Finally...... (free download added)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so I've been hinting around with respect to my latest musical adventure for some time - for those of you who have been around a while and have kept notice of these things.

I've made mention of it in numerous threads, and on the music sub-forum went so bold as to post a thread entitled "How many of you actually listen to music anymore", with the intention to see if actually involving yourself with the music was important, or if one regarded it as a background.

No right or wrong  answers here, btw. We all approach music differently and I've long come to accept that.

Happily, the consensus is overwhelmingly in favor of music for music sake. At least from this little unofficial public poll of BoB'ers. This gives me hope.

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t30301-how-many-of-you-actually-listen-to-music-anymore

So, that said.....

This adventure is finally ready after 4 years and I'd like to to share it with those that might appreciate it.

I'm making a number of copies available here on BoB for those that would like to have them totally gratis....

That's right, no obligation on your part. And I hasten to add that I expect or ask for nothing in return. Please don't feel obligated to send me something. No pipe weed or anything.

It's a free gift, no reciprocation is required, and it's just something that I'm happy to do to in exchange for all your kind and generous exchanges on the board.

Beyond that, I don't want to give away the subject or story line here right now. Suffice to say this is an adventure, and compelling in many ways. If you value music I'd love to share this with you. I don't have any clips for you to sample and I have yet to get it up on my website for free downloading.

So........

If you'd like to receive this please pm me with your address. I'll do my best to get it out early this next week.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do right now!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Right, so I haven't provided a clue as to what kind of music this is so I'll rectify that.

Unlike my previous acoustic flights of fancy, this one is all electric. I've re-visited my roots on this one with a variety of styles which basically represent how I came up on 6-str.

Starting with instrumental compositions from the early-mid 60's, through AM pop into heavier rock as the years progressed, electric blues oriented rock, and a move into Fusion and R&B horn bands. The emphasis is on hard driving R&R with a sprinkling of pop from the era I developed in initially (60's -70's). So that'll give you an idea of the content.

It's a big project with a story line - 4 discs/43 original tunes. Yes I still make those funny little round things as I'm old school and would still be cutting vinyl otherwise! A living anachronism you might say!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Sounds like you put a lot of hard work into this BD and I hope your successful and are able to keep doing what you love. And I'm always interested in hearing your music sir. ;)

Cartaphilus":5iukzf1l said:
Sounds like you put a lot of hard work into this BD and I hope your successful and are able to keep doing what you love. And I'm always interested in hearing your music sir. ;)

Gotcha covered Ron.

Cheers,

RR

OK, so I had 10 hard copies to distribute here on BoB and we're now there.

Thanks for playing all. Hope you enjoy it.

I'll be making digital downloads available on my website soon, and will post when it's ready.

:king:

Cheers,

RR

Got the set today, much more than what I expected. Started listening to it and it took me back to my youth. Can't wait to finish.

Stick":7j2j4356 said:
Looking forward to it Rande!
You should have it soon mate. Just hope it's not too "American" for you as it does pay tribute to the glory days of our AM pop radio days in the '60's going forward to the FM "Underground" radio in the late '60's/early '70's.

I have no clue as to what you chaps in Blighty were exposed to in radio in those days. And I rather suspect it was a bit different from what we in the colonies experienced during that period. You'll be the best judge of that.

It seems to me you had BBC Radio 1 through 4, with 5 being live music. All sanctioned by the state. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

In contrast, we Yanks had literally hundreds (if not thousands) of independently operated AM radio stations, all playing basically the same pop in the '60's. It's what everyone listened to, if one was listening to pop.

Of course, there were also AM stations that focused on other genres. But AM Radio ruled. No one knew any different until the late 60's when FM became a factor. And then much changed on the music scene.

FM now became a huge thing in the development. Now, we had album cuts of non-pop music, at least as far as the so called "underground" music scene was concerned.

The emerging FM scene had the focus on bands that had a disdain for 2.5 minute tunes, in favor of longer tunes which focused on the music rather than the hooks. Complex compositions, long solos, deep lyrics which had a message, and the like. This was revolutionary at the time, and many of us flocked to this. Myself included.

