FDA now controls tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buck":m7kvbi11 said:
The very last thing big tobacco wanted to happen is now going to.......FDA control of what's put into or on tobacco product along with publishing the ingredients used.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_tobacco_2

In a backhand way this may also backfire on the anti tobacco crowds agenda.
No thanks to your savior (Obama) and his colleagues! :evil:

Bush vetoed similar legislation when he was in office. :D

meh...try not to panic, Righters...i'm sure noone's gonna come take your toys away, least of all the big scary new President.
:roll: :D ;)

BTW, PhillipMorris (oops, thanks HM) is behind this legislation. :darklord:

Yeah, if the FDA approves it, they can't get sued since the .gov would be liable.

Of course, they are also ceding control of their product in the process. :scratch:

Tobacco is either legal or not. Just make the call.

IMO, the .gov has no business controlling the production of a perfectly legal substance. They have a right to control uses of a substance (like illegal use of firearms to kill people for instance), but not the actual legal product.

I believe the issue is the level of nicotine that is added to the product, not good, natural tobacco itself...

am I off on this?

niles":6frlzu0j said:
I believe the issue is the level of nicotine that is added to the product, not good, natural tobacco itself...

am I off on this?
I believe you are exactly correct in this assumption, its been alleged and perhaps proven by now, that not only has the nicotine levels of cigarette been 'enhanced or otherwise played with' other chemicals and substances are put into the cigarette 'recipe' to further enhance what must more properly called a 'nicotine delivery system' rather than a simple cigarette. The goal herein is specifically to alter a 'natural product' into a means of exploiting the addictive nature of nicotine to control the consumer for profit, and attempt to defend against any legislation and/or regulation of same.

I'm not going to bother to cite here, as this should be by now pretty common knowledge and something one can easily look up for oneself, should one be so inclined.

uh...yes, anybody who puts a cigarrette in their mouth should read that...I feel lucky that I've never really had the craving...

Thanks for the head-clearing link, EJ!

If the FDA makes big tobacco list the ingredients in cigarettes maybe we'll get some new pipe brothers once people see all the cancer causing chemicals in ciggies! :affraid:

I dunno; if those "Smoking causes death"
labels don't get their attention, I'm not sure
some hard to pronounce chemicals will do it.

Hermit":9sqkwjse said:
I agree, I think people are going to smoke what they want no matter what. Just like I still eat doughnuts even though I know they are bad for me. I'm frequently around construction sites where 80-90% of the workers smoke cigarettes (it seems), the only thing they look for is whether it says Camel, Marlboro, or Winston lights. If they start sticking labels and crap all over the packs most won't even notice. If they stick a loose sheet in there, it'll just add to the litter problem. The anti's want to ban tobacco use outright and those with a little sense know that a prohibition era blackmarket would take over. I'm guessing the comprimise will be to stick the big ol labels like they do in the EC and keep adding 'sin' taxes. Meanwhile you and me pay the price.

EJinVA":vlffvv8b said:
Hermit":vlffvv8b said:
I agree, I think people are going to smoke what they want no matter what. Just like I still eat doughnuts even though I know they are bad for me. I'm frequently around construction sites where 80-90% of the workers smoke cigarettes (it seems), the only thing they look for is whether it says Camel, Marlboro, or Winston lights. If they start sticking labels and crap all over the packs most won't even notice. If they stick a loose sheet in there, it'll just add to the litter problem. The anti's want to ban tobacco use outright and those with a little sense know that a prohibition era blackmarket would take over. I'm guessing the comprimise will be to stick the big ol labels like they do in the EC and keep adding 'sin' taxes. Meanwhile you and me pay the price.

Yes, all the print on the ciggie package becomes white noise after awhile then people ignore it all. That said, some will read the package and look around for an alternative
way to enjoy tobacco.

I'm getting a new tattoo...

...right on my forehead...

"Life Causes Death"

niles":occk4nsz said:

"Life Causes Death"
Good one!
or maybe we should tattoo all new born children:
NO WARRENTIES OR GUARANTEES IMPLIED.

EJinVA":ji38n0zn said:
niles":ji38n0zn said:

"Life Causes Death"
Good one!
or maybe we should tattoo all new born children:
NO WARRENTIES OR GUARANTEES IMPLIED.
Life Ain't Fair

If they start sticking labels and crap all over the packs most won't even notice. If they stick a loose sheet in there, it'll just add to the litter problem.
Yep. Canada is a "world leader" in cigarette packaging. And our rates of smoking are hovering around 20%...same as the rest of the industrialized world.

Hmmm...

Is it a good time, or a bad time to be a tobacco farmer right now? Does anyone know?

Thanks, HM -

“You know, here we were, we needed a plow,” Randy Vaughn said. “TJ had never hardly even seen a plow.”
“Boys don’t know how to plow,” Barbre said.
“I do now,” TJ Vaughn said, laughing.
...that's heartwarming...and then there's this:

“Somebody is going to grow it,” Barbre said. “I guess being an American you maybe feel a little better that it’s being exported.”
He's referring there to the revelation that statistics regarding smoking and health-issues suggest a direct link between smoking cigarettes and death from smoking related health problems.

Sobering, no?