Favourite of your hunting rifles

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddler

Reaction score
So what's the favourite of your hunting rifles? Mine is a Ruger no.1 in 375 H&H. Mine has taken warthog, impala, blesbuck, oryx, both blue & black gnu, eland, kudu & red hartebeest in SA, Namibia & Botswana. It's a wonderful rifle & a very versatile calibre.

I guess my answer would be "it depends on what I'm hunting for". For larger game (such as elk) I would say my Savage 300 Win Mag with a Leupold 3x9 scope. Deer and maybe antelope would be my Savage 7mm-08 with a 4x12 scope. Turkey is my 12 guage Mossberg 835.

Having said all that, my dream is to take out one of my model 1885 single shot Buffalo rifles in 45-90 and go elk hunting with it.

I always thought that the Ruger #1 was about the finest rifle one could own and hunt with. But I never owned one. I did have a couple Ruger model 77's. .22-250 and 358 Winchester. But in Illinois, we don't have rifle hunting unless it's varmints. I did hunt deer once with my 45 cal black powder CVA muzzle loader that I built from a kit. Never got a shot at one. Did all my serious deer hunting with a bow.

T/C .54 Renegade, during BP season,,,use a handgun the rest of the time,,,

I love lever actions. My deer rifle and first centerfire was received as a Christmas present from my dad when I was 13 and is my all time favorite: Winchester 1894 30-30. I still use it to hunt whitetails here in Michigan.

My Marlin 39 22lr is probably the most fun rifle to shoot. Very handy.

I've always wanted a Winchester 1895 in .405 like Teddy Roosevelt took on his safari's. Awesome.

My favorite is a Remington Mtn. Rifle in 7-08 for deer/antelope, followed by a Remington stainless 700 in 7 mag for larger deer/caibou , and a Score-Hi Custom Remington lightweight in 338-06 for elk/moose/bear.

Jim

My rifle of choice is a remington 30-06 7600 pump for whitetail,and my 54 cal lyman flintlock,for turkey season i use my single shot 10ga.

I really like my Remington .270. I've tapped a few deer with it, but have been trying to get the coyote that ate my cat the last couple of weeks with it. My rabbit distress call got him in close last Saturday, but he got spooked before I could squeeze one off. Haven't seen him since.

I just got a Gibbs No .7 Carbine in .308win that should make a great brushgun for feral hogs and deer this fall. Leupold has a small 1.5-4x scope that I'm thinking would go with it quite nicely.

I have a sporterized Mauser in 6.5x55 Swedish, Such a wonderful rifle to shoot.

Ataki":xwt27agv said:
LL":xwt27agv said:
Pretty much the answer to any field problem, from squirrels up to elk and brown bear. I never leave home without mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu3BSafGK9I&feature=related
Even grinds the meat for you! The only hard part is collecting it all :D
And cooks it. :lol: But collecting it all is definitely the problem. Well, that and cutting down an acre of forest every couple seconds. Landowners don't seem to care much for that. Otherwise it's my Chorizo Maker Supreme.

Damn but I love good chorizo.

Not too exotic but I would have to say my '46 Marlin 336 in 30-30. If I can hit it with open sights I'm not doing my part. ;)
Hope if I ever have kids one of them can be the 4th generation so make use of the old gal.

I don't have a rifle anymore but ones I would love to get my hands on are as follows

Remington 700 SPS in a 300 ultra mag anything from whitetail all the way to kodiak the lowest powered shell is as strong as the 30-06 the med is as strong as a 300 mag and the highest, lests just say super nasty.

Remington 552 speedmaster, shoots .22 shorts ,longs and long rifles so good for many small varmints

I have a love for lever actions as well but I just cant have one lol

Marlin 336w 30.30 1895G (.45-70) 1845m (.450) 1895 in a 357, 44, and 45 Golden39a(.22) Believe it or not Ithaca made a shotgun that was a single shot that opened with a lever I would like one in each gauge they made.

not a rifle but still a want a Remington 870 super mag combo. That will cover anything I want to hunt in NJ from birds to bears

Muzzleloader would be a CVA buckhorn 209 magnum

Don't get me going on military firearms lol

and for LL's squirrel problem here is what he needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y&NR=1

ruger_13.jpg
[/url][/img]

Right now my favorite would be my 1895 marlin 45-70. it should take care of anything I will run in to. Except the dangerous squirrel. then my favorite would be my marlin 60.
Squirrel-Shark--16467.jpg

squirrel-hunters.jpg

Deer Hunting- 1917 Enfield sporterized 30-06
Ruffed Grouse- 410 single shot
Ducks pheasant - remington 1187 12 guage
squirels etc. ruger 1022 22