Favorite Tobacco Related Holmes Stories

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
As a big fan of the "Canon", as well as Sherlock Holmes OTR and movies/TV episodes, I was thinking tonight what my favorite stories were where tobacco plays a role. Here are a few of my faves:

1.) The Man With The Twisted Lip - Sherlock Holmes stays up all night to solve the case and consumes an ounce of "shag" in the process

2.) The Yellow Face - A client leaves a pipe behind at Baker Street and Holmes' makes numerous deductions about the man by examining his pipe and then comments to Watson how you can always judge a man from his pipe and his watch.

3.) The Hound of the Baskervilles - Watson walks into the sitting room, only to find that the whole room is filled with smoke. He actually thinks at first that a fire has broken out. After opening a window to air out the room, he asks Holmes "how can you stand all the smoke?". Holmes responds that "I find that a concentrated atmosphere helps a concentrated thought" which is one of my favorite quotes as you can see from my sig.

4.) The Crooked Man - Holmes remarks at the beginning of the story while visiting Watson at his home that Watson is "still smoking that Arcadia mixture from his youth". I had to buy some McClelland Arcadia mixture after reading this story!

5.) The Unfortunate Tobacconist - this is an old time radio episode done by Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. Here is a link for anyone interested in hearing it. http://www.archive.org/details/HQSherlockRathboneTCS

6.) The Elusive Agent - a three part old time radio episode with John Stanley where a particular pipe tobacco blend made by a local tobacconist using Perique plays a role in solving the crime. http://www.archive.org/details/tcssherlockholmesjohnstanleyhq2

7.) The House of Fear - a Sherlock Holmes movie made in the 40's starring Rathbone/Bruce. A peculiar blend of tobacco infused with Jamacian Rum (Pipeworks&Wilke Rumcake perhaps?) that plays a key role in solving the crime. This entire movie features a TON of great scenes where pipes are being smoked.

Looking forward to hearing what other Holmesian stories/movies that folks on here enjoy where tobacco plays a prominent role. I know there are a ton of good Jeremy Brett era Holmes episodes where pipe smoking is very prominent. I am also glad to see that more pipe smoking was added to the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes sequel movie, as I thought that pipes were lacking in the first movie!

-Scott

The "House of Fear"? Is that the one where Watson asks Holmes if he's smoking seaweed, and Holmes replies that smoking strong tobacco helps one stay awake?

scottbtdmb":ekh9w1g6 said:
2.) The Yellow Face - A client leaves a pipe behind at Baker Street and Holmes' makes numerous deductions about the man by examining his pipe and then comments to Watson how you can always judge a man from his pipe and his watch.
This is the story I think of when I think of Holmes expounding on tobacco as a clue.

7.) The House of Fear - a Sherlock Holmes movie made in the 40's starring Rathbone/Bruce. A peculiar blend of tobacco infused with Jamacian Rum (Pipeworks&Wilke Rumcake perhaps?) that plays a key role in solving the crime. This entire movie features a TON of great scenes where pipes are being smoked.
I love that movie. If I remember rightly, the tobacco was Havana cigar leaf infused with Jamaca rum -- so mix some Tambolaka in with that Pipeworks!

It's not Holmes, but it is English mystery -- I was rewatching the 1970s BBC adaptation of DL Sayers' The Nine Taylors last weekend -- lots of good pipe scenes in that one, inc. Jim Thoday (a sailor) cutting plug tobacco and loading his pipe

Churchwarden":dwwoibng said:
The "House of Fear"? Is that the one where Watson asks Holmes if he's smoking seaweed, and Holmes replies that smoking strong tobacco helps one stay awake?
no, actually watson asks one of the other characters, one capt. simpson, if HE is smoking seaweed, after inhaling some of the smoke from that character's pipe. HOLMES interjects by asking capt simpson: "cuban?" capt. simpson replies :"aye...flavoured with jamaican rum!" Holmes: words to the effect " i suppose you're not much bothered by tobacco borrowers?"
later, in another scene, as watson and holmes prepare for a night vigil to prevent another murder, watson asks "how can you smoke that beastly stuff?" to which holmes replies words to the effect that "smoking strong tobacco helps one stay awake," as you pointed out.
by far, House of Fear is THE rathbone/holmes film most loaded with references to pipes, tobaccos and pipe smoking. in fact a pipe tobacco canister is a prime clue in establishing the murder(ers') identity. the film is GREAT fun!!!!

jr/john

jrtaster":i5b4dptb said:
Churchwarden":i5b4dptb said:
no, actually watson asks one of the other characters, one capt. simpson, if HE is smoking seaweed, after inhaling some of the smoke from that character's pipe. HOLMES interjects by asking capt simpson: "cuban?" capt. simpson replies :"aye...flavoured with jamaican rum!" Holmes: words to the effect " i suppose you're not much bothered by tobacco borrowers?"
later, in another scene, as watson and holmes prepare for a night vigil to prevent another murder, watson asks "how can you smoke that beastly stuff?" to which holmes replies words to the effect that "smoking strong tobacco helps one stay awake," as you pointed out.
by far, House of Fear is THE rathbone/holmes film most loaded with references to pipes, tobaccos and pipe smoking. in fact a pipe tobacco canister is a prime clue in establishing the murder(ers') identity. the film is GREAT fun!!!!

jr/john
Good to hear from another fan of this classic Rathbone/Bruce flick. You just reminded me that it is time to watch it again!

