Fifth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
By popular demand I have elected to start the pass about a month earlier than previous "Spring Forward" passes. The biggest reason (other than wishing that spring would get here early) is so that a summer or fall pass can happen on the board without this one interfering with it. Only a few things have been changed from other passes, hopefully everyone thinks they are improvements. I have also elected to have the box on BOB instead of Knox this year. If you know of anyone that has remained on Knox who likes to participate in the pass please let them know where we are at. Everyone will be allowed to keep the box for at least six days, no matter when it is delivered to your house. I am also stressing the point that it is perfectly acceptable and encouraged to take a bowl or two of a blend that is in the box to try at a later date. I have also increased the total number of players from 20 to 25. This allows both new people in on the pass along with us "old" grizzled farts who also like being in on a pass.

The biggest change this year is that there will be two boxes. One box will start West of the Mississippi and the other will be starting East of the Mississippi. I am doing this for two reasons. The first is hopefully the box(s) (BAB’s) will not get as big as previous years where you need a crane to lift it. Second is that everyone will get to see at least one of the boxes sooner. If you think this could be a financial hindrance due to postage please let me know and I am sure something can be worked out. Also, do not feel obligated that you need to trade, etc. with each box. There is nothing wrong with just sampling on either box (or both). After much discussion I’ve decided that each box will be of mixed blends.

One last thing. If there is a blend or type of blend you would like to try please include the name in your email and when posting here. If I don't have it maybe someone else who is participating does and will include it in the box when it gets around to them. So without further ado, here is the official announcement.

Brothers and Sisters of the Briar. It is that time of year again to wish spring would hurry up and get here and for the "Spring Forward Box Pass". This will be the fifth "Spring Forward" pass that I have put together. We have always had a good turn out and fun has been had by all. So get those fuzzy slippers out and sign up. I encourage all new Brothers and Sisters of the Briar who have never participated in a pass to sign up. It is a great way to test out new blends and trade for blends that you might like. For all of you who have participated in years past I also encourage you to sign up again. In the next couple of days I will be posting some of the blends and tins I will be putting in the box.

PLEASE read and understand the following parameters BEFORE signing up for this box pass. I’m sure there are some folks who have never been in a box pass before, so if those of you who are old hands at this would please just bear with me, I’ll clearly outline the “rules” of this pass. If you have any questions or want some kind of clarification, please email me at: mmillersprint03 "at" earthlink.net.

--This pass will be limited to 25 participants or the cutoff time of 6:00PM Sunday February 10th, 2008, whichever comes first, first come first served! This means the Box will leave me no later than February 20th, 2008. If 25 folks sign up before then I'll start it out sooner. There will be no exceptions made to the deadline or the limit. If you do not understand the concept behind a box pass, please e-mail me for an explanation BEFORE signing up for this pass. Sign up requirements are at the end of this post.

--This pass is open to USA Residents ONLY! We have many brethren across the borders that we’d love to have participate in this pass, but issues with Customs makes this impractical, at best. Our apologies to those Brethren of the Briar outside the USA.

--Each participant can keep the Box for a maximum of six days, if you want to ship it sooner you can. Hopefully this will give you longer to sample the goodies. Feel free to sample from the open tins and from the bulk tobaccos (but, please be sure to reseal the baggies that contain them once you are done…thanks!). All that is asked in exchange for this is that you leave something in the box for others to sample. If you would like to take a couple of bowl full’s of the bulk or open tins to sample at a later time please feel free to do so. While this is fun, please remember that your fellow Brethren further down the list from you are anxiously awaiting the box’s arrival. Uncalled for delays spoil the fun! If an unforeseen emergency comes up that you cannot get the box out within the six days please let me know so other arrangements or adjustments can be made. Everyone realizes that things do happen.

--When shipping the box to the next participant the use of Priority Mail service with Delivery Confirmation is required. Shipping via UPS is also acceptable. A word of caution, from past experience. The box postage usually runs between $10 and $16 due to its size and weight. I try and set up the order so that the box has the least amount of travel between participants as possible. If you are a new participant and funds are limited please let me know when signing up and I "might" be able to help. It is also perfectly acceptable to have a "hand off" with a fellow "BOB" if you live close by. It's a great excuse to meet up with friends and share a bowl or two from the box.

