Favourite DJ's and Radio Stations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Came across Cousin Brucie on Sirius playing the 50's and 60's.

It kindled memories...

During the day time, WMEX was always on in Yarmouth, NS (about the only Rock & Roll station we could get day time). The DJ everyone loved was Arnie Ginsburg.

At night time, we could get other stations... a popular one was WABC with Cousin Brucie...

There must have been other popular DJ's and Radio stations across the country.

Or is this going back too far :roll:

Man, I guess I going too far back... You were hip if you had a transister radio. Most radios still had bulbs/tubes and if you dusted them you could see Tom Edison's finger prints from when he installed them.

Guess those days are gone... replaced by WKRP with Dr Johnny Fever and Venus Fly Trap.

Slow Puffs":tobu1r6v said:
Man, I guess I going too far back... You were hip if you had a transister radio. Most radios still had bulbs/tubes and if you dusted them you could see Tom Edison's finger prints from when he installed them.

Guess those days are gone... replaced by WKRP with Dr Johnny Fever and Venus Fly Trap.
Dude, WKRP was 30 years ago. :afro:

Puffs... Your lost... Lol...

Serious my favorite commercial radio voice is this old old old gal that sounds like all the playboy models wrapped up in one woman... I've met her at Christmas partys,Thunder, RiverBats games, etc etc etc... I wish I never had, the voice of a late 50's early 60's woman should not stir the flesh of a young man...:D

BUT.. The idea of tubes or even transistors are way way way over. A modern radio station is a computer,several linears, and an antenna. Commercial Radio folk take care of it, not the DJ's.. Matter of fact most shows don't even have a DJ in the 'booth'.. Sad really.

Now if you long to listen to tube fired radio or even better transmit on tube fired radio.. Go get a Ham ticket.. I'll meet you on 20 meters.

Mine has to be XM Channel 73 now called Spa, (ch. 856 on DirecTV). This was called Audio Visions and found on ch. 77 until 11/12/08 when programming changed. Luckily the format is still the same and compliments calm and contemplative moments with a good briar and favorite tobacco

Lou, NY

Well Slow Puffs, you advised us a while ago, Canada was a bit behind but seemed to catch up eventually,,,,Wait till you hear Wolfman Jack,,,,,

You mean to tell me no one remembers "Woo Woo" Ginsberg?

Time warp > to present day.... I like Charlie Monk on the "Road House" Sirius 62. Please don't tell me he's not real. Charlie knows most of the singers personally and adds a lot nice commentary between songs.

Da "Wolfman Jack" howlin' over 15 Million jigawatts of night time power to every corner of the States. Also, KOMA out of OKC blastin' at night with mega-watts of Doo-Wop Rock-N- Roll!! Those were the days!!! Still the greatest music ever!! :cheers: :D FTRPLT

ftrplt":oayh7pox said:
Da "Wolfman Jack" howlin' over 15 Million jigawatts of night time power to every corner of the States. Also, KOMA out of OKC blastin' at night with mega-watts of Doo-Wop Rock-N- Roll!! Those were the days!!! Still the greatest music ever!! :cheers: :D FTRPLT
I gotta agree, Wolfman Jack was the greatest! Now I like Gary Bombaliki on KD Radio outa Thousand Oaks, CA and Scott Shannon broadcasting the True Oldies from the World Wide Mother Ship. :cheers:

Nowadays, I only listen to two radio stations. WUIS and WILL. University of Illinois at Springfield and University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana. Both Classical public radio stations.

I detest the commercialized crap from the rock stations I used to listen to 20 or more years ago.

Pirate radio,,short wave ,,6955 Khz,,usb,,KOLD if you catch them weekends and holidays ,,,broadcast a lot of old hits ,,,early sixties and boogie woogie,,,,among parodies of Wolfman Jack,and Alan Freed,,,old DJ style format,, lots of cool jive,,,makes ya wanna fire up the 55 chevy and cruise,,,,you hip?

Having made my living in the radio biz for the past 30-plus years, this is interesting to me.

I agree: radio ain't what it used to be. I can remember as a kid listening to the radio at night, and talking with friends the next day at school about what so-and-so DJ did on the air. Radio was a real part of our lives then.

Nowadays, it's all (or mostly) corporate ownership, and very little community involvement. I'm not knocking those who like satellite radio, but to me...radio should be local and it should be fun.

When I first started out in the business, I would listen at night to WLS in Chicago. John Landecker was, to me, one of the greats, and I have to admit I ripped him off quite a bit.

There is a Youtube video of a reunion they did (in fact, I think there are two different ones) called the Big 89 Rewind. Pretty neat to see all those guys do their thing.

I have been a rock jock, a country jock, and for 14 years, a morning news anchor at a big FM in Knoxville. The station I work for now is locally owned, and very dedicated to serving the community. The format is gospel music, but we do a lot of community affairs stuff.

I love radio, but I weep at what it has become.

Mike

I remember John Landecker. :) That was back when I listened at night on my old all band radios. Also, The Charlie Douglas Road Gang out of New Orleans. "Hey, it's King Edward Cigar Time!" :D

Carlos":wj6ass4c said:
I remember John Landecker. :) That was back when I listened at night on my old all band radios. Also, The Charlie Douglas Road Gang out of New Orleans. "Hey, it's King Edward Cigar Time!" :D
That brings back some old memories...WWL, along with WSL. My favorite though of the clear channel stations was WSM with Ralph Emery at the wheel.

Jim

On some nights a few of the local radio stations still play Wolfman Jack shows and i dig 'em baby!

Currently now on K-97, i listen to Alice Cooper at midnight. He runs interesting facts and strange covers. Not bad.

However being a young'un i listen to the satelite radio and love Faction 28 and Siriusly Sinatra... I live for the chairman of the Board Hour and the Nancy for Frank shows.

A quality tuner and speaker system can do things with radio sound that would amaze a modern audiophile. A 16" speaker in a wonderful wood cabinet. The glow of 6" tall tubes. A volume and a tuning knob. The sound would become part of you. The stage was your living room.

Young people today try to replicate that with overly-driven sub-woofers. They don't have a clue to what they are missing.

When I remember tubes I think warm sound and extended bass,,,,lifelike, not cold and harsh,,,,presence,,,,crank it or mellow out, accurate sound either way,,,,same with a guitar amp,,,,tubes make the difference,,,,