-Scott

scott...it infuriates my wife that i can watch any rathbone/bruce sherlock film two or three times in as many nights. but as you suggest, ya gotta love them. so enjoy it, again.

i have a version of the scarlet claw which contains a voice-over commentary by (they say) a noted holmes historian, who has numerous tidbits about the scarlet claw, which he argues is THE best of the rathbone/bruce sherlocks. he's very knowlegable about those films and his insights are both amusing and obviously well-researched, delivered by someone who truly loves his sherlock!

i think there are lots of pipesmokers who are infatuated by sherlock holmes, certainly a natural and easy to understand affection.

jr/john

jrtaster":313a27ff said:
scott...it infuriates my wife that i can watch any rathbone/bruce sherlock film two or three times in as many nights. but as you suggest, ya gotta love them. so enjoy it, again.

i have a version of the scarlet claw which contains a voice-over commentary by (they say) a noted holmes historian, who has numerous tidbits about the scarlet claw, which he argues is THE best of the rathbone/bruce sherlocks. he's very knowlegable about those films and his insights are both amusing and obviously well-researched, delivered by someone who truly loves his sherlock!

i think there are lots of pipesmokers who are infatuated by sherlock holmes, certainly a natural and easy to understand affection.

jr/john
Having the Complete Rathbone/Bruce Box Set, I would rate my Top 5 as follows:

1.) The House of Fear
2.) The Scarlet Claw
3.) The Hound of the Baskervilles
4.) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
5.) Terror By Night&Pursuit To Algiers (Tied)

John, have you checked out any of the Rathbone/Bruce radio shows? They are half hour shows done in the 40's and most are just as good as the movies IMO. I believe if you search on www.archive.org in the Audio/Old Time Radio Section, you can find all the existing episodes. By the way, what are your Top 5 Rathbone/Bruce movies?

-Scott

scott,

how interesting your list would be identical to mine...with the exception that i have somehow managed NEVER to have seen
Pursuit to Algiers. I will have to remedy that soon!!

Hound of the Baskervilles was produced by a different studio than the other b/w versions. you can actually "feel" the difference in presentation, tone and production nuances. interesting also that Rathbone was second-billed to Richard Greene, who played Sir Henry. i think that the jeremy brett/edward hardwicke Hound is a tad more fun and is a lot closer to the Conan Doyle book.

thanks for the link to the radio series. i love the radio versions. if you enjoy old-time radio, AM 900 CHML, a Hamilton, Ontario radio station features some great shows from 11 p.m. til 2 a.m. nightly. among them is S. Holmes, but there are others , ranging from the Lone Ranger to the Green Hornet to Amos n' Andy to the Shadow. They stream on-line and you can find the whole schedule on the website.

all the best,

john

jrtaster":swa9qi34 said:
scott,

how interesting your list would be identical to mine...with the exception that i have somehow managed NEVER to have seen
Pursuit to Algiers. I will have to remedy that soon!!

Hound of the Baskervilles was produced by a different studio than the other b/w versions. you can actually "feel" the difference in presentation, tone and production nuances. interesting also that Rathbone was second-billed to Richard Greene, who played Sir Henry. i think that the jeremy brett/edward hardwicke Hound is a tad more fun and is a lot closer to the Conan Doyle book.

thanks for the link to the radio series. i love the radio versions. if you enjoy old-time radio, AM 900 CHML, a Hamilton, Ontario radio station features some great shows from 11 p.m. til 2 a.m. nightly. among them is S. Holmes, but there are others , ranging from the Lone Ranger to the Green Hornet to Amos n' Andy to the Shadow. They stream on-line and you can find the whole schedule on the website.

all the best,

john
Definitely check out the Pursuit To Algiers when you get a chance John. With the exception of The House of Fear, I would have to say that the ending to Algiers is perhaps the most surprising and most interesting twist of all the Rathbone/Bruce flicks. As far as the Hound is concerned, I can't decide if I like the Brett/Hardwicke version or the Rathbone/Bruce flick better. Of course the Jeremy Brett is more faithful to the original, but the Rathbone/Bruce "HOUND" has a certain charm to it that I really love, perhaps because it is black&white. As far as the radio shows go, I am definitely a big fan and an avid collector of all things Holmes OTR. If you can find it, check out the Clive Merrison "Sherlock Holmes" that was recorded in the late 80's to mid 90's. They performed all 60 original "Canon" stories on the radio and went on to do a dozen "original" stories based on suggested from the "Canon". It is IMO the best produced/written Sherlock Holmes series ever done, radio or movies. Check it out and if you can't find it on the web, let me know and I can send the shows to you.

-Scott

I read a fan fiction online some years ago titled "A Pound Of Turkish". I've looked a lot for it since and have not been able to find it.

I've been reading Sherlock Holmes lately, now reading "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb". I like the following line:

"Sherlock Holmes was, as I expected, lounging about his sitting-room in his dressing-gown, reading the agony column of The Times and smoking his before-breakfast pipe, which was composed of all the plugs and dottles left from his smokes of the day before, all carefully dried and collected on the corner of the mantelpiece."

I can just picture it! This is enjoyable reading. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has me back into reading again! Who cares if the grass needs to be cut. It can wait!!!