fills

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denholrl

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I would rather see fissures than fills. I collected Ed Burak's Connoisseur pipes for a lot of years. He never filled fissures or sand pits. I agree with his point of view that these elements are part of the natural wood and should not be disguised. (He also never stained his pipes.)

Rob D

denholrl":kiq8dhdb said:
I would rather see fissures than fills.  I collected Ed Burak's Connoisseur pipes for a lot of years.  He never filled fissures or sand pits.  I agree with his point of view that these elements are part of the natural wood and should not be disguised.  (He also never stained his pipes.)

Rob D

Aye mate I concur. It's a natural part of the briar and are to me what beauty marks are on a beautiful woman - never to be concealed by makeup.

:cyclops:

Cheers,

RR

I have a good pipe buddy who appreciates Peterson's Irish Seconds. When he get a shape he likes that is filled (as they all are), he picks out the putty!

Rob D

I wholeheartedly agree on the "no fills!!" Sand pits and natural fissures are fine by me. What you say?? A Peterson with a fill!! :shock: How unusual :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

That's an easy question. I've been reading this question on pipe boards since the beginning and I don't think I've ever read that someone would rather have a fill than a pit. What's harder and what's been the sore spot in the hobby has been, does a glue and sawdust "stabilization" in a small sand speck count if you can't see it? Would your answer change if you were dealing with a $400, $800 or much higher end pipe? :shock:

I wholeheartedly agree with the position that small pits are a natural result of how Briar grows and shouldn’t be hidden.

Although, I have toyed with the idea of filling larger fissures with black Ebony dust and CA glue. This leaves a smooth surface, but doesn’t hide the flaw. It sort of makes a feature out of the flaw.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Todd

taharris":t79luskt said:
I wholeheartedly agree with the position that small pits are a natural result of how Briar grows and shouldn’t be hidden.

Although, I have toyed with the idea of filling larger fissures with black Ebony dust and CA glue.  This leaves a smooth surface, but doesn’t hide the flaw.  It sort of makes a feature out of the flaw.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Todd
Have you a pic of this Todd?

Cheers,

RR

210606.jpeg
[/img]

Here is a quick in process of a pipe that I did a while ago.  

I did not finish the pipe as a smooth.  I was just playing around with the technique.

Todd

I believe there is a similar concept in Japan: a treasured piece of pottery that has broken is repairs with gold to celebrate rather than deny the flaws.

Just recently bought a refurbished pipe, a GBD Rhodesian.  In the description by the seller, "no flaws detected" was noted.  I bought the pipe.  Upon examination I quickly located a putty fill near the bottom-side of the bowl.  I "detected" the "flaw"  within a few seconds, and the refurbisher never noticed the fill as the pipe was being buffed.  OK.

I kept the pipe, but would have preferred to know about the fill BEFORE the purchase.  Fills, pits, putty, cracks, if disguised should be noted by sellers.  But, some pipe-makers and pipe-owners  view these imperfections differently.

A perfect, straight-grain, in my mind, means "perfect"....zero, zip, nada.... flaws, fills, cracks, etc.

Frank