Filter vs Non Filter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free_byrd15

Reaction score
Just a little poll/discussion/information topic here

1.) Which do you smoke, a filter or non filter pipe?
2.) Which do you prefer?
3.) What are the pros to smoking a filtered pipe?
4.) What are the cons to smoking a filtered pipe?
5.) Does a filtered pipe smoke any different than a non-filtered pipe?
6.) Are most high end pipes filter or non filter pipes?

Thanks!

I'm sure you will get a bunch of opinions on this one. Here is my view on the topics, your mileage may vary as they say.

Mainly non-filtered pipes. I have a few Vauen's (Germany, 9mm filter charcoal and paper) of which two of them are in the $250 range, Brigham's (Canada, maple wood tubes), and Savinelli's (Italy, balsa wood).

2.) Which do you prefer?

I like the Vauen and Brigham pipes with the filters but detest the balsa wood filters in the Savinelli's. I also take the filters out of the few cobs that I have. Probably 90% of my pipes are non-filtered. Having a filter has never stopped me from buying a pipe if I liked the shape, etc.

I think they are very good when smoking some of the wetter aromatics. Think they are a waste of time on English and Virginia blends.

They can mute the taste of some blends IMHO. I hate changing the balsa wood filters because they get so goopy.

The biggest thing I would say is that they can mute the taste somewhat on some type of blends. I think they can give a "dryer" smoke on some aromatics that tend to smoke wet.

I would say most are non-filtered pipes. I have heard that some European carvers would make the pipe with a 9mm filter if requested but have not personally seen any.

free_byrd15":brwlbpgi said:
All of my pipes used for outdoor smoking are filtered. Indoor pipes are mostly non-filtered.

2.) Which do you prefer?
Most of my smoking is done outside. :D

The reason I use them is to cut down on excess moisture thus negating the need for caring pipe cleaners.

Changing the filters/extra cost.

Generally not.

Non-filtered, though many high end makers produce filtered pipes, especially those from Germany.

Jim

I have only one filtered pipe, a Big Ben briar/ meerschaum calabash,,,I use 9mm meerschaum filters,,,smoke mainly aromatics in it,,,it soaks up the moisture,,,,I change the filter every smoke,,,,I don't notice any difference in taste,flavor or aroma,,,it just smokes a lot drier,,,,,maybe the pipe draw is a little bit constricted but not enough to complain about,,,you can always smoke them without the filter,,,some pipes furnish an adapter to replace the filter if you don't like it,,,

I think the medico filters in the corncobs are useless,,,,but I was wrong once before,,,a long long time ago,,,,,with no witnesses,,,and I never told anybody about it until now,,,,,OK,,,I'll fess up,,I thought I made a mistake but I was wrong,,,,,

free_byrd15":tvue21ip said:

2.) Which do you prefer?

Thanks!
1. Non filter
2. Non filter
3. Uh, they filter?
4. Condensation collects around the filter or in the larger airway in the tenon or around the filter adaptor that is placed where a filter would go, if you used one in the filter pipe. Instead of the adaptor thingie. <g>
5. See 4, above
6. Most, if not all American made high ends are non filtered. The Europeans are divided on this. <g>

-bw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both. When I use a filter, I smoke both Grabows (charcoal filters) and Savs (Balsa).

2.) Which do you prefer? Depends on the tobacco. Va/Pers and some Balkans go in unfiltered pipes or sometimes the Savs. Burleys and the occasional aromatic go in the Grabows. On rare occasions I'll also smoke Balkans in a Grabow, but only when my tongue feels fried.

3.) What are the pros to smoking a filtered pipe? Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that both kinds of filter help with tongue irritation. I don't find that the balsa filters affect flavor in any way. The charcoal (or paper, if you're so inclined) filters I used in my three Grabows tend to mute the flavor and smooth out rough blends. When I smoke a blend that's subtle or complex, however, I avoid the Grabows.

4.) What are the cons to smoking a filtered pipe? It's an extra hassle and expense.

5.) Does a filtered pipe smoke any different than a non-filtered pipe? I can tell no difference between non-filters and balsa filters. There is definitely a harder draw from the Grabows, but it's not enough to be (for me) a problem.

6.) Are most high end pipes filter or non filter pipes? Most high-end pipes are non-filtered, in my experience.