Few more new smoker questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deor

Reaction score
I have two questions...First, When i am smoking i seem to be getting alot of saliva building up around where i have my pipe and have to take the pipe out and wipe my mouth. i don't think that is normal and was wondering if anyone could tell me what i'm doing wrong or how to remedy this problem. Second, I have been told that you should have a pipe for each blend you smoke so that you don't mix the flavors in the pipe. Is this true? i have one pipe at the moment and don't have that luxury. Would it be ok to only smoke one type (i.e. only english blends in one pipe)? Thanks for any advice, and also thanks already for all the help you guys have given me so far. Its really good to have people helping you out w/ this hobby when you are first starting out.

Ben

When you very first start smoking a pipe you naturally produce a large amount of saliva from having something in your mouth. Your body will get use to it and the saliva production will decrease. I have noticed this when I lay off the pipe a long time and then come back to it.

As for dedicating pipes, the general rule of thumb is to eventually have enough pipes to dedicate like blends to certain pipes i.e., English blends in certain pipes and VA/Vaper blends in others. And still others for certain aromatics. That does not necessarily mean that you will ruin the one pipe that you have but it will confuse it. by smoking diferent style blends in one pipe you don't experience the full flavor of a particular style blend because it could be "ghosted" by the other style blends that you have been smoking in it. This can also confuse your palette and its ability to get the full taste of the blend.

Ben, if you are in the same category as most of us, you won't have the luxury at first to 'dedicate' pipes to a particular blend. As J.P. said, some tobacs 'ghost' a pipe to a larger degree than others. My short exposure to this hobby, about 6 months, seems to point to the really heavy aromatics and latakia blends. On the up side, I have found that if I give a particular tobacco more than a one or two pipe chance, I may very well change my mind about what I think of it, and if it does't gag me or make me get rid of dinner, I will give it a couple three days. As your collection grows, may-haps along with SHMBO'd ire, all this becomes much easier. At least thats my very humble exp. and opinion. Hope this is helpful. Oh yeah, ya might conider a meerschaum as your second addition, won't smoke as cool or sweet as a well broken in briar IMHO, but as many member's have said, you can smoke the heck out of it without burning it up. Just make sure you heed the cleaning and care pointers. :bounce:

Bd

Never Forget!