So what I'm saying is that FM changed the whole landscape here in the US. What was your experience in the UK?

Cheers,

RR

I'm through disk 2 and still going strong. Replayed a few bits as well to be sure I've not missed any of the development of the plot. Not a mindless listen by any stretch of the imagination. I'm definately going back to my own experiences during the hay day as AM gave way to FM. It's really captured the vibe of the time. On to disk 3!

Jim

Ozark, that looked like a darn fine evening!

I'm opening up the discs today and I'm super stoked. Thanks for including me in this :)

Brewdude":bl3kg9hm said:
Stick":bl3kg9hm said:
Looking forward to it Rande!
You should have it soon mate. Just hope it's not too "American" for you as it does pay tribute to the glory days of our AM pop radio days in the '60's going forward to the FM "Underground" radio in the late '60's/early '70's.

I have no clue as to what you chaps in Blighty were exposed to in radio in those days. And I rather suspect it was a bit different from what we in the colonies experienced during that period. You'll be the best judge of that.

It seems to me you had BBC Radio 1 through 4, with 5 being live music. All sanctioned by the state. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

In contrast, we Yanks had literally hundreds (if not thousands) of independently operated AM radio stations, all playing basically the same pop in the '60's. It's what everyone listened to, if one was listening to pop.

Of course, there were also AM stations that focused on other genres. But AM Radio ruled. No one knew any different until the late 60's when FM became a factor. And then much changed on the music scene.

FM now became a huge thing in the development. Now, we had album cuts of non-pop music, at least as far as the so called "underground" music scene was concerned.

The emerging FM scene had the focus on bands that had a disdain for 2.5 minute tunes, in favor of longer tunes which focused on the music rather that the hooks. Complex compositions, long solos, deep lyrics which had a message, and the like. This was revolutionary at the time, and many of us flocked to this. Myself included.

So what I'm saying is that FM changed the whole landscape here in the US. What was your experience in the UK?

Cheers,

RR
Very interesting Rande.

My memory of radio would start in the late 70s and early 80s when I first started taking interest in music.

As you've noted, the BBC had (and still have) several stations running. Radio 1 is more 'hip' and plays the most recent music in the charts and thus typically appeals to the younger listener. Radio 2 is a little more grown up and still features programmes such as Sounds of the 60s - I was listening to this only this morning - and typically appeals to your 30+s. Radio 4 is far more conservative and features plays and programmes such as the very famous 'Desert Island Disks' where famous people are interviewed and asked what music they'd have with them if marooned on a desert island. Tom Hanks was interviewed only last week. The Beeb do take music seriously though and will often feature artists and bands for a whole programme. For example some of my more favourite features have been the story of Pink Floyd or the Beatles. For me these programmes demand that I sit and listen intently so if I see it advertised I'll sometimes schedule it into my week or, with the advent of podcasts, download it and save it for when I have more time.

Radio for me though really started with Radio Luxembourg which transmitted on LW between 1933 and 92. I have vivid memories of getting a clock radio for Christmas and listening to tracks such as Golden Brown by the Stranglers phasing in and out, such was the way with LW, and for me was part of the appeal and intrigue. Radio Caroline was also very popular. In order to break free of the regulations that constrained the BBC, this station was broadcast from a series of ships in the North Sea (placing them outside of governmental jurisdiction) and thus was considered a pirate station. Several of our most celebrated DJs cut their teeth with Caroline before joining the BBC.

I think I'm right in saying that most stations including the BBC started out on AM but transferred to FM because of the better quality.

I have noticed that BBC fans do tend to evolve their tastes as they get older. Starting with Radio 1 they'll progress through to 2 and then 4 as they get more mature.

I would now consider myself quite conservative in my listening choices and love listening to the World Service and programmes such as Witness and the Science Hour - highly recommended, you can of course find them on the internet. If I fancy some tunes I'll head to Radio 2 where your ears will rarely get a pounding. Music will range from Pink Floyd to the 'easier' stuff in the charts.

