Favorite Sherlock Holmes Quote

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Fox

Reaction score
Ok everybody, let's hear 'em, favorite Sherlock Holmes quotes. Any Holmes characters from movies, TV shows, or books.

A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.

...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
Holmes: "That was the curious incident."

The brain attic is one of my favorites too, I just can't remember which story it's in...
my favorite line from the current movies is "... he doesn't mind."

Something tells me I am going to have to renew my acquaintance with Mr. Holmes. I was a mere lad when I last encountered him. I believe the complete works are free on Kindle, in which case I'm good to go.

Watson, this appears to be quite the three bowl problem!!

"I have another set of vices when I am well, but those are the principal ones at present."

Watson, when considering sharing rooms with Holmes in A Study in Scarlet.

The brain attic was indeed in the Five Orange Pips, but it was a reminiscence of the passage in A Study in Scarlet.

Sherlock Holmes: You don't mind breaking the law?

Dr. John Watson: Not in the least.

Sherlock Holmes: Nor running the chance of arrest?

Dr. John Watson: Not in a good cause.

Sherlock Holmes: Oh, the cause is excellent.

Dr. John Watson: Well, then I am your man.

i have a couple i love..

"I am the most incurably lazy devil that ever stood in shoe leather."

“Education never ends, Watson. It is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”

“The game is afoot.”

"To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. "

love yours KRG and Fazby

Holmes: "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

"That'll be the day!"
"You didn't shoot Liberty Valance!"

Oops! That's John Wayne........Never mind :fpalm: 

"It's impossible to sustain a smoking habit in London these days. Bad news for brain work"

Okay, that's from the BBC series and not the original source material, but still...

Anyone else who has watched ep3 from the third series - how disappointing that the smoking scene with Sherlock and Mycroft was cigarettes rather than grand pipes?

//idlefellow wrote:

...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.//end quote//

that one must be my favorite--i use it all the time and it drives my wife to distraction