Fibber gets a new pipe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PD, those old radio shows are outstanding! Thanks for posting it for us.

I use to buy the recordings of them. That was a time when folks imaginations were truly stimulated. "The Shadow Knows"................ :D

I gotta give credit to a fellow over on SF who posted about this episode, I'm just passing it on. Ol Fibber got a free pipe with a 3 pound purchase of Old Mustard Mouth tobacco and has a heck of a time trying to smoke the thing. He wants so badly to be a suave pipe smoker but it gets the better of him :lol:

Classic!

My third-grade teacher used to refer to my (always cluttered) desk as "Fibber McGee's Closet." I had to ask my folks about what that meant... it was very accurate when I learned.

I enjoy the Old Radio Programs and have hundreds down loaded to my mp3 player and listen to them when I go to bed at night with ear buds (drowns out the snoring of the person next to me), missed this one though... It's great.

Most programs depict cigar smoking. There are lots of advertisements though... the Red Skelton show was sponsored by Raleigh and Sir Walter Raleigh's pipe tobacco is often adverstised.

The only pipe reference I came across was in a newscast during world war two, where some high up official in the US sent Stalin some pipes and pipe tobacco as a good will jesture. It didn't mention brands but it was part of the newscast in the war-reporting years of world war two.

Slow Puffs":a3s3quj2 said:
... down loaded to my mp3 player and listen to them when I go to bed at night with ear buds
I do the same thing, but I do it because I cannot fall asleep in a silent room, I'll lay there for an hour or more trying to fall asleep. If there's a TV or radio on I'm usually out in a few minutes, but it keeps my wife awake. The ipod and earbuds works perfectly and we're both happy. I have several podcasts loaded on my ipod and listen every night - often it takes a couple nights to get through a podcast because I fall asleep :lol: I listen to the Dogwatch Social Club (a weekly cigar podcast), Oom paul (pipe smokers podcast), Resonant Frequency, Practical Amateur radio and This Week in Amateur radio (Ham radio podcasts), A Prairie Home Companion and a really goofy trucking podcast called The Trucker Two Times show.