Firebird knives D2 with Rc at 60.5 - 62+

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I just get a little spooked sometimes.  This time I was looking at some “high end” Chinese knives made by Ganzo for their Firebird line.  In the past they have mimicked designs from other makers but for the past year they’ve been doing their own designs.  And IMHO they are doing just about everything right.

What spooked me was the thought that if the USA gets into a trade war with China the price on these little beauties might well double.  And with these...price is a big part of the whole.  

The other thing is that they started using verifiable D2 steel.  You would not believe how many makers...big names in the industry...are having some of their knives test out either as not the steel they advertised and/or being WAY down on the Rockwell hardness scale.  We’re talking about a steel that should be at 58-59 testing out at 54 or 56, etc.  Gross.

So I bought two...one FH31 and one FH51.  These have been sent in to independent labs by several guys with the results showing them to be genuine D2 with a Rc of 60.5 up to 62.2!  And their edge retention tests are coming back right where they should.  

In addition...get this...in the case of the FH31 anyway...uTube Knife gurus are taking them apart to see what’s inside and they are finding ceramic bearings!  Amazing.  So you’re getting a D2 steel knife, properly done...plus contoured G10 scales...ball bearing pivot either stainless steel or ceramic...tip up deep pocket clip...and an otherwise great design (IMHO). Both are kind of a Warncliff, which I was wanting...also the forward finger choil and we’ll placed jimping.

Photos below.  The FH51 is blue/grey G10.  The FH 31 is the black one and has the ceramic bearings.

Oh.  BTW:  the FH31 is $25 on the big A.  The FH51 is $27.  Amazing. And the little beasties are being universally acknowledged as being solid, well made, knives. Absolutely not junk! A knife like this for $25 is pretty crazy.

———————

FH51

FH31

And the “exploded” pic.  Ceramic bearings are black.

I really appreciate your knife and steel threads. While I don't put much effort into my own digging and researching, I do have an interest in knowing this type of information and hearing educated experience and opinion.

Good looking knives. I have a thing for lock-blades, but I don't buy them. Too many to start collecting! I have a few, but I use them. My favorite I have is a Gerber made in U.S. not China. Just like I have a thing for pistols, especially revolvers, but, like a lot of hobbies, it's just too expensive for me. The more I look at those knives, the more I'm liking the blue handled one.

Like a number of other major manufacturers, Gerber knives are made here in the Portland area. When I was a kid I remember going over to the old factory in Willamette where my mom would buy sets of carving knives in walnut cases for wedding gifts. Special privilege...the owner was a patient of my father’s...who was an M.D. I still have several sets of carving knives and steak knives that we use on special occasions.