Finally: Comoy's 256 Author

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
I've searched for this one for nearly seven years. A few 2nd's line shape 256 pipes were listed last year, and they ended up going for only slightly less than this real deal, a 1920s to 1938 "Old Bruyere finish pipe.

The bowl is solid, so this one will get regular (but careful) use.

Full restoration pix are at the Reborn Pipes link:
https://rebornpipes.com/2017/05/13/finally-comoys-old-bruyere-256-restoration/

Before:

comoys_256_old_bruyere_before-1.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_before-4.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_before-2.jpg

Finished:

comoys_256_old_bruyere_finish-1.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_finish-2.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_finish-3.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_finish-4.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_finish-6.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_finish-7.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_finish-9.jpg

comoys_256_old_bruyere_finish-10.jpg

Beautiful work on that one, Al. The lines really stand out to me! Impressive!

Thought you already had one of those, Al. How many chubby rhody shapes by Comoy's are there? Or am I confusing them with GBDs?

Richard Burley":wih9vsma said:
Thought you already had one of those, Al. How many chubby rhody shapes by Comoy's are there? Or am I confusing them with GBDs?
I've found most of the British make Rhodesian chubbies, but the 256 Comoy's was the most difficult.

The others:

499 Extraordinaire

498 Extraordinaire

284 Tradition

440 Tradition (number changed from 283)

From GBD:

The 9242

and 9438 Virgin

Peterson 999 (Sterling)

Sasieni (Four Dot Rustic)

The 499 was the one I was thinking of. Either you, Greg Pease, or somebody else has one. Thanks. (Your response should be a sticky somewhere, I'm thinkin'.)

Richard Burley":oi2qs7ep said:
The 499 was the one I was thinking of. Either you, Greg Pease, or somebody else has one. Thanks. (Your response should be a sticky somewhere, I'm thinkin'.)
The 499 was the first pipe on my "Holy Grail" list. It's actually a bit too large for my preference, but I'll never get rid of it.

Your taste is much in line with mine Al. I do love those shapes and frequently ask myself why I don't have more of them. And your restoration is spot on as always.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":jha7ns0i said:
Your taste is much in line with mine Al. I do love those shapes and frequently ask myself why I don't have more of them. And your restoration is spot on as always.

8)

Cheers,

RR
Thanks, I'm usually pretty confident going into most restorations, but I was a bit nervous doing this one. One drop, or catch with the buffing wheel would have been a disaster, this one is pretty much irreplaceable.

I smoked it this morning, with some MM965 of course. It smoked great, no ghosting, so my cleaning diligence paid off.