finally going on a honeymoon and need advice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
When my beautiful bride and I were married (1989), I had a job at Ball State U. that started in just a few days, so I tried to convince her that Muncie, IN is the honeymoon capital of the Midwest. Ball State was a great place to work, but if you've ever been to Muncie, you know that it is not a honeymoon capital of any sort! However, I then promised to take her on a proper honeymoon to a tropical island soon. We saved our pennies and vacation time and finally I can keep my promise, (and in geologic time, 28 years is really quite soon, yes?).

Here's where I need your advice, (not the "honeymoon aspect, after almost thirty five years of dating, marriage and kids, I think we've got it kind of figured out). We're going to Hawaii; the Big Island, Kauai, and Oahu. I know Honolulu pretty well, but have never been to the other two islands. We're staying mostly at B&Bs, camping at Volcano N.P., and a couple of low-end hotels. We'll have a car throughout.

Any advice on where to go and what to do, or not go or do? Any good micro-breweries other than the famous one in Kona? Good restaurants or open bars where I can puff on my pipe and not get dirty looks (other than the standard dirty looks I normally get for just being me)? I would appreciate advice from those of you that know the area.

Thanks,

Natch

Boy, that's awesome!

I think smoking areas have tightened up there since I was last in Hawaii. Waimea Canyon on Kauai is very beautiful, and there are several waterfalls. Has some diving opportunity, and I think whale watching at certain times of the year. All I know of the big island is that it is a layover.