Filtered pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I do not like smoking pipes with filters, not even cobs.

There is one exception though; my one and only Sav Dry System

I love smoking this pipe with a Sav balsawood filter inserted. The smoke is dry, smooth tasting and the pipe stays dry. No need for a pipe cleaner after finishing a good bowl full of tobacco. And it really does not effect the taste of the tobacco.

What do the brothers think about this pipe please?

I have not had the pleasure of trying a pipe with the Sav dry system. I don't use filters generally. I do use them on my cobs though, because I have some. I haven't noticed any difference. I do like my Peterson system pipes, though as they smoke dry. I find that sipping and tamping keep the gurgle at bay. I would love to try a Sav balsa wood filter sometime, but it isn't a priority.

I don't use filters, even in my Savinelli Dry System pipe (which is a very good smoker). I just don't find them necessary. YMMV, etc.

I have NO use for a miniature ladies hygienic thingie in my pipe or any pipe.
I Hate Filtered Pipes period, no pun intended!  :suspect:

I've tried the Sav balsa thingy and found it to be shall we say, totally unnecessary and in fact restricted the draw. I modified it by reducing the length where necessary and shaving off the points on the triangle. No joy!

This was on an inexpensive 316, and it smokes all the better without it. So can't see the advantage. Perhaps it has more to do with the choice of 'baccy than the pipe, but it's never smoked better without it.

YMMV

Cheers,

RR

Once in a great while I use a filter in my cobs, but I always use the balsa filter in my Sav. No restrictions with the pipe and it does suck up a good bit of moisture. My BoB 2013 POY Brigham pipe with the rock maple insert works great, the draw on this pipe is a little on the tight side though.

I see your point. Im personally indifferent to them, especially considering that all i need is an insert to avoid using a filter. I do however appreciate their usage for certain tobacco blends, the ones that get droopy halfway through.
I enjoy my aromatics much more with them, I wouldnt dare however to use them when smoking English blends!

Clay":w9x2g0dg said:
but I always use the balsa filter in my Sav. No restrictions with the pipe and it does suck up a good bit of moisture.
Yes, I agree, I don't even know I've inserted the filter.

SpeedyPete":2eqkte3z said:
Clay":2eqkte3z said:
but I always use the balsa filter in my Sav. No restrictions with the pipe and it does suck up a good bit of moisture.
Yes, I agree, I don't even know I've inserted the filter.  
I generally think the 6mm balsa filter doesn't restrict draft too much either but I'm a pipe cleaner guy so it's a deal breaker. I recently got some Sav's with 9mm filters and I thought they were more restrictive when I drew on them. Full disclosure: I drew on the pipe with no tobacco in the chamber and just a couple times before I decided to pull the filters. I have smoked not one bowl with the 9mm balsa filter in.

Years ago I tried both kind, the tube Medico's and the balsa Italian/European type. Didn't like the paper tubes and found that the balsa didn't really effect much for me. I never have and still don't smoke much in the way of traditional Aro's so this may be the reason as my 'bac's don't really smoke all that wet !! So I've gone filterless since !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

I sometimes wonder if pulling the stem to use a cleaner and replace the balsa will prematurely loosen the fit. I haven't tried the insert yet. The rock maple insert seems more of a moisture suckered upper than anything else.  Without the insert there is still a tighter draw than my other pipes. I like them both, just not to fond of the paper ones. All my other pipes are non filters.

Clay":5nm2ef95 said:
I sometimes wonder if pulling the stem to use a cleaner and replace the balsa will prematurely loosen the fit. I haven't tried the insert yet. The rock maple insert seems more of a moisture suckered upper than anything else.  Without the insert there is still a tighter draw than my other pipes. I like them both, just not to fond of the paper ones. All my other pipes are non filters.
On my Savinellis that were meant for the balsa "filters' I've never used the inserts and they smoke just fine without it IMHO.  :twisted: 

monbla256":inm5qfqz said:
Clay":inm5qfqz said:
On my Savinellis that were meant for the balsa "filters' I've never used the inserts and they smoke just fine without it IMHO.  :twisted: 
This for me.

And then again the blends I smoke aren't really known for being too wet, and when they do arrive on the moist side I dry them a bit first anyway.

Cheers,

RR

I have more Savs than pipes from any other manufacturer (except MM cobs), and I love each and every one of them. They all use the balsa inserts, and the filters are one of the main reasons I love them so much. I don't understand how some people feel they restrict the draw -- I can detect no difference whatsoever. The filters help keep the smoke "dry," but most importantly they seem to curb tongue bite (which is a HUGE issue with me). I've experimented with them a lot over the years, and it's clear that -- for me at least -- a balsa filter reduces tongue irritation a great deal. I understand that they might not work for everyone, so YMMV.