my opinion and experience, is food for when you're desperate or drunk. Any qualities that one pizza has over another then become moot.

Cartaphilus":4pjjzww8 said:
Not to go to far off subject but, my Mom had an Italian lady living next door when she was a young lady that babysitted my brothers and sisters. She taught mom how to make the greatest spaghetti & meatballs and, the best Lasagna I've ever had, to die for.
The sad thing is, the recipes were lost when mom past and I've never had anything that came even close since.
Cart, My Grandfather was severely wounded in Italy during WW2. So naturally he married a 1st gen Italian-American girl when he came home. All of their children were just regular old American. To granny's way of thinking you only get to hyphenate your citizenship if you had at some point actually been a citizen of whatever you were -American, and you only got to be xxx-American if you had became an American citizen. She wasn't highly educated but she made a lot of sense.

I'm not a huge pizza fan. There is a shop here locally, Jailhouse Pizza, that makes an edible pie but they are about it. The problem is the pricing. I can grill a good cut of steak with all the fixins for everyone in the house much cheaper than I can buy their pizza.

I usually don't eat pizza (California), but the most memorable that I have ever tasted were from a place called Ralph's in Haddon Heights NJ and Koronet on 111th in NYC.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away....been a longtime but I have fine memories of pizza (can't remember the shop name) made in the Staten Island ferry terminal, Battery Park, Manhattan, New York, USA!

When I was a cheesehead living in the Milwaukee area, there was one delivery joint that had a pie that had cheese, onions, hot jalapeño peppers, green olives, and sauerkraut (yes really).

It was surprisingly good and I ordered it frequently. The green olives offered an interesting sourness/acidity along with the kraut.

Sadly, the sodium associated with that is not compatible with a hypertensive individual such as myself presently!

:evil:

No Cheers,

RR

Zeno Marx":wxgo5adx said:
Pizza Luce, 119 North 4th Street Minneapolis, MN 55401
I love The Red from Luce. The sauce and natural mozzarella are delicious! I lived near Dulono's on Lake Street when I was a kid and I really liked their pies especially at bar time after a show!

Brewdude":wxgo5adx said:
Madison, WI known as Paisan's.
Paisan's is pretty good. They moved from near campus to next to the convention center.

MisterE":wxgo5adx said:
Bar none, the original Uno y Due on Wabash in Chicago! :cheers:
I love Uno's. The crust at the Wabash stores are different, much better than the franchise locations.

My favorite pies are from the Grimaldi's franchise. I've eaten at the original Patsy's in Brooklyn NYC. I've ate at several franchise stores across the country and IMO they are as good the the original.

Locally I like South Lanes salty greasy thin crust pizza. They bake the pies in crusty old pizza ovens that they don't clean out so the crispy crust bottom is speckled in tasty char.
It's an old Lavern and Shirley style pizza bowl where you get your drinks at the bar. :shock:

Can I just say I prefer most pizza of the non-dish/deep variety more the next morning, out of the fridge, than I do it hot out of the bake? I just did. I do. I really do. I love it so much more that I'm still surprised that there aren't successful breakfast pizza joints. Maybe there's one in NYC or Naples. I don't know. I've asked and never received any hits. I don't want fresh pizza in the morning. I want cold, day-old pizza.

I looked at Pizza Luce's menu, and I didn't see The Red. What's on it?

The Original Vincent's on Mott Street, Little Italy, NYC

IT WAS PIZZA TO DIE FOR.......and back in the MOB days many did :twisted:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!