--If the box is beginning to show some wear and tear, please replace it with a new box. "It can make it one more time" thinking in the past has resulted in items being lost due to the box failing while in the shipping company’s hands.

--Puts and Takes should be of like kind of items in the box. If you take a sealed tin, replace it with a sealed tin. If you take a partial tin, replace it with a partial tin. The only caveat is that sealed tins can be used to replace any tobacco in the box. Partial tins in this box will be individually placed in Ziploc bags, so please be courteous and place your partial tins going into the box in Ziploc's as well (this is to insure that they do not dry out).
--Bulk tobaccos in the Box are mainly for sampling. If you have a favorite bulk you would like to share with the Folks following you feel free to add it to the goodies. Just be sure to Ziploc the tobacco and make sure it has a readable label. If you would like to take a couple of bowl full’s of the bulk to sample at a later time please feel free to do so. If you only have "bulk" type blends available in your area to purchase for trading let me know and I am sure we can work something out.

--Tobacco used for Puts into the box should be of good quality and should be blends that you would like others to try. This is not a disposal service; it is an opportunity to sample and trade for some tobaccos you may not have had the chance to smoke and to give your fellow Brethren of the Briar a chance to try some tobaccos they may not have tried before.

--Please, no glass containers. One word—breakage! ‘Nuff said!

--Puts and Takes should be notated on the list enclosed in the box. Additionally, all puts and takes should be posted to this thread of the bulletin board. Remember: That’s part of the fun of participating in a box pass is watching the thing play out on the board!

--There are a few pipes in the box. Feel free to take them without replacing them. Hopefully this will give Folks new to pipe smoking a chance to increase their pipe rotation.

--Due to past experiences, I find it necessary to include the following statement: Inclusion in this box pass is purely at my discretion--I reserve the right to refuse anyone. As a side note. The only time this has happened was people who asked to be included “after” the box had already started to make the rounds.

--The ONLY person who is allowed to change ANY of the Box Pass rules is myself.

--The vast majority of all proceeds from the Box Pass are used for care packages to fellow BOB’s and/or care packages to our Enlisted Men and Women serving overseas.

This is easy. Send an email to mikem (Mike Miller) at mmillersprint03 "at" earthlink.net with the following information (in the following order, please):

--BB handle (if you have more than one, please include the one you use most often)
--Name
--Address
--email address
--Phone number (only to be used as a last resort for contact and will not be included in box list)

I will send you a confirming email letting you know that you are in the pass. If there are more than 25 people who sign up, I will use the time stamp on the emails I receive to determine the cut-off point.

I'll be posting a list of the goodies that will be in the Box in the next couple of days so be on the lookout.

Regards

Mike Miller (mikem/mdmiller5)

From previous posts these are the people who I assume want in this years box pass so far. Please send me an updated address and phone number (only to be kept by me, and will not be given out).

Tony Ferrill (confirmed)
JHuggett (confirmed)
Carlos (confirmed)
Pipetongue1 (confirmed)
Puff Daddy (confirmed)
Jeepernick (confirmed)
D.J.Perry (confirmed)
Ego Archive (confirmed)
Tin Man (confirmed)
Thomas James (aka TJ) (confirmed)
Just Pipes (confirmed)
Mikem (confirmed)
Eggman (confirmed)
Bigsmoker (confirmed) 27 Jan 08
cigargod (confirmed) 27 Jan 08
Mr. Houston (confirmed) 28 Jan 08
Lewtang (confirmed) 28 Jan 08
MidnightBlues (confirmed) 29 Jan 08
J_Rock (confirmed) 01 Feb 08

With my brains (idea) and TJ's doing the leg work for me we have a real treat this year for the box pass. Mr. Greg Pease will be letting us sample some of his new blends (just released or to be released). I received the following note from Greg.

"Hi Mike,

I've put a little package in the post to you for the box pass. It's got 120g of the soon to be released Maltese Falcon, 4oz of my prototype Maduro Cut Cake, which will find its way to market later this year, and a 2oz tin of Embarcadero. I hope this brings some pleasure to the participants!

