finding the "one"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
So I haven't been smoking pipes for too long. Smoked a few different kinds of tobacco and I still haven't found what I'm looking for, mind you I don't really know what I'm looking for exactly.

How long did it take you all to find a tobacco that you absolutely loved and couldn't get enough of? Do you have more than one? Sorry for all the questions guys. Just curious. :)

Aaron,

the guys around here try to make a standing joke about my afinity for John Middleton Walnut but I am dead serious about it. It is the one tobacco that, when I divert from it, which is very rare, I actually think about it while I am smoking the blend that I diverted to. I do like a few other blends and smoke them from time to time but I smoke Walnut about 98% of the time.

I am a one blend type of person and stick with a blend once I fall in love with it so to speak. I stumbled upon Walnut approximately 5 years ago when the blend that I had been smoking for a long time was discontinued. Before Walnut became my blend of choice I smoke C&D Yaller Dawg for a long time in the same percentage that I do Walnut now. Yaller Dawg was discontinue due to the lack of Syrian Latakia that C&D had access to. I still have some Yaller Dawg and only smoke it as the occasional treat.

When Yaller Dawg was discontinued and I was running low I started trying various blends and after probably 2-3 months I settled on Walnut pretty immediately after trying it. So to answer you question not really very long after I tried a blend was the time that it took me to settle on it.

I would aslo add that, If you start smoking a blend exclusively that really appeals to you it is like anything else in that you become familiar with it and your palette gets acustomed to it so it grows on you. Then when you smoke something else it confuses your palette and it just isn't as good. If you read some of the thoughts from the more experienced pipe smokers that write articles for beginners they will advise the same thing.

I've got several that I like more than others, but I still haven't found "the one" yet. I do enjoy the search, though. :lol:

LtMac

Aaron...Greetings from OKC!!! It took me a bit of time (as in a few years!!) to realize that I had an "English" tongue and that aromatics, burley, cavendish, etc. were not for me!! I do not have, and have never had, one "all-the-time, go-to" tobacco. You will find your "comfort zone" before too long. It may be a wide zone or a narrow zone; but it will be your individual zone!!! Keep experimenting and trying new tobaks; you'll find your comfort zone shortly!! FTRPLT

I, like most pipers, did my time with the drug store blends. It took me a while to find my tounge. I smoked better quality aromatics for a bit until I realized that people around me enjoyed them more than me. I picked up an English and the rest is history. One of the things I enjoy about pipes is the infinate variety. I find it hard to resist a tin I haven't tried before. Also, a blend will smoke and taste different depending on the pipe, the pack, ect. I would say, don't worry about "the one," follow your wims where they take you. You find that VA agree with you or English, but beyond that why limit pleasure? Marry a woman. Explore tobacco.

the macdonald":k9t0ivs4 said:
Marry a woman. Explore tobacco.
Here here! I have no intention of finding "the one." The thrill is in the chase, man! You will find many blends and styles you love over time. Infidelity is bad with women, but great with tobacco!

-Andrew

Yeah, went the married route. Got a son on the way, Amy is in her 9th month actually. We are very excited. But yeah still exploring the tobaccos.

adauria":90satz2y said:
the macdonald":90satz2y said:
Here here! I have no intention of finding "the one." The thrill is in the chase, man! You will find many blends and styles you love over time. Infidelity is bad with women, but great with tobacco!

-Andrew
You just keep coming to the TAPS meetings and continuing sitting at the table with Bruce and I and that attitude will change!

:lol!:

Justpipes":mxikka6n said:
adauria":mxikka6n said:
the macdonald":mxikka6n said:

-Andrew
You just keep coming to the TAPS meetings and continuing sitting at the table with Bruce and I and that attitude will change!

:lol!:
I'm surprised you didn't try to push the Walnut on me last time :)

Aaron: Congrats and best wishes on the coming son! All the more reason to show loyalty to the wife and whorishness toward tobacco.

-Andrew

Personally, I hope I never find my "Walnut",,,

The problem with finding "the one" is that the minute you do the blender either quits blending it or goes out of business. My "one" was Bufflehead Emperor Goose. I would say that it is much easier to find the "type" of blend that you like and then it is the "thrill of the chase" as adauria so aptly put.

The "One". Great idea, but difficult in the best of times. My first "One" was Blue Boar, but it was discontinued in the mid' 80s. I was pissed off that a company as large as American Tobacco would voluntarily stop a national favorite. But, I was smart enough, or I thought, to always have an 'ace in the sleeve', Edgeworth Ready-rubbed. ERRd was my go-to, and still is, even though Conwood Corp decided to stop producing ERRd as of 1 July '08. I'll probably go to an old standard like H&H or Walnut when the ERRd is gone.

again..........................another Walnut recommendation.
What shall I do ???

I, too, am still seeking my grail but have not yet found "the one".
Currently smoking a lot of MacBaren LBB and C&D Three Friars.
I Gotsta have variety, man !

I'd agree with what JustPipes is saying (I also love Middleton's Walnut though it's not my favourite) about sticking with one blend. I need to learn to smoke a blend in all conditions and environments before I am really stuck on it and then there's a real comfort factor that kicks in and deepens with time so that it's like an old friend. I guess I appreciate pipe smoking more for the comfort than the thrills. I can't build up this sort of relationship with a tobacco without smoking it for at least a few weeks. Including other tobaccos does sometimes seem to get in the way of this relationship developing. Since discovering the Internet a couple of years ago I have been trying many many different tobaccos and it's true that the sheer available diversity can sometimes lead to frustration. Experimentation is good but it maybe leads us to skip over a tobacco too quickly sometimes.

I smoked St Bruno pretty much exclusively for ten years and only deviated to other well-known favourites. Before that it was Condor. Now it seems to have become Prince Albert.

Maybe you don't "find" the one, you select a good candidate and simply "make" it the one ?

"The One" turns out to be the One Of The Moment. Next year it will be a different one. Your tastes will change over time, and that's a good thing. You'll revisit many of the Ones of the past, and re-enjoy them as you keep on exploring.

The problem with finding the "one" is that when you think you've found it your tastes change and you end up looking for another. But that is a good thing?It's not the destination that is so important but it is the journey along the way that is so enjoyable!

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST BLENDS WINS!!!

A young man's notion of happiness is a different woman every evening.

An old guy's is the one he loves.

:face:

I think Yak hit the nail on the head. I have been smoking a pipe for over thirty years and used to try anything and everything in hopes of finding the one. I was offerred Marlin flake about ten years ago and figured my journey was over. I smoke Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie almost exclussivly now and would be happy with just those two. Having said that, I still will try another VA from time to time just to add variety. I think as others have suggested it is type that is your best bet. On the other hand some find the chase to be just too exciting to settle. Find some blends you like in order to have something to fall back on and explore as you wish from there. When you do find some you really like, stock up big time if you can. As Mikem said as soon you find one the blender with change it or go out of business or sell the name.

One of things I love about pipe tobacco is the variety.
I'll never settle on "the one."
Mebbie "the dozen." :lol: