Favorite VaPer?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PCCA / McClelland Beacon. I have several tins of Beacon and I will always buy more!
This is my favorite VaPer. I have to agree with the other who mentioned Solani 633, it is also a top notch VaPer.

Zombie thread!

For me, 2015 McClelland w/15% added perique is my VaPer of choice. In fact that's the next bowl I'll be having tonight..

Escudo, Sammy G's St James Flake, and C&D Bayou Morning also ring my bells. And they to me are more of "lighter" approach in varying degrees.

MacBaren's HH Acadian Perique also gets an honorable mention in the light and easy category.

Kick it up a notch or three, and GLP Haddos and Cool Hand Fluke (tiltjp) will light up your world.

Cheers,

RR

As someone who has suddenly developed regular tremendous cravings for Dunhill DeLuxe Navy rolls, I'm more and more curious about this "Escudo". I trust it's one of those things unavailable in Europe?

If I had to choose one favorite:
C&B Bayou Morning

Other favorite VaPers are:
DTM St. Bernard, GLP Telegraph Hill, G&H Louisiana Flake, Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls, Peter Heinrichs Curly Block, Motzeks Der 93er (a German local blend).

beetlejazz":x74eka3s said:
As someone who has suddenly developed regular tremendous cravings for Dunhill DeLuxe Navy rolls, I'm more and more curious about this "Escudo". I trust it's one of those things unavailable in Europe?
I’m afraid so. Which is odd, as Escudo is produced by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group in Denmark.
I’m told there is a similar blend called My Own Blend "Big Coin". It is available via the Danish Pipe Shop in Copenhagen. But I haven’t tried it yet.

Escudo and John Patton Cool Hand Fluke, though if I had Solani 633 or Davidoff Flake Medallions on hand I'm sure I would be listing them, too.

A side note, I opened a fresh tin of Escudo in November 2012 and noticed it smelled different. It used to be only that lovely VA/Perique figs and raisins but now though it still has that it also has something else. Tastes the same.

Anders And":4mjzm3kt said:
If I had to choose one favorite:
C&B Bayou Morning
I agree. Bulk, ribbon cut. All day, everyday type of blend.

I'm out, and now want some...bummer.

My favorite is Escudo with Solani 633, SG St James Flake and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls a close second.

Escudo was the blend that made pipe smoking for me. I was coming from being a hard core cigar guy for over 25 years and it was the spicy sweetness of Escudo that made my taste buds crave pipe tobacco. It will always have a special place in my cellar, and I still smoke a lot of it since I first tried it in 2000.

Brewdude":e78ufe6p said:
Zombie thread!
HA HA!

Nonetheless,

1. Long Golden Flake
2. Luxury Bullseye (age makes a big difference with this one) 2 years shows major improvements in flavor.
3. St James Flake
4. Dorchester

beetlejazz":yqk7nme4 said:
jazzy, I'd be more than happy to send a tin your way if you'd pm me with your addy.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":k30wyz1y said:
beetlejazz":k30wyz1y said:
jazzy, I'd be more than happy to send a tin your way if you'd pm me with your addy.

Cheers,

RR
That's very generous of you, RR.

For beginner's level Va/Per blends, Escudo and St. James Flake are my top picks and hard to argue with. Both are solid. A "hybrid" Va/Per blend that is worth the trouble is Haddo's Delight (aged at least a few years). Haddo's has really grown on me in the last year.

Brewdude":xybfx6ir said:
beetlejazz":xybfx6ir said:
That is way generous, mister. I'll PM you.

OGS
PS LBF
PS LNF
Escudo (d'uh)
SG SJF
Filmore? (eh, still trying to dig it)

GLP TP (VaPerBur)

and my king:

Beacon Extra

...based on my experiences..so many more to try...

Just smoked my 1st bowl of Bayou Morning, it has promise but I like 3 Friars better.

VR Blend made for Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club (SHPC) by pipesandcigars.com

Poplar Camp by C&D is a close second

I like Escudo alot and, although it doesn't have much perique, Old Gowrie is also a favorite.

I'm not a big fan of Perique but Orlik's Golden Sliced is one I will smoke. Not a big Perique hit but it does have some "pepper" with the Va sweetness! :p

While I'm unsure if they're universally referred to as "VaPers," Rattray makes the best VA IMO, and of the ones that contain perique, HOTW and MF are the best.