Maltese Falcon is a smooth, rich English mixture. It's really a lovely blend, and will be released late this month. The Maduro Cut Cake is a blend of Latakia, VAs, orientals and cigar leaf, pressed and aged in cakes, and sliced. It's luscious stuff. The Embarcadero is, by now, well known, but someone who hasn't tried it may enjoy the opportunity to try a sample.

I figured I'd provide enough for 20 or so members to have a couple bowls of the two prototypes.

Regards,
Greg"

I promised that you guys would not let me down and post your thoughts/reviews on this thread concerning the Maltese Falcon and Maduro Cut Cake. These blends are for sampling only, no trading. I want everyone in the pass to be able to try out these fine blends.

I have also added the below listed tins for trading purposes (to be split between the two boxes), with more to be added:

C&D Purple Cow
C&D Sunset Harbor Flake
C&D Star of the East Flake
McClelland Grand Orientals Katerini Classic
Wessex Burley Slice
Wessex Red Virginia Flake
Ashton Winding Road
Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake

Also Ol'Dawg has once again graciously offered to donate a couple of blends to the box. More on that later.

Mike,

e-mail sent

WAHOO FOR GREG PEASE!!!!!

A CHANCE TO SAMPLE MALTESE FALCON AND MADURO CUT CAKE IS NOT TO BE PASSED.

MALTESE FALCON WILL BE A MAINSTAY FOR LATAKIA LOVERS.

MADURO CUT CAKE IS A NOUVEAU CLASSIC THE EQUIVALENT OF BALKAN SOBRANIE VIRGINIA #10 OF YORE.

EMBARCADERO SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

Information sent...

Wow, that is cool news about Greg's generous donation. Thanks Greg!

Great job on setting it up Mike.

TJ :king:

Can't Wait!

information sent ------ check your spam folder :)

mmmmmmm..................Maduro Cut Cake! :pipe: :pipe: :pipe:

Hey Mike E-mail sent.

Hey Mike e-mail sent again. I guess I can't read very well because I kept missppelling your e-mail address. I hope the thrid time is the charm.

Really looking forward to this year's festifities Mike!

G'yde Up,Up!

Dock
:pipe:

Alright I am confirmed........cool. Mike this looks like it is going to be great pass again this year. :drunken:
Hey Jeepernick if we end up being next to each other in line in the pass maybe we can work a hand off of the box. I cant remeber exactly where you are at but if I remember right you are in western Ky. I am in western TN in Union City. Its just a thought.

:scratch:

Eggman,

I'm not quite that far west. Looking at a map a half way point would probably be around Calvert City, KY. We can see how timing works out. A hand off might be a possibility.

Nick

This Eggman/Jeepernick thing sounds a bit fishy. Could they trade each other from the two boxes? Is pb/Bubba in the deal?

We're being :bounce: here.

:king:

Jeep I thought we were closer than that. But still that is still only about a hour away. Just have to see how things work out. and we may not even be next to each other in the pass.

Nothing fishy here TJ. Just trying to plan ahead alittle bit.

Egg to Jeep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll trade ya all o my Maltese Falcon for all of yo Maduro Cut Cake.

BRILLANT!

Naw I'm not in TJ,
I only did it last year cause I promised. Working on the road I don't get to enjoy it the way I'd like. It turns into turning down loads so I can get home and get it and then having to have the Mrs ship it out for me so I can get back to work.

Great fun for everyone that can participate, get in while the gettings good fellers.

I just received a box in the mail from Ol'Dawg. The smells coming from the box are something else. He has donated for your sampling pleasure some large tins of Peter Heinrich's blend #169 (full bodied English, broad cut Virginia, Oriental and Syrian Latakia), blend # 312 (brown Virginia, Curly Cut, Navy Rum, old fashioned rich flavor), Samuel Gawith's Firedance Flake, and last but not least some Edward's Bishop Burley that smells very good in the bag. I just might have to try a bowl of this before the box is shipped out.

Thank you once again Ol'Dawg for allowing us to give these blends a try. I know on the last pass the Peter Heinrich's blends were very popular.

Thanks for the invitation Mike. I had only been to this site once and was glad to know where everyone was posting. I've got some great blends to share and many from you list I want to try.

Email sent with information.