Finish rubbing off

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
A real neophyte question: is it common for some stain to rub off of a new pipe? It's happening with a recently-purchased briar.

I've done my best to minimize outside causes--making sure my hands are clean and dry, etc. Even so, I get bright orange stains on my hand and the soft cloth I use to wipe off the rim after it cools.

I've never had this happen before. (In fact, it took some real effort and lots of vodka-soaked cotton to get the stain out of the bowl of a cheaper Peterson.) Is this normal? Does it eventually stop if it is?

It happens occasionally. Seems like red stains are the most common for this to happen with.

Morn' All, I've had it happen with one of my Ashton's, it went away, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

Thank you for the quick replies, gentlemen. I shall let time take its course and not worry too much.

The new Pete's are sheer hell with the red stain. I use multiple flushes/ soaks/ rinses with alcohol to get rid of the stuff. I then flush it away with warm water. It takes a good while, but eventually it goes. Don't worry too much about a little leaking onto the briar - just wipe it off. It's not a bad idea to put a little wax on the outside of the pipe. Whatever made Peterson decide to use this very sloppy approach absolutely beats me. Just persevere - it goes away. I've broken in perhaps half a dozen new Pete's this way over the past two years (not sure) or so.

I have a group 6 Ferndown dublin REO (burgundy finish). The stain on the bowl remains as it was when I purchased it. The stain on the rim has faded somewhat, I think, due to my using a rag, etc., to clean it after smoking.

First I apply a good measure of saliva onto the rim and rub it off with rag. Then I apply wax to the rim and spread it evenly around it. I do the saliva rub to clean off any deposits of soot or whatever it is, including the old wax (see below) that gets onto a rim during smoking. I apply the wax so that during the next smoke the soot gets deposited on top of the wax, not on the rim. You have to do both things when the bowl is still warm; well, you can wait until it cools but applying the wax is more difficult.

I learned this technique from an old Knox board member, Patrick G or Halojumper, I believe.