Hope this answers some of your questions Rande. Replying to your post really has taken me on a trip down memory lane!

Stick":agzfzcdv said:
Very interesting Rande.

My memory of radio would start in the late 70s and early 80s when I first started taking interest in music.

As you've noted, the BBC had (and still have) several stations running.  Radio 1 is more 'hip' and plays the most recent music in the charts and thus typically appeals to the younger listener.  Radio 2 is a little more grown up and still features programmes such as Sounds of the 60s  - I was listening to this only this morning - and typically appeals to your 30+s.  Radio 4 is far more conservative and features plays and programmes such as the very famous 'Desert Island Disks' where famous people are interviewed and asked what music they'd have with them if marooned on a desert island.  Tom Hanks was interviewed only last week.  The Beeb do take music seriously though and will often feature artists and bands for a whole programme.  For example some of my more favourite features have been the story of Pink Floyd or the Beatles.  For me these programmes demand that I sit and listen intently so if I see it advertised I'll sometimes schedule it into my week or, with the advent of podcasts, download it and save it for when I have more time.

Radio for me though really started with Radio Luxembourg which transmitted on LW between 1933 and 92.  I have vivid memories of getting a clock radio for Christmas and listening to tracks such as Golden Brown by the Stranglers phasing in and out, such was the way with LW, and for me was part of the appeal and intrigue. Radio Caroline was also very popular.  In order to break free of the regulations that constrained the BBC, this station was broadcast from a series of ships in the North Sea (placing them outside of governmental jurisdiction) and thus was considered a pirate station.  Several of our most celebrated DJs cut their teeth with Caroline before joining the BBC.

I think I'm right in saying that most stations including the BBC started out on AM but transferred to FM because of the better quality.

I have noticed that BBC fans do tend to evolve their tastes as they get older.  Starting with Radio 1 they'll progress through to 2 and then 4 as they get more mature.    

I would now consider myself quite conservative in my listening choices and love listening to the World Service and programmes such as Witness and the Science Hour - highly recommended, you can of course find them on the internet.  If I fancy some tunes I'll head to Radio 2 where your ears will rarely get a pounding.  Music will range from Pink Floyd to the 'easier' stuff in the charts.

Hope this answers some of your questions Rande.  Replying to your post really has taken me on a trip down memory lane!
Ta very much for that lad. Yes, I've heard of the pirate radio stations. And now I'm clear on the content of the Beeb's 1 through 4 stations.

Yet it still looks like you chaps don't have the variety we have even now with the sheer number of stations available, some of which are very local in nature and others that cast a wide net.

I clearly remember back in the late '60's while still a Cheesehead in the Mil, WI area being able to tune in to a fantastic AM station which was ahead of it's time.

It was KAAY, broadcasting from Little Rock, AK. And during certain meteorological conditions their signal reached all the way to me in the Mil, WI area.

They were a lightning rod for the developing underground music scene, yet still broadcasting on AM. Their premier program was "Beaker Street" which I devoured with enthusiasm. Here's the wiki skinny-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAAY

So, it seems as though it was eclipsed shortly after by the FM stations. Yet "Beaker Street" and their vision of "colour radio" was a precursor for the the underground scene. Ground breaking stuff back then.

I could only pick up their signal while out in the rural areas back then. And then only later in the evening. I looked forward to their broadcasts. They were somewhat surreal at times.

And now in the digital age, few listen to radio these days. Pity, that.

And KAAY is apparently now a Christian station. Get your head around that!!

Cheers,

RR

BD, as others have already stated it really brings back the memories of the time period, even takes me back further at times listening to my old Aircastle Standard broadcast/shortwave radio. No I'm not that old but, it was all I had for a radio when I was a kid and it still work dam good. Didn't get a newer radio with FM on it till I was probably in my 20's.
I'm in the middle of disk 2 right now and it's been great my friend. Hope a lot more appreciate it like we do. ;)